System will not boot

knightrider

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Hello,

I have a system built on a Intel D865GBF motherboard with a Intel 2.8 GHZ processor, 1 GN memory, that all of sudden has stopped booting. When I turn on the power it will try to boot for about 3-4 secs then shutdown. System has been operational for about a year until now. CPU fan comes on, check for memory is happening as if i remove get the beeps signaling no memory. HD starts to spin for the last sec or so of teh sequence, then all stops.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hello,

I have a system built on a Intel D865GBF motherboard with a Intel 2.8 GHZ processor, 1 GN memory, that all of sudden has stopped booting. When I turn on the power it will try to boot for about 3-4 secs then shutdown. System has been operational for about a year until now. CPU fan comes on, check for memory is happening as if i remove get the beeps signaling no memory. HD starts to spin for the last sec or so of teh sequence, then all stops.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on?

<rant> Nice triple post, have to love click the Submit button over and over or the broswer screwing up </rant>

As for the system, reset the CMOS and see the system will boot. If it does, your CMOS battery is most likely dead and needs to be replaced. I had a system that suddenly stopped booting, and would not boot if they power cord was ever unplugged (and sometimes even if the power was not unplugged) and the cause was a defective/dead CMOS battery.

Also try the min boot (you know nothing but the RAM, CPU, video card, keyboard and see if the system will boot. If it does, try adding back in your other stuff (PCI cards etc) one by one trying boot after each one and see if it dies with a certain card.

It is also possible (but less likely) that your motherboard or CPU is bad. However, I am willing to bet the problem is your CMOS battery.

knightrider

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Yes, sorry about the posting. :)

I will give the CMOS another try. Intel states to remove battery/power for 10-15 mins then replace. I tried that with no positive result. Will try again.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Yes, sorry about the posting. :)

I will give the CMOS another try. Intel states to remove battery/power for 10-15 mins then replace. I tried that with no positive result. Will try again.

Well there should a jumper on your motherboard and 3 pins labeled CMOS reset. Move the jumper (usually on pins 1-2) over to 2-3 and leave it them for about 30 seconds. THen move it back to 1-2 and boot.