  • Power
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
September 1, 2004 4:52:08 PM

Hi I have a 6 in 1 card reader and it is on my Win XP SP2 Home system. It
is a USB reader and is plugged into one of the 4 USB ports on my computer.
When the reader has been unused for some time...not sure how long ... the
power light is out on it and the drives are no longer available... I have to
unplug it and plug it back in to get a memory card to read... can anyone
suggest how I correct this problem ... it is not critical but it is
annoying...thanks.

More about : card reader power shuts time

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 8:31:48 PM

First, check the options of the device to make sure it doesn't have some
default shutdown after some period of time.

If no, open Control Panel, open System, go to the Hardware tab, click Device
Manager where should have found the above device for the above procedure
assuming you don't have a separate application installed for the device,
click the plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right click
the various USB Root Hub entries, select properties, go to the Power
Management tab, remove the check from "Allow the computer to turn off this
device to save power," click apply and ok and see if that resolves the
issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Dave" <harr1s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi I have a 6 in 1 card reader and it is on my Win XP SP2 Home system. It
> is a USB reader and is plugged into one of the 4 USB ports on my computer.
> When the reader has been unused for some time...not sure how long ... the
> power light is out on it and the drives are no longer available... I have
> to unplug it and plug it back in to get a memory card to read... can
> anyone suggest how I correct this problem ... it is not critical but it is
> annoying...thanks.

September 2, 2004 12:03:04 PM

Thanks Michael,

That was exactly what I was looking for... in fact I had already been into
the Device Manager and looked at the USB connections .. but must have missed
the save power message... I unchecked the box and I am sure it will run fine
now... thanks again.. you were a great help.

Dave

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
message news:o cB$TvHkEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> First, check the options of the device to make sure it doesn't have some
> default shutdown after some period of time.
>
> If no, open Control Panel, open System, go to the Hardware tab, click
> Device Manager where should have found the above device for the above
> procedure assuming you don't have a separate application installed for the
> device, click the plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers,
> right click the various USB Root Hub entries, select properties, go to the
> Power Management tab, remove the check from "Allow the computer to turn
> off this device to save power," click apply and ok and see if that
> resolves the issue.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Dave" <harr1s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi I have a 6 in 1 card reader and it is on my Win XP SP2 Home system.
>> It is a USB reader and is plugged into one of the 4 USB ports on my
>> computer. When the reader has been unused for some time...not sure how
>> long ... the power light is out on it and the drives are no longer
>> available... I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get a memory card
>> to read... can anyone suggest how I correct this problem ... it is not
>> critical but it is annoying...thanks.

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 3:48:59 PM

You're welcome, Dave, good luck.