what am I doing wrong?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 25, 2005 1:59:27 PM

I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
and I recently changed video card to
geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
at those moments.
All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
figured it should run smoothly anyway.
How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
thanks for all your help
Mark

More about : wrong

May 25, 2005 2:40:25 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:59:27 -0400, 159@aol.com brought the following
to our attention:

>I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
>I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
>it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
>and I recently changed video card to
>geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
>I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
>some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
>at those moments.
>All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
>figured it should run smoothly anyway.
>How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
>thanks for all your help
>Mark

Sounds like the systems is either page filing or retrieving scenery.
On my old hardware.. AI can cause hiccups as described.. right before
ATC calls the AI flight is when the hiccups occur. If you added more
RAM.. the system may not interrupt and access disk as often.

-G
May 25, 2005 5:56:40 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:59:27 -0400, 159@aol.com wrote:

>I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
>I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
>it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
>and I recently changed video card to
>geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
>I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
>some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
>at those moments.
>All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
>figured it should run smoothly anyway.
>How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
>thanks for all your help
>Mark

thank guys for all replies
I'll try from the scratch and see what happens,
also I think I'm going to add more ram cause I also think
it could be a swap file causing it
in fact all my settings are set pretty high (like I mentioned before)
so I'll try at lower and start increasing those that are most
important.
thanks again
Mark
May 25, 2005 6:56:44 PM

<159@aol.com> wrote in message
>I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
> I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
> it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
> and I recently changed video card to
> geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
> I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
> some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
> at those moments.
> All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
> figured it should run smoothly anyway.
> How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
> thanks for all your help
> Mark
If you are not connected to the internet you might want to try switching off
and antivirus that is running and see how that goes.
May 25, 2005 6:56:45 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:56:44 +0000 (UTC), "Pilbs"
<someone@somewhere.invalid> brought the following to our attention:

><159@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
>> I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
>> it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
>> and I recently changed video card to
>> geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
>> I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
>> some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
>> at those moments.
>> All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
>> figured it should run smoothly anyway.
>> How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
>> thanks for all your help
>> Mark

>If you are not connected to the internet you might want to try switching
>off and antivirus that is running and see how that goes.

If you don't need to get RW weather or do WAN-Sim.. then the LAN can
be disabled temporarily. Tip: check box in LAN properties `display
tray icon' and also drag LAN connection onto desktop as shortcut.

When beginning Sim.. right-mouse on LAN tray icon and DISABLE. Also
temp disable AV (antivirus) and FW (firewall). In some cases.. the NIC
(network interface card) has same interrupt as audio board or other
shared IRQ device. Both NIC and audio have same IRQ here.. like 17.

When done Simming.. simply double-click on desktop LAN icon and in a
moment or two.. LAN is back up. :)

-G
May 25, 2005 6:56:46 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:19:26 -0400, Gregory
<flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> brought the following to our
attention:

>On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:56:44 +0000 (UTC), "Pilbs"
><someone@somewhere.invalid> brought the following to our attention:
>>
>><159@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
>>> I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
>>> it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
>>> and I recently changed video card to
>>> geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
>>> I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
>>> some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
>>> at those moments.
>>> All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
>>> figured it should run smoothly anyway.
>>> How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
>>> thanks for all your help
>>> Mark
>

>>If you are not connected to the internet you might want to try switching
>>off and antivirus that is running and see how that goes.
>>

>If you don't need to get RW weather or do WAN-Sim.. then the LAN can
>be disabled temporarily. Tip: check box in LAN properties `display
>tray icon' and also drag LAN connection onto desktop as shortcut.

here's view of lower-right corner of 21" screen.. with LAN icon and
also Sim launched from command line.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/LAN_connect.gif (3k)

-G
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:00:26 PM

"Pilbs" <someone@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 723nc$rtv$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> <159@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
>> I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
>> it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
>> and I recently changed video card to
>> geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
>> I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
>> some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
>> at those moments.
>> All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
>> figured it should run smoothly anyway.
>> How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
>> thanks for all your help
>> Mark
> If you are not connected to the internet you might want to try switching
> off and antivirus that is running and see how that goes.
^^^^ = any
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:02:43 PM

If you are having problems I am sure there are a few sliders that you could
either tone down a bit or switch iff. Also, I would say that 512 RAM is not
enough for FS2004 if you want to run at more than 12 or so FPS. You n eed
1024 . Your CPU spec is high, but I have no idea what your vid card is like.
To have every slider to the right and full AI traffic and weather would
probably need a computer that has not yet come onto the market. :-)

Try cutting down on texture distances, ground shadows and stuff. I would go
back to default myself, and then increase sliders that I felt were important
bit by bit. Also, try setting your FPS to say, 25 which is about the max the
eye can detect anyway. This is perfectly acceptable for FS2004. The 80 FPS
for arcade games is totally unnecessary.

Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:51:51 PM

<159@aol.com> wrote :

>I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
> I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
> it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
> and I recently changed video card to
> geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
> I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
> some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
> at those moments.
> All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
> figured it should run smoothly anyway.
> How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
> thanks for all your help
> Mark

what type is your hard disk (eide ? sata ?)
how much free space do you have in the hard drive ?

adding another 512 mb of memory wouldn't be that bad.

what are your graphic settings for fs ? I mean maybe you
get this at 1600x1200 ?

also, if the sounds you hear maybe a malfunction, try
something like norton disk doctor or check the disk
with the system utility, maybe a bad sector.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:54:58 PM

<159@aol.com> wrote in message
>I wandered if you could help me guys with this:
> I have (in my opinion) pretty fast machine
> it's Pentium 4, 3.2 G CPU, 512 Mb of ram
> and I recently changed video card to
> geforce 6600 gt pciexpress
> I still can't get a "smooth ride", what I mean is while flying, I get
> some hiccups and I can hear my Hard drive doing something
> at those moments.
> All my settings are aimed pretty high but since I have fast machine, I
> figured it should run smoothly anyway.
> How should I setup FS to get smooth ride and most reality possible
> thanks for all your help
> Mark

What you write very much suggests that somehow the you run out of ram.
If the total amount of RAM needed for your running programs exceeds your
physical RAM, the operating system is going to use the harddisk (swapfile).
That slows down your system considerately

Gerard
May 26, 2005 3:40:39 AM

Yes, I second the opinion of adding more RAM.
I suggest you add 512MB more to make a total of 1GB.
You should feel the difference there.
For the graphic card, 6600GT is just a middle level card.
If you have not bought it already, I would have suggested you to get
6800 or above.
FS is a very hungry program which eats up system resource.
There are many things to do to optimize your system while playing FS.
Like deframentizing your harddrive, stopping all or most background
applications while running FS...etc.
For fine-tuning your WinXP, read the article in
www.tweaktown.com
!