Ugh.. this thing won't turn on

Watersplash

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I'm a first time builder so excuse me if I sound noobish :)

I got all the parts for my pc today except for the cpu, so I put everything together and tried to see if it powered up.... and got nothing.

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with an unplugged cable, but the only thing I don't seem to have connected according to the manual is the case fan plug and cpu fan plug.

I didn't find a case fan cable, and I haven't gotten my CPU so I don't have a cpu fan.

Is it normal for the PC not to power up at this point?
I've connected the ATX power cable to the mobo and the two-pin power button cable firmly.
er.... or does this have to do with the CPU not being there? I expected a power-up and some beeps from POST.

Specs are
ATX case with 350W
PC Chips K7-FSB266 mobo
512mb Corsair PC2100 RAM
80gig WD HDD
Sony DVD-CDRW Combo
Geforce FX 6200

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Watersplash said:
I'm a first time builder so excuse me if I sound noobish :)

I got all the parts for my pc today except for the cpu, so I put everything together and tried to see if it powered up.... and got nothing.

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with an unplugged cable, but the only thing I don't seem to have connected according to the manual is the case fan plug and cpu fan plug.

I didn't find a case fan cable, and I haven't gotten my CPU so I don't have a cpu fan.

Is it normal for the PC not to power up at this point?
I've connected the ATX power cable to the mobo and the two-pin power button cable firmly.
er.... or does this have to do with the CPU not being there? I expected a power-up and some beeps from POST.

Depends on the motherboard.Some will beep letting you know there is no CPU, others will not do anything at all. Did the green/amber light on your motherboard come on? If so the motherboard is getting power. However trying to boot a system without a CPU is not a good idea.

Watersplash

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Yeah, I don't get anything at all. No lights, no sound, no movement.

trying to boot a system without a CPU is not a good idea.

:p I guess.. but I just heard that having a dead CPU won't affect the mobo's health and I wanted to see if I had everything right before getting the fat cpu+fan in my way.

I guess I'll check up more on the mobo then.

Watersplash

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Ahhhhh... got it to work 8)

Turns out this particular model comes with the jumper settings on CLEAR CMOS, and I didn't know the pins went upside down from 1-3.

Thx for the help.

"I didn't find a case fan cable, and I haven't gotten my CPU so I don't have a cpu fan.

Is it normal for the PC not to power up at this point?"

Yes, it's normal! :)

You have to have a cpu...

Edit! (It will power up without one??) DId not realize that! (Never tried it, I must admit!)

Watersplash

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Yep, to my pleasant surprise, the MB did power up, as did the case fan.
I didn't hear any POST beeps or get the LEDs to work, but I guess that'll have to wait until the CPU comes.