New Intel CPU temperature?

silenkiller

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Will this new chip from intel be as cool as AMD'S though? I want a cool cpu, not one that I can fry an egg on like my current P4 3.0 :(

Anyone have info on that?

silenkiller

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks man. I like running a cool rig so thats why I've been planning on going AMD instead of intel.. but now I may just wait til 07 and hit up Intel.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
In the meantime get some air cooling and be sure the CPU is installed properly. Add thermal paste if necesary.
And don't worry about temps. As long as they are under 65 they won't damage the CPU.
Voltage and frequency are the main factors that kill CPUs these days, not heat.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I will say this. Any New core Like Intel or even Amd is Wait and watch. Or you might be buying buggie chip. Even if it cool. 90f is fine if it works. But if the chip has faults then 90f not worth it.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
LOL. I must Admit Since All this Conroe Stuff is Gonig On, I'm becoming a Less BIAS user. I think if i Can Get a Conroe For Cheaper than a Opteron or a FX_series I'll Go for it Because Seeing the Anandtech Demo and the Comparisons again and again. Conroe Really Does seem to Hold its Balls inplace. and if does'nt beak its ball wehn it comes out with either a dissapointing performance ration or a Xtremely high Price. I'll Seriously Consider Buying CONROE. Yeah,yeah i'm not a AMD Teabagger anymore but if AM2 kicks COnroe out i'll jump the AMD band wagon again.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, your current P4 should'nt be running hot in the first place.

The newer presler cores and conroes will and should run much cooler. I have a prescott 3Ghz and it runs cool. What are the temps?

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Voltage and frequency are the main factors that kill CPUs these days, not heat.
Thats not entirely true. Heat IS the ultimate cause of CPU failure short of a blatant overvoltage or surge such as ESD. Naturally, you don't go into your BIOS and Immediately raise your Vcore beyond MAX recommended. Everything sould be done in increments. You may reduce your CPU's life by applying too excessive a Vcore for a prolonged period of time but as long as you cool it accordingly, you should be fine unless the CPU is of lower than average production quality. Frequency has absolutely nothing to do with CPU failure/reliability issues.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The new Cedar Mill and Preslers actually run much cooler than the Prescott and Smithfields. If you want a cooler running CPU that OC's like crazy, the P4 6x1 series CedarMills may be what your looking for if Dual core is not in your plans or budget. I've yet to read the review personally, but from what I've heard, the Cedar Mills are close to the same temps as the A64's due to it's 65nm design. They may be worth your consideration if you chose not to wait until Conroe and their prices are set to drop come April and perhaps even more upon Conroe's release making them a very good buy.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Heat problem can be solved with a proper cooler.
Frequency was the main factor in Net burst that generated heat. So changing frequency will shorten CPU life. Buffing frequency will generate more heat and so it's of a higher priority.
Vcore chews on your CPUs life no matter how well you cool it. A OC Opteron with changed Voltage and all the cooling in the world will die faster than a Opteron at stock.
It's Vcore>Freq>Heat

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Frequency was the main factor in Net burst that generated heat.
Everything you reference comes back to HEAT = #1 issue and yes, an effective cooler will eliminate the problem. Netburst is the P4 generation so how was heat an issue with the Nortwood core? It wasn't. Prescott cores are where heat became an issue. Frequencies DID NOT CHANGE between cores and was NOT the reason for increased heat. Heat generated by frequencies is inconsequential as it can be neutralized by an effective cooling solution. The Cedar Mill/Presler cores prove that it's more to do with core architecture than frequency.
#1 killer= HEAT
#2 killer= Vcore surge either self induced or accidental.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
The new Cedar Mill and Preslers actually run much cooler than the Prescott and Smithfields. If you want a cooler running CPU that OC's like crazy, the P4 6x1 series CedarMills may be what your looking for if Dual core is not in your plans or budget. I've yet to read the review personally, but from what I've heard, the Cedar Mills are close to the same temps as the A64's due to it's 65nm design and EIST. They may be worth your consideration if you chose not to wait until Conroe and their prices are set to drop come April and perhaps even more upon Conroe's release making them a very good buy.

Cedar Mills currently do not have EIST.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Cedar Mills currently do not have EIST.

I gess Intel did not want anyone to know how much the die shrink gave? I mean EIST would have been nothing to implement. So they were happy with 17%, and may have been able to get over 25% at idle. Not to mention the fact that 4ghz+ chips are very possible.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
That's right. I forgot that they will not have EIST until the 2nd quarter. My mistake. Perhaps they will run even cooler, much like AMD's cool n' quiet?? They do currently run cooler than previous P4's though, even without EIST.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Ahhhh, then EIST is another added benefit of the Preslers while still allowing for some OC'ing.
At least Intel will finally get it right once EIST is added to Cedar mill and it still has HT. Nice.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
I'd say the more energy passes through the chip,the worse it is.
For example
sistem1 (using Vapo Chill OC and raised vcore but staying a littlecooler than a system2 OC with stock cooler/vcore) will have a shorter life when compared to sistem 2. (provided that the temps are not sky high)
And i was talking about frequency when OCing. Raising frequency leads to more heat. So frequency>heat .

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I'd say the more energy passes through the chip,the worse it is.
For example
sistem1 (using Vapo Chill OC and raised vcore but staying a littlecooler than a system2 OC with stock cooler/vcore) will have a shorter life when compared to sistem 2. (provided that the temps are not sky high)
And i was talking about frequency when OCing. Raising frequency leads to more heat. So frequency>heat .

I would not call sub-zero temps "a little cooler." Voltage kills, at any temp.