Wheels335

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
I bought a maxtor drive. Not sure what I'm doing wrong [I can't take drive back, private sale] I hooked it up as a master. I unhooked everything but cd rom and maxtor. Booted off cd, it doesn't find maxtor! Besides that my bios has to boot up as maxtor instead of wd that's in there. So, here's where I'm at, I put back wd hardrive [maxtor was for backup] I hooked up all other drives A, DVD, CD, ZIP and start up. It will boot, I'm on it now, however in bios and my computer it thinks its a maxtor not the installed wd. Are these maxtors that bad that I can't even hookup? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.....

Dazed and confused and now you are too.

Maxtor drive 120 gig
Model 6L 120P0

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
maybe its a dead drive or ur psu cant spin up both? plug in only the maxtor and feel it when u turn on ur comp to see if it spins, if not ur SOL... if it does uhh... install the maxtor drivers or uninstall the wd ones? i duno man lol

Wheels335

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
But right now in bios, my wd isn't there. The maxtor is there. Should I hook up maxtor as slave and wd as master and format maxtor in windows xp? All I am trying to do is clone my wd so maxtor as mirror backup. So I can just plug it in if needed.

Thank u.......

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Resetting CMOS would involve pulling your 3v CMOS battery (the round thing about the size of a quarter) off of the motherboard. Leave it off for a few seconds then pop it back in, and power up the unit.

Now if that still doesnt work, you might have to go into the Disk Management ulitity (in windows not in the BIOS).
To access this, right click on your my computer icon (either on your desktop, or in the start menu) and select the manage option, and on the lefthand siode towards the bottem click Disk Management.
When you have both drives hooked up, if the drive is plugged in and not hosed, you should see two drives (plus your DVD/CD rom's) your main boot drive will be C or DISK 0 and will have a blue band above it. This means the drive is partitioned and active. Now if the other drive isnt partitioned it will have a black band on top of it.
Right click the new disk or D or DISK 1 and click format (Disk 1 BEWARE DO NOT FORMAT DISK 0, I dont believe you can if it already is though, its worth a mention either way)...
This will format the drive (you will lose any info on there!)
Set the drive to NTFS (new tech. file structure) and then right click again and click "Mark partition as active" your done.
:)

Wheels335

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Hooked up the maxtor as slave to wd hard drive. Computer won't boot ? In bios after removing battery it still shows maxtor as primary drive. It's not, the wd is in........wierd. There is a ghost in the machine.

Wheels335

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
lol---I didn't remove any jumpers when I removed batt. Also I slaved off the same ribbon, wrong ? Thanks for all your help !