ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Me and my friend were working on his new rig and setting everything up yesterday. After bluescreens and windows installation problems, we finally got it to run good and install FEAR and all the drivers. So, we turned off the system and installed a Zalman VF-700CU on his video card. Put it back in, and..
The board powers up, with 3 debug lights, and takes about 6 seconds to start beeping; nothing on the monitor whatsoever.
If we remove the video card, it beeps instantly upon start up.
What are we doing wrong? What is broken? The board has been whiny about RAM, it took some effort to get 2 DIMM's running on it. We are using 1 stick in the 3rd orange slot.
His system is as follows:
DFI SLI-DR
AMD Opteron 165
Mushkin CH5
Hitachi 80g SATA2
EVGA 7800GT
XP90 cooling on CPU, Zalman VF700CU installed on videocard.
Please help us if you have any suggestions..

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Need to count how many beeps it does, after the 6 secs.

That would be more helpful to ya. See if DFI had the Beep Errors for the bios.

Here's a typical beep scheme for trouble shooting, though, not sure if all manufactors go by the same thing:

Beeps:

1 - Memory refresh failure
2 - Parity error, Faulty or incorrect memory
3 - Base memory error, incorrect ram
4 - Timer not operational, mainboard failure
5 - CPU faulty, or not installed properly
6 - 8042-keyboard controller chip error
7 - Processor exception interrupt, or faulty CPU
8 - Video card faulty, incorrectly inserted, or absent
9 - ROM checksum error, incorrect bios version
10 - CMOS shutdown error, faulty mainboard
11 - Cache memory error, inserted cache chips <--old one hehe

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Man, I really don't know. We tried like 3 seperate sticks of RAM in the third slot that is supposed to be best...2 of them were mine, and I was totally sure my two worked good. We totally cleared the BIOS, gave it like 8 hours to clear =/
It will beep basically neverendingly as long as it's on...

amd-x-bit

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Make sure to check the manual to see if you set the ram properly!

Try one stick of ram in the first slot turn the pc on then if it works then try the second in the same colour socket but the unoccupied same color slot as the first one if it works then I guess put the third stick in one of the open sokets.

Hope that helps...

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Make sure to check the manual to see if you set the ram properly!

Try one stick of ram in the first slot turn the pc on then if it works then try the second in the same colour socket but the unoccupied same color slot as the first one if it works then I guess put the third stick in one of the open sokets.

Hope that helps...
I did =(
Stupid piece of...sh..

Avman

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
First things first. Use a yellow slot for ch5 - The yellow slots are for higher voltage ram. I had this problem with some bad OCZ VX. What ram voltages did you set?

Avman

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I found it to be a real pain to clear the CMOS also. I had to try everything in the manual and after about 5 or 6 tries it finally cleared and rebooted.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
First things first. Use a yellow slot for ch5 - The yellow slots are for higher voltage ram. I had this problem with some bad OCZ VX. What ram voltages did you set?

"what voltage did you set"
pretty bad question since I can't GET TO THE BIOS. I turn it on, and it beeps. DFI makes crap boards I swear. Also, DFI says you have to run 1 module in the 2nd slot from the top or it will not work at all (ive tried every other slot) =/

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I found it to be a real pain to clear the CMOS also. I had to try everything in the manual and after about 5 or 6 tries it finally cleared and rebooted.
Dude, I tried that too. I put the CMOS clear jumper on, removed battery, turned off PSU and let it sit for 8 f*cking hours.

Avman

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
your original post said you were into windows/FEAR and only after adjusting the vid card did you run into problems.......when I had the same type of problem with this board clearing the cmos was also an issue ...so I suspect your CMOS hasn't cleared.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
your original post said you were into windows/FEAR and only after adjusting the vid card did you run into problems.......when I had the same type of problem with this board clearing the cmos was also an issue ...so I suspect your CMOS hasn't cleared.
We were into things with it all running, and after we turned on the comp after installing a gpu cooler it didn't do anything =/

Avman

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah - I had the exact same thing happen - It was a bad stick of Ram and it left me completely locked out until I could finally clear the CMOS by taking out the battery, putting the clear cmos jumper on clear and setting the safe boot jumper on at the same time. 3 minutes like that and it finally cleared.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yeah - I had the exact same thing happen - It was a bad stick of Ram and it left me completely locked out until I could finally clear the CMOS by taking out the battery, putting the clear cmos jumper on clear and setting the safe boot jumper on at the same time. 3 minutes like that and it finally cleared.
Hm, I tried that >< I'll make sure about the safe boot jumper though, but I am sure I did remove the battery and use the correct cmos jumper
I'm 100% sure the memory was fine since its my ram and i've memtested it/primed it very, very much at a lot of different voltages/speeds =/

Avman

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I was still locked out even when I put a known good stick back in - nothing would work at all until the cmos cleared.