Sign in with
Your question

Network Hub in PCI form factor?

Last response: in Components
March 11, 2006 9:00:29 PM

I've been having some friend over lately to get some gaming on, and realized it would simplify a lot of wire management if I could somehow put the network hub in an additional PCI Card space and just route the cables through there.

Only would need abotu 5 Ethernet ports to do the trick, any such thing on the market?

EDIT: Meant to clarify, I mean a Hub or Switch :) 
March 13, 2006 10:14:29 AM

Hi,

I would buy a cheap 4 or 8 port USB hub ...

click me !

8)
March 13, 2006 10:55:54 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I would buy a cheap 4 or 8 port USB hub ...

click me !

8)

Did you mean a network hub?
Related resources
March 13, 2006 10:59:09 AM

Technically they are all "network hubs" :wink:

I would go for a USB hub like this one (if you need more than 4 players connecting)

click me !

They are nice and small and piece of cake to use.
March 13, 2006 11:30:32 AM

I've seen a 4 port hub card many many years ago, but there is only so much room on the slot and you probably wouldn't be able to get 5 or more connectors, even if such a card exists.

I would certainly just buy an 8 port switch and be done with it. In fact, it seems to me that would make wiring easier, because you won't have all the wires running to your computer. You would put the switch in a central location and all people would have easy access to it.
March 13, 2006 3:43:10 PM

When I say 5 Ports I mean 4 for other comps & one out for internet, but I realize now I can just use my onboard ethernet perhaps for that. So a 4 Port card would be fine :) 
March 13, 2006 4:24:55 PM

Quote:

I would go for a USB hub like this one (if you need more than 4 players connecting)

click me !

Umm Why would Anyone (If Possible) Use USB for networking ...... thats soooo lame ive never even thought of useing it or trying it to network computers together for gameing.

and to Answer your question YES such a card exists. It is a 4 port switch to everyone else but to you its just one big eithernet port. so what you do is if your running windows xp Pro plug your internet connection into your main Nic and tell XP to share the internet connection to the Switch nic and it will Hand out IPs to everything on the switch and also host the internet for everyone. dont worry it shouldent hinder your performance at all maybe 1 or 2 frames less . and here is the card Ubar Nic card
March 13, 2006 5:07:33 PM

Quote:
Cool. For $100 less I'd be more inclinded to get this, and then use the extra cash to get a couple kegs of beer, but that's just me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

If you need internet access, get a router instead.

HMMMM i do remember him asking "'Ive been having some friend over lately to get some gaming on, and realized it would simplify a lot of wire management if I could somehow put the network hub in an additional PCI Card space and just route the cables through there.

Only would need abotu 5 Ethernet ports to do the trick, any such thing on the market?

EDIT: Meant to clarify, I mean a Hub or Switch Smile"

he has allready established that he has a Switch. so why post switches on here?
March 13, 2006 5:14:30 PM

I don't see where he mentions what he has currently. One could assume he has something now if he has already been networking, but he doesn't say what he has.

I am simply pointing out the card would cost $100 more than a stand alone switch, and also as I said above, it seems to me it would be more trouble, not less to have all cables running to his computer.
March 13, 2006 5:17:48 PM

Quote:
I don't see where he mentions what he has currently. One could assume he has something now if he has already been networking, but he doesn't say what he has.

nor does it say he wants a switch. in fact if anything he is definatly saying he doesn want a switch cause its 2 less things to carry to a lan party. but it shure says he wants an internal PCI switch
March 13, 2006 5:21:10 PM

There is no reason to be nasty, I am just giving information. I don't see where he says anything at all about his intentions, except the part about a PCI card...and, yes, he does say either a hub or a switch.

If we are simply to give him that information alone then my mistake, I've misunderstood the purpose of the forum.
March 13, 2006 8:18:18 PM

I've actually got a hardcore Netgear route like the noe above, SUPERB component, but was looking to save some room at not too much cost IE no more then $50 or $60.

The one listed a bit abvoe is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but damn $160 lol. Price overrides just about all.
March 13, 2006 8:22:37 PM

Might be lil expensive, but may/could be ideal.

Ever considered wireless? Your friends could put in a wireless card in their PC. Wouldn't need to route wires.

Just a thought.

There should be a swich like 8 ports that would do the job:

Netgear - $75

Newegg had 16 port switch for 59 bucks.. cheaper then 8 port... heh

Hope that helps.
March 13, 2006 8:40:15 PM

Wireless may be the route I end up taking, if I can grab another wireless router.

I don't need another actual "box" router, the netgear one I have right now is more then suitable ;) 
March 13, 2006 8:43:43 PM

The problem with wireless might be that if you plan to play on the internet with more than one person it could start to lag. It may be OK for LAN gaming though. On paper the bandwidth is enough, but in practice wireless networks don't play well with more and more people...any more than 1 person and you start to have problems.
March 13, 2006 9:13:19 PM

I can see that happing...

but what games are to be played on his LAN?

I would imaging even a 10=11mbp bandwith should be able to handle 5 people?

Curious.. Or does that bandwith start to divide when more DHCP IP's are handed out by the router?

I've done some monitoring on a server for games like EF and Q4. Bascially those FPS games wouldn't use no more the 70-100kps from the throughputs I was watching. Unless the polling were bad enough to keep a good refresh on it.

Athough, not sure about other games, in how much bandwith will be needed for smooth game play.

Interesting :D 
March 13, 2006 9:18:10 PM

You are right, in theory even 1mb bandwidth is OK for 4 people in terms of gaming. I am only passing on information I have read from several people who game a lot, and that is that after you have one person sharing the wireless network, gaming goes to hell, but that was with internet gaming. I don't know about LAN gaming and would be interested to hear the results.

The bottom line however, if you ask me, is that he has a switch already, and to experiment to try to reduce wires is fine, if one is willing to spend the money with little results. I can't imagine why having a switch box instead of a switch card would be more hassle, but I don't know what his configuration looks like.
March 13, 2006 9:25:09 PM

Quote:

click me !

Umm Why would Anyone (If Possible) Use USB for networking ...... thats soooo lame ive never even thought of useing it or trying it to network computers together for gameing.

and to Answer your question YES such a card exists. It is a 4 port switch to everyone else but to you its just one big eithernet port. so what you do is if your running windows xp Pro plug your internet connection into your main Nic and tell XP to share the internet connection to the Switch nic and it will Hand out IPs to everything on the switch and also host the internet for everyone. dont worry it shouldent hinder your performance at all maybe 1 or 2 frames less . and here is the card Ubar Nic card

hah that thing is bad ass.. i didnt even think they would make something like that.. although it is cost prohivitive...
March 13, 2006 9:30:35 PM

Yeah, basically the wireless guy is more prone to lost packets, lost game info, etc, which contributes to lag overall. Its not terrible, but it can get really annoying if their wireless connection is crappy - you'll have stutters and such.

Dang, that 4-port PCI card is nice, but super expensive!
Is carrying an extra router around worth $160?
March 13, 2006 9:32:39 PM

^

Yah, I think I'll stick with it for $160 :p 

Just looking to have one less item jutting out on the table top.
March 13, 2006 9:37:16 PM

I suppose you could improve the situation somewhat by disabling the WEP/WPA security, or whatever, but I would only do that during the gaming event and be sure to turn it back on afterwards. And, I'm not sure how much, if any, it would improve the situation, because of course I've never tested it.

In terms of 'carrying around an extra device' I have to assume, perhaps incorrectly, that this is only for his home. Most lanpartys, or good lanpartys, would supply that type of equipment at the table, and the client would just need to bring his cables.
March 13, 2006 9:39:04 PM

Can I charge you a consultation fee and say "put the router under the table"?
I'll just charge $50... :p  :p 
March 13, 2006 9:43:15 PM

Disabling the encryption wouldn't help greatly I don't think. The majority of the time they get stutters is from the loss of packets in general. Can't really do anything besides resend the packets (hence the lag).

Also, Darkfire, note that if the clients use the internet connection through your on-board NIC, then performance may be an issue for that, because your computer will have to service that... 4 clients asking for internet data wouldn't be good for your gaming experience, IMO. You're basically using your computer as a router at that point... a really really really expensive router. :D 
March 13, 2006 9:57:00 PM

Assuming the game is using UDP instead of tcp/ip then there wouldn't be any packets resent...they would just be gone. So yeah, wireless = bad for gaming.
March 13, 2006 10:39:18 PM

Yeah, that's true. UDP just sends them away.
I find that my friend has the most issues w/ wireless gaming when someone else hops on the router. so mebbe if you kick everyone off and lock the number of issued ip's, you can monopolize it :p 

I can typically play WC3 w/ my friend and have minimal lag issues, but thats a RTS, not an FPS.
March 13, 2006 10:44:44 PM

That's what I hear, and after you get more than one person on the wireless it's goes down fast. The fact that most surfing doesn't really use that much bandwidth [and most other people on a wireless would just be surfing] suggests to me that more than one person gaming on the wireless wouldn't work well.

However, TCP/IP gets priority, and UDP takes the back seat. So, if people are surfing then they will get first priority. Perhaps multiple people gaming wouldn't be as bad as one person gaming and one person surfing?
March 14, 2006 7:38:24 AM

Quote:
="Cyph0rUmm Why would Anyone (If Possible) Use USB for networking ...... thats soooo lame ive never even thought of useing it or trying it to network computers together for gameing.

What are you basing this statement on ?
USB hubs are compact and more than capable of supporting the traffic for gaming. If you want something cheap and portable then a USB hub will do just fine.
March 14, 2006 8:53:47 AM

Quote:
I've been having some friend over lately to get some gaming on, and realized it would simplify a lot of wire management if I could somehow put the network hub in an additional PCI Card space and just route the cables through there.

EDIT: Meant to clarify, I mean a Hub or Switch :) 

Something like a NIC with 4 x 10/100 Mbps ports

Such as something like this ?
http://www.dlink.com.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=300

* 4 10/100Mbps ports with independent MACs
* 32-bit PCI bus master operation
* Per-port load-balance/fault-tolerance configuration

Don't recommend sharing Internet at LANs though, unless you are using a ADSL Router with inbuilt Gateway (then everyone just sets the Gateway IP to it and they get net access without bogging a PC down with 'interupts', also doesn't require PPPoE / PPPoA authentication, etc per PC your ISP only sees one connection).
March 14, 2006 9:43:54 AM

That one looks to be discontinued, but you could probably find it on ebay. I saw it listed somewhere for $250 but you could probably find it cheaper.
March 14, 2006 4:22:36 PM

Yep, exactly like that and the one listed earlier.

Time to go ebay'ing :p 
March 14, 2006 4:55:10 PM

Quote:
="Cyph0rUmm Why would Anyone (If Possible) Use USB for networking ...... thats soooo lame ive never even thought of useing it or trying it to network computers together for gameing.

What are you basing this statement on ?
USB hubs are compact and more than capable of supporting the traffic for gaming. If you want something cheap and portable then a USB hub will do just fine.
Have you tried this? I'm not sure it'll work. Besides, then one computer (host) will be tied up rerouting all kinds of data to each computer plugged into the hub. I've heard of networking using usb/firewire, but I thought the overhead was way too pricey for any decent throughput. You'd need special drivers at the least.
March 15, 2006 7:02:19 AM

I had a LAN at home with 20 people connected via USB hubs ... no problem. My router dished out I.P addresses via DHCP and the hubs simply broadcats traffic to all ports. No routing is involved.

click me !
March 15, 2006 4:58:33 PM

Yeah, but this solution may not be very optimal for gaming. As that link states, total bandwidth decreases as you add more people. Plus you must broadcast, as you mentioned. Plus the hubs will run in 1/2 duplex, which further increases the lag issue.

I mean, this is the whole reason why network hubs went out of business and were replaced with switches.

It should work fine for internet surfing, etc, but not sure how good it'll be for gaming. It would be akin to having all 20 of your people on the network trying to download files at the same time. Lots of collisions and lots of packet delays, I would think... But I don't have that, you do! So if you experience otherwise, I'd be interested in hearing it.

By the way, nice avatar. :p 
March 16, 2006 7:05:33 AM

I agree that switches are a much better solution, just depends on your budget and number of players :wink:

Long live the evil chicken !

:p 
March 16, 2006 5:05:56 PM

*gasp* Its you!!!
Anonymous
August 30, 2008 8:30:48 AM

yes
===========
sudhakar
hub
!