If the ink freezes

Would like to carry an Epson 820 inkjet printer in my car fulltime. Am
located in southern New England where overnight freezes are constant.
Assuming frequent freezing and thawing, will cartridges burst? Will ink
or printer likely be affected by freezing?

I would think this sort of thing happens all the time, during shipping, and
sitting in delivery trucks, and airplanes. Just make sure it's thawed, and
room temperature, before attempting to use it. Watch out for condensation
getting on the electrical contacts...may interfere with a good connection.

Bill Crocker

<pixsnap@juno.com> wrote in message
> Would like to carry an Epson 820 inkjet printer in my car fulltime. Am
> located in southern New England where overnight freezes are constant.
> Assuming frequent freezing and thawing, will cartridges burst? Will ink
> or printer likely be affected by freezing?

Epson inks have glycol and alcohol in them which act as antifreeze up to
a point. However, if things get cold enough they can freeze.

If the ink freezes in the heads it could expand enough to damage them.
The damage to the cartridge is of a lesser issue, although even there it
could cause the cartridge to crack under certain conditions.

Unless someone has personally done what you are considering, I would say
you are in somewhat uncharted territory.

Art