Small Office VPN Setup

We have two offices that presently use a dedicated ISDN line to connect
the winxp computers in office B to the NT4 server in office A. I would
like to get rid of the ISDN and have broadband connections in both
offices (DSL or cable) and then use VPN to connect the two offices.
They will also be 5 remote users who will access the server in office A
once in awhile. I know that the various versions of windows servers can
be VPN servers and the desktops have VPN client software, however from
reading other posts in the group I see that most people prefer to buy
separate VPN routers/gateways. And it also seems that IPsec is
preferred over PPTP.

What would be the best way to set this up? What VPN hardware should I
get for office A? Do I need to buy client software or can I use the
software that comes with WinXP? For office B I just need a
firewall/router right?

Thank You,

JJ
3 answers Last reply
More about small office setup

    You may wish to investigate the Cisco Product Adviser

    http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/index.jsp

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com® Cisco Resource Center
    United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
    U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    Website: http://www.BradReese.Com

    I would use a SonicWall Tele3 at Office A and B. I would then purchase
    their VPN client (which is excellent and cake to setup) for about $50
    for the remote users. You will have to buy a 10 node upgrade for the
    Tele3, not sure on that pricing. Trust me, after all is said and done,
    you will save many hours using these devices than XP's built in client.

    Good Luck!

    The least expensive way to do this is the use the PPTP VPN functionality
    that is built into NT4 Server, and almost all other Windows Products. The
    NT4 server can support multiple concurrent VPN connections. Other Windows
    products (XP, etc....) can only handle one VPN connection at a time.

    The advantage of this, is your remote users should easily be able to log
    onto the server from anywhere where they have an internet connection while
    travelling.

    No hardware is required for this.

    Mike Schumann

    "jj" <jjsphere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We have two offices that presently use a dedicated ISDN line to connect
    > the winxp computers in office B to the NT4 server in office A. I would
    > like to get rid of the ISDN and have broadband connections in both
    > offices (DSL or cable) and then use VPN to connect the two offices.
    > They will also be 5 remote users who will access the server in office A
    > once in awhile. I know that the various versions of windows servers can
    > be VPN servers and the desktops have VPN client software, however from
    > reading other posts in the group I see that most people prefer to buy
    > separate VPN routers/gateways. And it also seems that IPsec is
    > preferred over PPTP.
    >
    > What would be the best way to set this up? What VPN hardware should I
    > get for office A? Do I need to buy client software or can I use the
    > software that comes with WinXP? For office B I just need a
    > firewall/router right?
    >

    > Thank You,
    >
    > JJ

VPN Office Servers Networking