Sign in with
Your question

Vcore issues I think it is the powersupply

Last response: in Overclocking
March 11, 2006 11:46:16 AM

When I raise the v core for a stable overclock like to 1.4 asus probe reads 1.3 + or minus a little when the systems under load. Therefore I cant get a stable overclock. I think that it is the power supply, but not for sure.

intel prescott 3.0ghz @ 3.6ghz
1gig pqi ddr 400
asus p4p800 e-deluxe
6600gt
cheap crap power supply, but has never fell out of spec.
March 12, 2006 12:28:50 AM

Actually, it's pretty common to droop the voltage a little under load. I get that even with good quality power supplies.
March 13, 2006 10:31:26 AM

Motherboard. Should've got an Abit IS7.

Voltage Regulation is a bit crap for a premium board on those asus ones. Just ask Crashman - I remember him having the same problem, with either your board or its P4C800 sibling.
Related resources
March 13, 2006 1:23:11 PM

I bought the motherboard when it first came out. So I have been running this computer for a while. I plan on upgrading soon, but when the new processors come out. Conroe or am2 either one, Which ever one has the performance crown. So I'm not going to buy another 478 board. I cant get prime 95 to run 2 instances stable. I have the 3.0e @ 3.67 right now 5:4 ram running at about spec 400mhz,
but The v core is a 1.6. just wondering if that is about normal with the overclock. I need to raise it a little more to get it stable. Any suggestions.
March 13, 2006 1:43:58 PM

That VCore actually sounds quite high for that level of overclock on a scotty, but if more Vcore makes it stable, then I suppose that's a good indicator that it's necessary... :?

What are your temps? I would strongly suggest a high-level aircooler if you're overclocking a scotty.

The voltage regulation issues I mentioned happened with northwoods when trying to overclock them a lot. As the power requirements grow, the Asus boards (certainly back then, I have no idea with their current boards) started having trouble maintaining a stable voltage. Prescott CPUs already have considerably larger power demands than northwoods, which would suggest a S478 board with a Scotty is a poor combination for overclocking. I've never really looked into it myself, but it's a fairly well-known issue with Asus boards of that time - They would be full-featured, but were always worse overclockers than boards from Abit or Epox.

I would suggest just backing off the overclock and living with 3.4-3.5 Ghz (or whatever's stable), until you get your new rig, or maybe even just live with stock speeds, to avoid the possibility of killing your mobo. Placing additional heatsinks on the V-regs might help too, if there aren't already some there.
March 13, 2006 4:14:39 PM

I have a danger den tdx waterblock, ehiem 1048 pump, (a little small I know)
a 1977 boneville heatercore w/ 2 120 thermaltake fans, running on 7volts, 1/2 tubing.
Under load it hits 46 to 48 degrees celcius.
So cooling is covered.
I just thought with that I could push this to the max. I am running 1.6 vcore and will see how it does with prime 95. if I cant get it stable I will try backing it down. but the temps are good.
!