Sign in with
Your question

System Crashes when idle or being used???

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2006 7:58:49 PM

I get about five "Machine_Stop_Error" crashes a day. I have a Compaq Presario 5108US with a retail version of XP Home Edition installed. The Geek Squad at Best Buy has had it and went through it with a fine tooth comb using their equipment and find no problem with it. What causes the desktop to go into a crash like that? I am near the point of replacing the motherboard and getting something not so sensitive or something more reliable. Can anyone advise? Thanks, Kevin...

More about : system crashes idle

March 11, 2006 8:09:37 PM

Stop errors are generated when a device fails, like memory or a graphics card. I had that sort of error with my faulty X800 GTO whenever i played games on it. Also got it with faulty memory... so my best bet would get your system mem-tested and then get the gfx card checked. Hell, could be other devices going wrong, especially if the error is not obvious, unlike this one.
March 11, 2006 8:33:52 PM

Bluefinger, thanks for the response. Since the graphic board is integrated to the motherboard, seems I can't do anything but save my nickels and wait for a good sale on an acceptable motherboard. The system was checked out by electronic techs at an authorized repair facility and they found the HD had some bad sectors on it and was replaced. Thanks again, later... Kevin
Related resources
March 11, 2006 8:59:59 PM

No problem. I'm here to help with what i know... along with so many others in the forum :D 
March 11, 2006 9:04:09 PM

Quote:
Bluefinger, thanks for the response. Since the graphic board is integrated to the motherboard, seems I can't do anything but save my nickels and wait for a good sale on an acceptable motherboard. The system was checked out by electronic techs at an authorized repair facility and they found the HD had some bad sectors on it and was replaced. Thanks again, later... Kevin

If your motherboard has an AGP or PCI slot then just buy a graphics card. Usually they do, only a really old socketed and obselete motherboard would not, and even then i can't imagine a mobo without a graphics slot. I am 16 however, lol
March 11, 2006 9:09:16 PM

If you have more than one stick of ram in the machine take one out and see if the problem happens again.... if it does stick the other ram stick back in and take the other one out... run it again.

Additionally you can run a mem tester over night. I just built a system and went through this very problem with corsair memory... so it does happen even with good memory.

Although I was getting all different kinds of wierd errors...

kmode_exception_not_handled

NTFS_file_system

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

and

PFN_List_Corrupt

As well as an occasional... can't boot because "blah~blah" file is missing or corrupt.

I run my system pretty hard so the memory had already gone bad enough to where it was exhibiting these problems pretty consistantly under a good sized load.

Since I've changed the ram it's like night and day difference.
March 11, 2006 10:19:05 PM

Hmmmm, you mentioned all the crashes I have experienced with this PC and I did add more ram. The ram was tested, each stick was tested at the service store and was proven to be good. However, your suggestion of taking each stick out until the problem ceases is an easy trouble shooting test and I will try it. Thanks a bunch... Kevin
March 11, 2006 11:04:20 PM

yeah, just realize though that I went through many more things before I eventually checked the memory.

I googled each one of those errors and the kmode_exception_not_handled lead me to believe that I might have gotten a virus known as the NT backdoor hack. But I just built this system and had a copy ghosted to cd.

ghosted back and still saw the same error.

It was the Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area that got me looking into the memory, but this error can be almost anything as described from the google topics.

I would highly recommend running a memory tester over night, you can get download one free and it should be good enough to get you going. If you get any errors even just one the memory is no good. I knew I had a memory problem in about 30min of running the memory checker, then I started switching the sticks to see which one was the culprit. {but I took them both back anyways because they were sold as a pair.}

Anyways, my system ran the mem tester all night last night without a hitch on the new memory and I've been on it all day today and all is well so far. Where as before I could run it sometimes for 15 min to a couple of hours and I didn't even really need to do anything and it would just BSOD on me.

sometimes it would BSOD on bootup. The windows load screen would flash and then BSOD.
March 11, 2006 11:11:40 PM

plus I also should add this memory has been good for almost 30days. I had virtually no problems until a few days ago. A couple of random crashes at first and then alot of BSOD's consistently.
!