Problem with power?

Thundersmash

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Hi just recently my computer has been sort of 1/2 shutting down as in, the fans are still running but os isnt, and then after few seconds the computer will reboot.

this is happening during 3d gaming and isnt a heating issue, played for 5 or 6 hours without problem in 3d game then all of a sudden will do it, others times will do it 2 or 3 times in 1 hour.

anyideas?

previously it had problem where fryed to power boxes, but after i replace it with antec truepower2.0 seemed fine till now....

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hi just recently my computer has been sort of 1/2 shutting down as in, the fans are still running but os isnt, and then after few seconds the computer will reboot.

this is happening during 3d gaming and isnt a heating issue, played for 5 or 6 hours without problem in 3d game then all of a sudden will do it, others times will do it 2 or 3 times in 1 hour.

anyideas?

previously it had problem where fryed to power boxes, but after i replace it with antec truepower2.0 seemed fine till now....

Your fans are running, but your OS isn't....ooookay.....so, when the OS "isn't running" and it hasn't rebooted, what state is the comp in? Does a big black hole open up and the meaning of life come out? :O!!

Could be a RAM issue, or Memory, or CPU, or Motherboard, or Power, or Heat, or Video Card, or Hard Drive, or End-User, or OS. Try all those and see what happens.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Thundersmash

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
what i mean to say is that it shuts down but not all the way as in you can still hear the computer on, but it kills the system ie no power to vidcard etc, and then after 20 - 30 seconds reboots system and its fine till it happens again

its also not heating issue, that im sure of.

but could be mobo or vid card drawin to much power but im not sure, not all the good with computers

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
what i mean to say is that it shuts down but not all the way as in you can still hear the computer on, but it kills the system ie no power to vidcard etc, and then after 20 - 30 seconds reboots system and its fine till it happens again

its also not heating issue, that im sure of.

but could be mobo or vid card drawin to much power but im not sure, not all the good with computers

Start by saying how big the PSU is....

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

linux_0

Splendid
mmm3.jpg
= correct :-D

Might also be a BSOD.

Go into the control panel -> system -> Advanced -> system recovery or whatever they call it and disable automatic reboots when a problem is detected.

Please grab memtest unzip it record it to CDR with ISO recorder, boot from the CD and let it run a memory test overnight ( 8-12 hours ) or even longer if you have the patience. Then watch for memory errors.

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

after that give http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm a try.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS