Backing up Computor

I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;
15 answers Last reply
More about backing computor

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:34:28 -0700, "William Strickland"
    <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote:
    >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    >back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

    I use the Dos version of http://www.bootitng.com/

    Fits on one 3.5 boot disk, writes to CD-R or DVD-R (I presume
    DVD+R as well, but I don't have one) and makes the backup disc
    bootable for an easy restore

    You may even try it before you buy to see if it will work on
    your particular set of hardware

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
    partition.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:34:28 -0700, "William Strickland"
    > <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote:
    >>I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    >>back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;
    >
    > I use the Dos version of http://www.bootitng.com/
    >
    > Fits on one 3.5 boot disk, writes to CD-R or DVD-R (I presume
    > DVD+R as well, but I don't have one) and makes the backup disc
    > bootable for an easy restore
    >
    > You may even try it before you buy to see if it will work on
    > your particular set of hardware
    >

    > John Thomas Smith
    > http://www.direct2usales.com
    > http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Hi

    Are you running XP Home Edition? If so, and depending on what type of XP CD
    you have, the Backup may be found in the valueadd\msft\ntbackup folder.
    Otherwise you may like to think about an Imaging program such as Drive
    Image - http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
    >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

    I think BootIt Ng will work for this Michael.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    message news:OphensHkEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
    > partition.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:34:28 -0700, "William Strickland"
    >> <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote:
    >>>I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    >>>back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;
    >>
    >> I use the Dos version of http://www.bootitng.com/
    >>
    >> Fits on one 3.5 boot disk, writes to CD-R or DVD-R (I presume
    >> DVD+R as well, but I don't have one) and makes the backup disc
    >> bootable for an easy restore
    >>
    >> You may even try it before you buy to see if it will work on
    >> your particular set of hardware
    >>

    >> John Thomas Smith
    >> http://www.direct2usales.com
    >> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
    system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an ASR
    (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off with a
    third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are several
    other good apps.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
    >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

    I agree that Acronis is the best and easiest to use application. Strongly
    recommend you try it. There is a free trial version available
    Regards
    Blair Malcolm

    > The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
    > system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
    ASR
    > (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off with
    > third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are several
    > other good apps.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
    > >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    > > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:26:58 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
    Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:

    >If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
    >partition.

    http://www.bootitng.com/image.html

    Not how it works... this program does not read a FILE SYSTEM, it
    reads the direct information from the hardware

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Thanks, Harry. You know, I almost didn't make that post. I should have
    checked first.

    --

    >I think BootIt Ng will work for this Michael.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    > message news:OphensHkEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >> If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
    >> partition.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I use the Dos version of http://www.bootitng.com/
    >>>
    >>> Fits on one 3.5 boot disk, writes to CD-R or DVD-R (I presume
    >>> DVD+R as well, but I don't have one) and makes the backup disc
    >>> bootable for an easy restore
    >>>
    >>> You may even try it before you buy to see if it will work on
    >>> your particular set of hardware
    >>>

    >>> John Thomas Smith
    >>> http://www.direct2usales.com
    >>> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Thanks, John, I was clearly wrong and I apologize.

    --

    > On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:26:58 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
    > Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
    >>partition.
    >
    > http://www.bootitng.com/image.html
    >
    > Not how it works... this program does not read a FILE SYSTEM, it
    > reads the direct information from the hardware
    >

    > John Thomas Smith
    > http://www.direct2usales.com
    > http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    This brings up a question and a problem that I'm having:
    1. Can anyone recommend a third party back up that supports an HP Travan
    tape drive?

    2. I can use the XP Pro back up utility to back up my internal drive to my
    external firewire drive. No problem. However, can cannot get it to backup
    to my dvd RW driver. Any idea why not? I get an error message that the dvd
    is not accessible and an incorrect feature.

    However, Nero's back up feature will work. Why won't WixXP's backup utility
    work with the DVD drive?

    Roger

    > The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
    > system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
    ASR
    > (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off with
    > third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are several
    > other good apps.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
    > >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    > > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:50:48 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
    Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:
    >Thanks, John, I was clearly wrong and I apologize.

    No big deal... what with directory "tricks" that different programs
    do accomplish various tasks, it is easy to think that what works
    HERE will also (or not) work over THERE

    I still can't figure out how they wrote a program to make an image
    and it will fit on a boot disk... sure a lot smaller for the same
    functions as the Windows based software I used before

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    I haven't taken a close look at the site and haven't even used bootit for
    quite some time but I would think the boot disk would simply provide a means
    of accessing an image file or executing a command that then restores the
    image file from a specific location. I don't think there's any compression
    they could use that would fit an entire image file on a disk unless the boot
    disk was a CD as opposed to a floppy disk.

    --

    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:50:48 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
    > Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:
    >>Thanks, John, I was clearly wrong and I apologize.
    >
    > No big deal... what with directory "tricks" that different programs
    > do accomplish various tasks, it is easy to think that what works
    > HERE will also (or not) work over THERE
    >
    > I still can't figure out how they wrote a program to make an image
    > and it will fit on a boot disk... sure a lot smaller for the same
    > functions as the Windows based software I used before
    >
    > John Thomas Smith
    > http://www.direct2usales.com
    > http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Backup MyPC should handle all of your requests
    http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/downloads/detail/1002-2242-10176011.html
    The answer to "why will nero backup to my drive and XP won't?" is that nero
    software is specifically designed to backup to optical media while XP's
    NTBackup program is not designed to backup to optical media. It is just that
    simple.

    You may wish to bookmark Alex Nichol's page on CD Writing in XP
    http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Roger Wilkerson" <rogerq@megapathdsl.net> wrote in message
    > This brings up a question and a problem that I'm having:
    > 1. Can anyone recommend a third party back up that supports an HP Travan
    > tape drive?
    >
    > 2. I can use the XP Pro back up utility to back up my internal drive to
    > my
    > external firewire drive. No problem. However, can cannot get it to
    > backup
    > to my dvd RW driver. Any idea why not? I get an error message that the
    > dvd
    > is not accessible and an incorrect feature.
    >
    > However, Nero's back up feature will work. Why won't WixXP's backup
    > utility
    > work with the DVD drive?
    >
    > Roger
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
    >> system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
    > ASR
    >> (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off
    >> with
    >> third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are
    >> several
    >> other good apps.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    >> > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

    Question 2:
    XP's backup program cant't handle _any_ optical disks....

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Roger Wilkerson" <rogerq@megapathdsl.net> kirjoitti viestissä
    > This brings up a question and a problem that I'm having:
    > 1. Can anyone recommend a third party back up that supports an HP Travan
    > tape drive?
    >
    > 2. I can use the XP Pro back up utility to back up my internal drive to
    my
    > external firewire drive. No problem. However, can cannot get it to
    backup
    > to my dvd RW driver. Any idea why not? I get an error message that the
    dvd
    > is not accessible and an incorrect feature.
    >
    > However, Nero's back up feature will work. Why won't WixXP's backup
    utility
    > work with the DVD drive?
    >
    > Roger
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    > > The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
    > > system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
    > ASR
    > > (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off
    with
    > > third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are
    several
    > > other good apps.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
    > > >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
    > > > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

    It can if there's packet writing software installed. In the case of a DVD
    burner, there is no built in support so the burning program needs to have a
    packet writing component installed as well. Not having used Nero's
    software, I don't know the nature of their backup routine and what kind of
    disk it creates.

    --

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Question 2:
    > XP's backup program cant't handle _any_ optical disks....
    >

    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >
    > "Roger Wilkerson" <rogerq@megapathdsl.net> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> This brings up a question and a problem that I'm having:
    >> 1. Can anyone recommend a third party back up that supports an HP Travan
    >> tape drive?
    >>
    >> 2. I can use the XP Pro back up utility to back up my internal drive to
    > my
    >> external firewire drive. No problem. However, can cannot get it to
    > backup
    >> to my dvd RW driver. Any idea why not? I get an error message that the
    > dvd
    >> is not accessible and an incorrect feature.
    >>
    >> However, Nero's back up feature will work. Why won't WixXP's backup
    > utility
    >> work with the DVD drive?
    >>
    >> Roger
    >>
    >> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> > The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing
    >> > full
    >> > system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
    >> ASR
    >> > (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off
    > with
    >> > third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are
    > several
    >> > other good apps.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]