Epson RX500 printer problems

I've had this printer for approximately 6 months with no problems.
I've just recently replaced my printer cartridges with generics and
although did not have any problems initially, now I cannot get the
magenta (486) to clear up, I get vertical banding in anything that I
print. I have tried to align the heads (all well there), cleaned the
printer heads 8 times and checked the nozzles everytime thereafter and
always the magenta has gaps in it. I'm at a loss as to what my next
option is. Incidentally, the magenta was the first cartridge that I
had replaced, never had a problem up until now. Also, I use my printer
at least once a week (more since the Holidays). Should I try to
replace the cartridge again (magenta)? Continue to clean (this uses a
LOT of ink)? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
12 answers Last reply
More about epson rx500 printer problems

    Do you have any idea of how much ink is left in the magenta cartridge?
    Maybe you are just low on that color ink? I have refilled my black
    cartridge
    on my Epson RX500 with purchased ink and so far, it is behaving. I use
    black
    more than the other colors, but I'll be replacing them soon, as well. If
    low ink
    is your problem, buying another magenta cartridge is an easy way to check
    out
    the rest of the system.

    Sherwin D.

    <madiiisc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've had this printer for approximately 6 months with no problems.
    > I've just recently replaced my printer cartridges with generics

    There's your problem. Why do ppl still continue to buy expensive printers
    and then shove cheap ink into them?

    Si.

    Don't bother continuing to do cleaning cycles. They waste a lot of ink,
    since each color ink is used up, not just the one which is clogged.

    If you email me privately, I can send you an Epson cleaning manual which
    explains how to resolve this problem, at no cost.

    Although I won't point my finger at the generic ink company
    specifically, some things you need to understand:

    Although ink formulation isn't rocket science there are a lot of factors
    in making ink correctly. The correct proportions of water, alcohol and
    glycol mix, the correct dye colors and amounts, how well filtered the
    materials are and to what size to avoid head contamination, what pH the
    ink is, the drying time, fade resistance, etc. With pigment inks, the
    size of the pigment particles and how they are suspended in the base.

    Also, if the cartridge is a refill, the hygiene of the refilling
    company, and if it is new, whether the design is similar to the OEM
    version. Epson's ink cartridges are very complex (for the newer single
    color type) involving spring loaded valves, filters, and an liquid to
    air exchange filter, among other things. Simpler designs may cause ink
    starvation, ink evaporation or leakage.

    I am not suggesting no generics are good, some are probably just fine,
    but some are certainly disasters. You need to try to find out which are
    best by word of mouth.

    Lastly, there are Epson counterfeits out there and even Epson's own inks
    are not without reports of clogs, fading, etc., so that is no absolute
    guarantee of perfect results either.

    Art

    madiiisc@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've had this printer for approximately 6 months with no problems.
    > I've just recently replaced my printer cartridges with generics and
    > although did not have any problems initially, now I cannot get the
    > magenta (486) to clear up, I get vertical banding in anything that I
    > print. I have tried to align the heads (all well there), cleaned the
    > printer heads 8 times and checked the nozzles everytime thereafter and
    > always the magenta has gaps in it. I'm at a loss as to what my next
    > option is. Incidentally, the magenta was the first cartridge that I
    > had replaced, never had a problem up until now. Also, I use my printer
    > at least once a week (more since the Holidays). Should I try to
    > replace the cartridge again (magenta)? Continue to clean (this uses a
    > LOT of ink)? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

    Well, mainly because the printers aren't all that expensive relative to
    the cost of replacement inks. In fact, most cost the same as the first
    ink replacement and other only 2 or 3 replacements at most.

    People recognize that the printers themselves are good value for their
    dollar, but the inks are not.

    Art

    Si wrote:

    > <madiiisc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've had this printer for approximately 6 months with no problems.
    >>I've just recently replaced my printer cartridges with generics
    >

    > There's your problem. Why do ppl still continue to buy expensive printers
    > and then shove cheap ink into them?
    >
    > Si.

    Art, can you e-mail the suggestions you spoke of? My e-mail address is
    madiiisc@yahoo.com, I do not have your's.

    Thanks!

    In article <tgyAd.20209$Y72.5378@edtnps91>, Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > Well, mainly because the printers aren't all that expensive relative to
    > the cost of replacement inks. In fact, most cost the same as the first
    > ink replacement and other only 2 or 3 replacements at most.

    Then get quality 3rd party ink. I use JetTec. Better than the originals
    from Epson on my RX500 (according to printer profiling). They also
    guarantees your printer. Clogged head with JetTec, and they repair it
    for free.

    Had the first original set clog on me, could not clean it with cleaning
    cycles. Som ammonia based window cleaning liquid on the sponge for a day,
    and all works perfect again.

    > People recognize that the printers themselves are good value for their
    > dollar, but the inks are not.

    Agree.

    --
    Povl H. Pedersen - NoSpam@my.terminal.dk (yes - it works)
    Fastnet - IP telefoni: 5 kr/md Se http://www.musimi.dk

    What you wrote just confirms that something is wrong with inkjet idea
    itself. It looks like with the increased quality of print - achieved with
    smaller noozles - inkjets became more vunerable to printhead problems -
    clogging, burning out etc. I have still functional Epson IIs that prints
    with any kind of ink I fill the cartridge with, including pigmented inks for
    HP or Lexmark. No clogging, as in later Epsons - thanks to large noozles.

    If you do a reply to Art instead of reply group, you will have his address.

    > Art, can you e-mail the suggestions you spoke of? My e-mail address is
    > madiiisc@yahoo.com, I do not have your's.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I'm sorry but I do not respond to requests made in postings within lists
    or newsgroups.

    My email address should appear in every posting as part of the header.

    However, if for some reason your email client cut that off, you can
    email me at:

    artistic(at sign)telus(dot)net

    (please make the appropriate substitutions (@) (.))

    Art

    madiiisc@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Art, can you e-mail the suggestions you spoke of? My e-mail address is
    > madiiisc@yahoo.com, I do not have your's.
    >
    > Thanks!

    It maybe the build-up of dried ink, dust, dirt, lint and hair that can
    sometimes cause the "Printhead Nozzles" to fire crooked and that can
    cause a colored line to appear.
    Try this one first:
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/nozzle
    or
    http://www.inkjet-cartridges.co.uk/epson_tech_support.htm

    But, generally speaking, cleaning will not usually help if it is a
    hardware/parts problem.
    good luck!

    I have another problem after I install bulk ink system.
    Sometimes the printer will have error light flashing. I will have to
    restart my pc and restart my printer to get rid of the problem.
    Does anyone know how to resolve the problem.
  12. If you email me privately, I can send you an Epson cleaning manual which
    explains how to resolve this problem, at no cost.

    Saw this add and need your help with a rx500, just bought the cartridges and still have problems with this, a friend who services these tells me that you cant clean the head and need to buy a new one, refuse to believe this. can you help me please, ???
    Roberto L Arends

    robertoarends@hotmail.com

Printers Epson Peripherals