Sign in with
Your question

ASUS en6800 problems !!!PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2006 5:24:44 AM

Ok first off, if you are reading this... thanks.

Ok so i just built a computer for my g/f to play WoW on, its my first build.

Here are the specs:

Cpu: athalon mobile xp 2800+ 754 pin
(yeah sounds kinda wierd but thats what Newegg listed the mobo cpu combo as a 754pin athalon XP wierd.... I always thought xp's were all socket A)

Mobo: PC Chips M871G (v1.5)

Ram: Gskill 1gb drr400 x1 and kingston value ram 512mb x 1

HDD: 120gb ata Seagate harddrive

GPU: asus Nvidia en6800 512mb ddr2 AGP

The system runs fine until i attempt to install the drivers for the gphx card. I have windows completely updated, I have updated the SIS AGP GART driver from the PC Chips website, tried the latest non-beta drivers from nvidia, nothing seems to work.

What happens: when the drivers are installed they finish the installation correctly. The system boots fine, the windows XP loading screen comes up (the whole sliding blue bar thing). I sit there expecting the windows welcome screen to pop-up but instead 1/2inch thick yellow and/or blue distorted (torn) verticle lines appear alternating between yellow and blue for about 10-15 seconds.

The system hangs with a blank screen (but it still has backlight) and I have to dry reboot it, booting into safe mode and removing the drivers.

Any ideas? I would appreciate ANY advice.

More about : asus en6800 problems

March 11, 2006 6:34:07 AM

No offense, but what were you smoking when you designed this system? That has to be one of the worst builds ive ever seen. Anyways, it could be several things, what kind of monitor are you running it on? Sorry to be such an ass, I just think you could have done a lot better job on the build (s939,pci-e, definately not a 512 mb 6800 agp)

OK, so it's definately a driver issue, im assuming this is your card? http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=2&l2=7&l3=3&model=992&modelmenu=1

That motherboard has built in video i think no? from what i could gather on the website. Maybe there is some conflict there. Also could be some setting of your refresh rate or resolution that is incompatible with your monitor maybe. sorry I can't be of much help

-Ian
March 11, 2006 3:35:02 PM

Look some of us are on a budget and can't afford to go PCI-e or 939, so please don't call my build crap; the system simply has to play WoW (As I stated)

That is the correct Gphx card that you have linked. I haven't tried it on a different monitor, I'll try that next(thanks for the suggestion).

I'm not positive if it was a driver issue or not because this happened when I tried to install an ATI x1600 pro a week before, and it gave me the same blank screen with backlight.
Related resources
March 11, 2006 9:25:46 PM

From what I can see the mistake you made is the mo. You should have got something from ASUS.Try to turn off the IGP from the bios and select the AGP slot as primary or try the same without the SIS AGP GART driver. :?:
March 13, 2006 4:36:31 AM

Ive figured out the problem.... aparently the CPU was sligtly o'cd. When reset to the normal clock speed the Nvidia drivers worked. I am guessing that because I had o'ced the proc the Pci and the Agp ports must have also been overclocked, and the drivers must not have liked that. Still for some odd reason the orginal/updated drivers from Nvidia do nto work. Thanks for the suggestions though guys.
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2006 6:10:40 AM

Quote:
Ok first off, if you are reading this... thanks.

Ok so i just built a computer for my g/f to play WoW on, its my first build.

Here are the specs:

Cpu: athalon mobile xp 2800+ 754 pin
(yeah sounds kinda wierd but thats what Newegg listed the mobo cpu combo as a 754pin athalon XP wierd.... I always thought xp's were all socket A)

Mobo: PC Chips M871G (v1.5)

Ram: Gskill 1gb drr400 x1 and kingston value ram 512mb x 1

HDD: 120gb ata Seagate harddrive

GPU: asus Nvidia en6800 512mb ddr2 AGP

The system runs fine until i attempt to install the drivers for the gphx card. I have windows completely updated, I have updated the SIS AGP GART driver from the PC Chips website, tried the latest non-beta drivers from nvidia, nothing seems to work.

What happens: when the drivers are installed they finish the installation correctly. The system boots fine, the windows XP loading screen comes up (the whole sliding blue bar thing). I sit there expecting the windows welcome screen to pop-up but instead 1/2inch thick yellow and/or blue distorted (torn) verticle lines appear alternating between yellow and blue for about 10-15 seconds.

The system hangs with a blank screen (but it still has backlight) and I have to dry reboot it, booting into safe mode and removing the drivers.

Any ideas? I would appreciate ANY advice.

Uch, s754, AGP, PCShits board and unmatched ram!!!!!!

ghjgjghjfgjgfftghhjgdhkjfghjgfhkjgfk
March 13, 2006 6:33:02 PM

First off.... its not my fault that the PC Chips mobo is a pos and cant set the latencies(or the clock frequecy) of the ram properly, if it was a good board, it shouldn't matter what the latencies of either stick was, they were both pc3200 and should have run at some default latencey. If I had the money at the time I would have bought something better.

Secondly there is nothing wrong with an amd 754, especially when im a really tight budget. And the same goes for AGP as well, there is no real card that fully takes advantage of the AGP inteface as it is, and once again ITS IN MY BUDGET!

Please don't criticize me for having a really tight budget... I'm a college student who is working and going to school full time I have very little extra cash. I am a guy who knows whats quality but can't afford it, and I try to make due with what I have.
!