Cooling an overclocked Opteron 165

gis_mapper

Distinguished
May 20, 2005
I'm getting my Opteron 165 in a few days and plan to overclock it on a MSI K8N Diamond Plus motherboard mounted in a CoolerMaster Pretorian 732 case.

Is the supplied Opetron heatsink / fan combnation enough, or should I look into a third party solution? If so, which one?

In another post, someone mentioned they use the Thermalright S1-120 cooler ....

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
The Opterons usually run cooler than their a64 counterparts, even when overclocked, so the stock hsf SHOULD be enough for a slight overclock. Ofcourse, if you want to take full advantage of the chip, a better cooling solution is required. Good ones are the SI-120 you mentioned, scythe ninja, and the TT big typhoon. you need a good quality fan for the two first, eq a silverstone FM121.

A good and inexpensive solution is the TT BigWater SE, but not everyone wants anything to do with water inside their computers..

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
My 165 has been happily running at 2.63 using the stock HSF for 4 months now without any problems whatsoever.

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I know the stock cooler can be used to overclock a lot, but why just not buy a quieter and more efficient heatsink, that will allow you to overclock higher? Now, if you only do a modest overclock (~2.5-2.6 on a opteron), sure, the stock HSF should be sufficient. Btw, how loud is you're HSF at full load?

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
The stock HSF is pretty quiet. It isn't a regular HSF like the AMD64 procs come with, it's a rather large heat pipe design which isn't all that different from an aftermarket heatsink. I seriously doubt I could get this chip stable any higher than it is without liquid anyways, which to me is a little overkill for my needs. I'm happy with the 800+ Mhz OC and think buying a liquid setup for another 100-200Mhz would be a waste.