xp service pack 2

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
September 1, 2004 2:03:04 PM

I have tried to get the xpservice pack 2 without success. When I go to the
update screen and select the express update it starts an update. It tries to
download the BIT service. Each time It says the "Background Intelligent
Transfer Service Bits 2.0 and WinHTTP5.1 (KB8422773) was not downloaded.
The automatic update is turned on as it the BIT service. The udate icon
shows in the task tray, and when I click it the "Do you want to install
updates?" screen appears.
However it won't install.
Need Advise

Bob S

More about : service pack

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 6:40:40 PM

Hi Bob,

Try "manually" d/loading the update from the Download Center:
http://tinyurl.com/5rzcq

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote in message
> I have tried to get the xpservice pack 2 without success. When I go to the
> update screen and select the express update it starts an update. It tries
> download the BIT service. Each time It says the "Background Intelligent
> Transfer Service Bits 2.0 and WinHTTP5.1 (KB8422773) was not downloaded.
> The automatic update is turned on as it the BIT service. The udate icon
> shows in the task tray, and when I click it the "Do you want to install
> updates?" screen appears.
> However it won't install.
> Need Advise
>
> Bob S

September 1, 2004 6:40:41 PM

Thank you Patti,

I got ithe Bit update downloaded and then tryed to download the service
pack2. It sarted then failed, then I started it again and it downloaded 9mb,
stopped and after 5 restarts I got it to download a tofal of 32mb. I finally
gave up and ordered the disc.

Bob S

"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
news:o m4ywMFkEHA.3852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bob,
>
> Try "manually" d/loading the update from the Download Center:
> http://tinyurl.com/5rzcq
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote in message
> > I have tried to get the xpservice pack 2 without success. When I go to
the
> > update screen and select the express update it starts an update. It
tries
> > download the BIT service. Each time It says the "Background Intelligent
> > Transfer Service Bits 2.0 and WinHTTP5.1 (KB8422773) was not downloaded.
> > The automatic update is turned on as it the BIT service. The udate icon
> > shows in the task tray, and when I click it the "Do you want to install
> > updates?" screen appears.
> > However it won't install.
> > Need Advise
> >
> > Bob S

September 2, 2004 2:35:28 AM

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:32:29 -0700, "Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote:

>Thank you Patti,
>
>I got ithe Bit update downloaded and then tryed to download the service
>pack2. It sarted then failed, then I started it again and it downloaded 9mb,
>stopped and after 5 restarts I got it to download a tofal of 32mb. I finally
>gave up and ordered the disc.
>
>Bob S

At this point in time, one has to have masochistic traits to go to all
the trouble downloading and installing SP2 in the condition it is in.
From what I have seen, and witnessed with friends' doorstop PC's after
the SP2 "upgrade", I can only agree with the recommendations of
several IT personnel at many corporations (well at least according to
a recent article in the local paper here in Minneapolis) that have
disabled the "automatic update" feature on the PC's on their networks.
SP2 will go in the books at the most laughable and, unfortunately for
the victims involved, disastrous attempt of Micro$oft to close the
security holes in their OS.
If you practice safe Hex, have a firewall (hard- or software) on your
network and update your AV software regularly, you are in much better
shape then you risk by installing SP2. There is no need for SP2, as it
creates much more problems then it claims to fix.

==VernMan==
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 2:35:29 AM

You can get the WINXP SP2 CD , free at staples right now,,I git mine Sunday,
cancelled the cd order,,lol

"VernMan@my.home" wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:32:29 -0700, "Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote:
>
> >Thank you Patti,
> >
> >I got ithe Bit update downloaded and then tryed to download the service
> >pack2. It sarted then failed, then I started it again and it downloaded 9mb,
> >stopped and after 5 restarts I got it to download a tofal of 32mb. I finally
> >gave up and ordered the disc.
> >
> >Bob S
> >
> At this point in time, one has to have masochistic traits to go to all
> the trouble downloading and installing SP2 in the condition it is in.
> From what I have seen, and witnessed with friends' doorstop PC's after
> the SP2 "upgrade", I can only agree with the recommendations of
> several IT personnel at many corporations (well at least according to
> a recent article in the local paper here in Minneapolis) that have
> disabled the "automatic update" feature on the PC's on their networks.
> SP2 will go in the books at the most laughable and, unfortunately for
> the victims involved, disastrous attempt of Micro$oft to close the
> security holes in their OS.
> If you practice safe Hex, have a firewall (hard- or software) on your
> network and update your AV software regularly, you are in much better
> shape then you risk by installing SP2. There is no need for SP2, as it
> creates much more problems then it claims to fix.
>
> ==VernMan==

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 2:44:55 AM

You could just download the network version (full install) but it is over
200MB so have a fast connection
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]