Backing up Computor

I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:34:28 -0700, "William Strickland"
<WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote:
>I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
>back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

I use the Dos version of http://www.bootitng.com/

Fits on one 3.5 boot disk, writes to CD-R or DVD-R (I presume
DVD+R as well, but I don't have one) and makes the backup disc
bootable for an easy restore

You may even try it before you buy to see if it will work on
your particular set of hardware

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
partition.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:34:28 -0700, "William Strickland"
> <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote:
>>I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
>>back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;
>
> I use the Dos version of http://www.bootitng.com/
>
> Fits on one 3.5 boot disk, writes to CD-R or DVD-R (I presume
> DVD+R as well, but I don't have one) and makes the backup disc
> bootable for an easy restore
>
> You may even try it before you buy to see if it will work on
> your particular set of hardware
>

> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Hi

Are you running XP Home Edition? If so, and depending on what type of XP CD
you have, the Backup may be found in the valueadd\msft\ntbackup folder.
Otherwise you may like to think about an Imaging program such as Drive
Image - http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
>I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
> back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

I think BootIt Ng will work for this Michael.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
message news:OphensHkEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
> partition.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:34:28 -0700, "William Strickland"
>> <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote:
>>>I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
>>>back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;
>>
>> I use the Dos version of http://www.bootitng.com/
>>
>> Fits on one 3.5 boot disk, writes to CD-R or DVD-R (I presume
>> DVD+R as well, but I don't have one) and makes the backup disc
>> bootable for an easy restore
>>
>> You may even try it before you buy to see if it will work on
>> your particular set of hardware
>>

>> John Thomas Smith
>> http://www.direct2usales.com
>> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an ASR
(Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off with a
third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are several
other good apps.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
>I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
> back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

Blair

I agree that Acronis is the best and easiest to use application. Strongly
recommend you try it. There is a free trial version available
Regards
Blair Malcolm

> The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
> system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
ASR
> (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off with
> third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are several
> other good apps.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
> >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
> > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:26:58 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:

>If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
>partition.

http://www.bootitng.com/image.html

Not how it works... this program does not read a FILE SYSTEM, it
reads the direct information from the hardware

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Thanks, Harry. You know, I almost didn't make that post. I should have
checked first.

--

>I think BootIt Ng will work for this Michael.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
> message news:OphensHkEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
>> partition.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I use the Dos version of http://www.bootitng.com/
>>>
>>> Fits on one 3.5 boot disk, writes to CD-R or DVD-R (I presume
>>> DVD+R as well, but I don't have one) and makes the backup disc
>>> bootable for an easy restore
>>>
>>> You may even try it before you buy to see if it will work on
>>> your particular set of hardware
>>>

>>> John Thomas Smith
>>> http://www.direct2usales.com
>>> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Thanks, John, I was clearly wrong and I apologize.

--

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:26:58 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
> Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:
>
>>If he's using NTFS, the DOS boot disk won't be able to see the NTFS
>>partition.
>
> http://www.bootitng.com/image.html
>
> Not how it works... this program does not read a FILE SYSTEM, it
> reads the direct information from the hardware
>

> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

This brings up a question and a problem that I'm having:
1. Can anyone recommend a third party back up that supports an HP Travan
tape drive?

2. I can use the XP Pro back up utility to back up my internal drive to my
external firewire drive. No problem. However, can cannot get it to backup
to my dvd RW driver. Any idea why not? I get an error message that the dvd
is not accessible and an incorrect feature.

However, Nero's back up feature will work. Why won't WixXP's backup utility
work with the DVD drive?

Roger

> The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
> system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
ASR
> (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off with
> third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are several
> other good apps.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
> >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
> > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:50:48 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:
>Thanks, John, I was clearly wrong and I apologize.

No big deal... what with directory "tricks" that different programs
do accomplish various tasks, it is easy to think that what works
HERE will also (or not) work over THERE

I still can't figure out how they wrote a program to make an image
and it will fit on a boot disk... sure a lot smaller for the same
functions as the Windows based software I used before

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

I haven't taken a close look at the site and haven't even used bootit for
quite some time but I would think the boot disk would simply provide a means
of accessing an image file or executing a command that then restores the
image file from a specific location. I don't think there's any compression
they could use that would fit an entire image file on a disk unless the boot
disk was a CD as opposed to a floppy disk.

--

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:50:48 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
> Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:
>>Thanks, John, I was clearly wrong and I apologize.
>
> No big deal... what with directory "tricks" that different programs
> do accomplish various tasks, it is easy to think that what works
> HERE will also (or not) work over THERE
>
> I still can't figure out how they wrote a program to make an image
> and it will fit on a boot disk... sure a lot smaller for the same
> functions as the Windows based software I used before
>
> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Backup MyPC should handle all of your requests
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/downloads/detail/1002-2242-10176011.html
The answer to "why will nero backup to my drive and XP won't?" is that nero
software is specifically designed to backup to optical media while XP's
NTBackup program is not designed to backup to optical media. It is just that
simple.

You may wish to bookmark Alex Nichol's page on CD Writing in XP
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Roger Wilkerson" <rogerq@megapathdsl.net> wrote in message
> This brings up a question and a problem that I'm having:
> 1. Can anyone recommend a third party back up that supports an HP Travan
> tape drive?
>
> 2. I can use the XP Pro back up utility to back up my internal drive to
> my
> external firewire drive. No problem. However, can cannot get it to
> backup
> to my dvd RW driver. Any idea why not? I get an error message that the
> dvd
> is not accessible and an incorrect feature.
>
> However, Nero's back up feature will work. Why won't WixXP's backup
> utility
> work with the DVD drive?
>
> Roger
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
>> system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
> ASR
>> (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off
>> with
>> third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are
>> several
>> other good apps.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
>> >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
>> > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

Question 2:
XP's backup program cant't handle _any_ optical disks....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Roger Wilkerson" <rogerq@megapathdsl.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> This brings up a question and a problem that I'm having:
> 1. Can anyone recommend a third party back up that supports an HP Travan
> tape drive?
>
> 2. I can use the XP Pro back up utility to back up my internal drive to
my
> external firewire drive. No problem. However, can cannot get it to
backup
> to my dvd RW driver. Any idea why not? I get an error message that the
dvd
> is not accessible and an incorrect feature.
>
> However, Nero's back up feature will work. Why won't WixXP's backup
utility
> work with the DVD drive?
>
> Roger
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> > The Backup program that comes with XP is not the best app for doing full
> > system backups. In fact the version that ships with XP Home can't do an
> ASR
> > (Automated System Recovery) so it won't help much. You are better off
with
> > third party app. Personally I like Acronis TrueImage but there are
several
> > other good apps.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "William Strickland" <WSWMSTRICK@cs.com> wrote in message
> > >I am about to install Service Pak 2 by Disc. How do you
> > > back up computor. Backup not shown in my System Tools.;

It can if there's packet writing software installed. In the case of a DVD
burner, there is no built in support so the burning program needs to have a
packet writing component installed as well. Not having used Nero's
software, I don't know the nature of their backup routine and what kind of
disk it creates.