Help with new PSU (newbie question)

scrawnypaleguy

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I just bought a XFX Geforce 6600GT video card from Newegg. I didn't realize i needed a 450W PSU until i got the card. I am currently using a 430W (came with the case) and looking to upgrade. I have no idea what i am looking for. I want to get a least a 500W PSU, but most of the ones i look at on Newegg have a fan on top, but my case does not. Can someone please link me to a good PSU that should work with the new card (i read that it needs at least 20A@+12V).

Just incase, My system includes AMD Athlon 2700+, 2 Seagate SATA HD's, 2 sticks 512MB Corsair DDR400 RAM, Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS, ASUS DVD ROM, and MSI DVD +-RW

Thanks

bxmedic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
The Fan is not actually on top as it appears in the pics. That is done just to show you the fan. The PSU should be placed with the fan facing down into the case. It draws relatively cool ambient air up and pushes it out the back of the PSU to cool it. When buying a PSU always stick with a quality brand. With PSU's you really get what you pay for. :wink: A 600w PSU for $20-30 is crap and could in a short amount of time fry your system. :cry: If you have the $$$ I would go with a solid 600w-700w PSU. This will allow you some great upgeadabity. Stick with PC Power & Cooling <(BEST) Antec,OCZ,FSP (fortron group), Silverstone, Enermax and even Thermaltake is a solid performer as well. :wink: Good Luck

linux_0

Splendid
@ bxmedic

I agree :D

Great suggestions.

@ scrawnypaleguy If you have a quality case ( Antec, Thermaltake, Silverstone, CoolerMaster, etc ) then a 430W PSU is fine because a quality 430W PSU is actually more like an average 500W PSU.

If you have a generic 430W PSU then PLEASE do yourself a favor and get a decent one.

:D

scrawnypaleguy

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Lol, Like i said, Newbie question. Thanks for the tips. Lots less stress now that i know. :) One more question, do i want a higher or lower number on my 12v rail? i assume (yes i know what happens when you assume :wink: ) the A stands for Amps. Not sure which way to go as my PSU has +12v@18A and Thermaltake W0101RU 550W has 14A on +12V.

My case is a cheap ($35) Dynapower. The lights on the front aren't even in sync.

linux_0

Splendid
Lol, Like i said, Newbie question. Thanks for the tips. Lots less stress now that i know. :) One more question, do i want a higher or lower number on my 12v rail? i assume (yes i know what happens when you assume :wink: ) the A stands for Amps. Not sure which way to go as my PSU has +12v@18A and Thermaltake W0101RU 550W has 14A on +12V.

My case is a cheap ($35) Dynapower. The lights on the front aren't even in sync.

:D

Well since you have 2 HDDs and 2 optical drives you will need a little bit more power.

The higher the AMPs the better on all rails.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

This Antec PSU has 2 12VDC rails each rated at 19A which should be good :D

$74.99 after rebate :)

The TP550 should also have more than enough power to handle an AMD64 should you decide to upgrade :D

Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone, OCZ and others should be great too.

Interestingly enough the $89 ( $74.99 after rebate ) Antec offers 19A x 2 @ 12VDC while the $ 159 600W Seasonic I was just looking at provides 18A x 2 @ 12VDC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151025