Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4, Pentium D or Wait for Conroe?

Last response: in CPUs
March 11, 2006 9:16:34 PM

OK,

so I've been reading and reading and reading, and at one point I was ready to build a new system (AMD) but then I thought about it and decided to stick with my Intel

Now, Looking into the current, and comming Intel processors I wonder...

should I build a nice P4 system now (3.6 Ghz, etc), should I go for a pentium D (930 Dual core or even one of those Dual core with HT) or should I just wait for the conroe...even though they wont clock higher then 2.66??

**This is an intel only thread, so please dont suggest I go with AMD because I wont :D  **
March 11, 2006 9:20:42 PM

I believe the Intel 930/920 is a good price performer. If you can live with what you have now for another 4 months, Conroe is looking like it will be a reasonably priced cpu and better than anything out now. That is what I would try to do.
March 11, 2006 9:40:22 PM

If you have a system to get you by for now, I would wait for Conroe myself. If not, the Pentium D 930 is quite a performer especially when overclocked. Dual core is the way to go.
Related resources
March 11, 2006 9:46:15 PM

It always depends on how you plan to use it. Pick the right tool for the job.

It really doesn't matter which processor they both do the same thing, but some processors do somethings better than others, faster / cooler and using less power while others maybe faster doing a few things, but run hotter, consume more energy and cost more than their supposed counterparts.

Some processors not only cost more initially, but also cost more everytime you turn them on plus they may require costlier mainboards But if you are doing specific tasks in which they are the better performer then it becomes a tougher decision.

Also if you are doing High bandwidth tasks such as video editing {especially with hardware accelerated video editing cards} then Intel is likely your best choice irregardless of the power / cost factors.

So the choice should be made based on how you plan to use it. You're buying it to perform right?
March 11, 2006 9:54:52 PM

Quote:
should I just wait for the conroe...even though they wont clock higher then 2.66??

They will clock higher that 2.66.

And Ghz isnt the only consideration either. More GHZ does not necessaraly mean better real world performance.
March 11, 2006 9:58:12 PM

usually it does with the same model of processor tho....
March 11, 2006 10:03:31 PM

Yes of course.

The 2.66GHZ one is the mid range conroe offering. If it can really outperform the FX-60 with the margins we've been presented by then, wow.

I would wait for Conroe, see if it does live up to its hype.
March 11, 2006 10:06:50 PM

I am intrigued myself for its release... But since I just got a monster rig for this xmas, and am fixing to upgrade mobo and psu already to overclock a bit more, it will probable be mid 2007 before I can induldge again... :( 
March 12, 2006 3:50:59 PM

Quote:
should I just wait for the conroe...even though they wont clock higher then 2.66??

And Ghz isnt the only consideration either. More GHZ does not necessaraly mean better real world performance.

Absolutely tru64!

$Israeli_Team = SMART+VERY_SMART;

$Netburst_Team =!SMART;

$AMD64_Team=SUPER_SMART;

$more_GHz !=better_performance;

more_GHz do NOT equal better performance

AMD64s in 32bit perform better than Intel P4 CPUs in 32bit mode despite a 1.2GHz clock deficit.

AMD64s in 64bit perform 25-70% better than Intel P4 CPUs in 64bit mode despite a 1.2GHz clock deficit.

Pentium M CPUs and Conroe CPUs in 32bit mode also perform better than Intel P4 CPUs in 32bit mode despite a 1.2GHz clock deficit.

The Pentium M series is based on the PIII / P6 architecture remember Tulatin???? and is designed by the smart Intel people in Israel :-D

The Pentium 4 series is designed by the the !smart Intel people ( netburst team ) and they are not in Israel.

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/24/17...

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163

http://www.intel.com/performance/desktop/extreme/em64t....
March 12, 2006 5:30:14 PM

How is the AMD64 Team smarter than the Israeli Team?
March 12, 2006 5:34:22 PM

Awwe Man... don't tell me they have "Holiday Inns". :lol: 
March 12, 2006 5:39:36 PM

Intel team=large
AMD team!=large
in fact
AMD team=tiny when we do strcmp(AMD,Intel)(in other word we compare them)
March 12, 2006 5:44:31 PM

Quote:
Intel team=large
AMD team!=large
in fact

Um, 8O
March 12, 2006 7:00:50 PM

Quote:

They stayed at a holiday inn last night.
March 12, 2006 7:01:56 PM

Quote:
Intel team=large
AMD team!=large
in fact

May I please have copies of the internal AMD and Intel documents in your possession?

Thank you
March 12, 2006 7:02:20 PM

Quote:

:roll: . o O (I should have kept my keyboard shut)
March 12, 2006 7:23:37 PM

Quote:

:roll: . o O (I should have kept my keyboard shut)

Thank you for providing the inspiration for that comment :-D
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2006 8:43:11 PM

Quote:
OK,

so I've been reading and reading and reading, and at one point I was ready to build a new system (AMD) but then I thought about it and decided to stick with my Intel

should I build a nice P4 system now (3.6 Ghz, etc), should I go for a pentium D (930 Dual core or even one of those Dual core with HT) or should I just wait for the conroe...even though they wont clock higher then 2.66??

**This is an intel only thread, so please dont suggest I go with AMD because I wont :D  **

Smarter Idea - wait for conroe AND AM2 - then you would have the option of a fast conroe, a (unknown) AM2 system or a cheaper s939 system or a conroe ready P4 system - the options will be much better.
March 13, 2006 1:11:10 PM

Quote:

Absolutely tru64!

$Israeli_Team = SMART+VERY_SMART;

$Netburst_Team =!SMART;

$AMD64_Team=SUPER_SMART;

$more_GHz !=better_performance;

more_GHz do NOT equal better performance

AMD64s in 32bit perform better than Intel P4 CPUs in 32bit mode despite a 1.2GHz clock deficit.

AMD64s in 64bit perform 25-70% better than Intel P4 CPUs in 64bit mode despite a 1.2GHz clock deficit.

Pentium M CPUs and Conroe CPUs in 32bit mode also perform better than Intel P4 CPUs in 32bit mode despite a 1.2GHz clock deficit.

The Pentium M series is based on the PIII / P6 architecture remember Tulatin???? and is designed by the smart Intel people in Israel :-D

The Pentium 4 series is designed by the the !smart Intel people ( netburst team ) and they are not in Israel.

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/24/17...

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163

http://www.intel.com/performance/desktop/extreme/em64t....
Which part of "same model processor" you didn't understand?
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2006 1:24:40 PM

Quote:
OK,

First of all there's no such thing as an Intel only thread. Second of all I'm not a fanboy so you should maybe listen to me ;) 

I can assure you, that if you're currently in the market for a PC that AMD is has the better product. BUT if you truly wish to stick with Intel... DO NOT WASTE your money on a PentiumD or Pentium4. Intel seems to have gotten everythig worked out to finally offer a competitor to the AMD K8. Conroe would be your best bet.

I run multiple systems.. what can I say I'm a rich bastard. For any useage currently, AMD's K8 will offer better performance, similar reliability (with an equivalent warranty) as well as a lower power useage and far smaller heat output.

I don't know what or who made you think AMD was a bad choice. Because in all honesty they're currently the best choice. Do NOT waste your money on an inferior product. Either go with an AMD Athlon64 or X2 processor or wait for Conroe if you're wanting to stick with Intel.

;) 
March 13, 2006 1:32:35 PM

I Also Agree, If your going to Stick with a Intel You should Wait for a Conroe, I would Suggest a AMD64 x2 but yea If you Prefer not to have a Heater go For a Conroe, otherwise. Don't go For PentiumD or Pentium EE, I repeat Don't Buy Unless its a Conroe Because Your basically buying a Intel. Buy a Conroe Its more Like AMD.
March 13, 2006 1:45:54 PM

Quote:
OK,

First of all there's no such thing as an Intel only thread. Second of all I'm not a fanboy so you should maybe listen to me ;) 

I can assure you, that if you're currently in the market for a PC that AMD is has the better product. BUT if you truly wish to stick with Intel... DO NOT WASTE your money on a PentiumD or Pentium4. Intel seems to have gotten everythig worked out to finally offer a competitor to the AMD K8. Conroe would be your best bet.

I run multiple systems.. what can I say I'm a rich bastard. For any useage currently, AMD's K8 will offer better performance, similar reliability (with an equivalent warranty) as well as a lower power useage and far smaller heat output.

I don't know what or who made you think AMD was a bad choice. Because in all honesty they're currently the best choice. Do NOT waste your money on an inferior product. Either go with an AMD Athlon64 or X2 processor or wait for Conroe if you're wanting to stick with Intel.

;) 

Quote:

I Also Agree, If your going to Stick with a Intel You should Wait for a Conroe, I would Suggest a AMD64 x2 but yea If you Prefer not to have a Heater go For a Conroe, otherwise. Don't go For PentiumD or Pentium EE, I repeat Don't Buy Unless its a Conroe Because Your basically buying a Intel. Buy a Conroe Its more Like AMD.

Finally some good suggestions :-D

I agree with both of you.

AMD makes a great product, however if the OP absolutely insists on going Intel then the OP should get a Conroe as it should be much better than any P4 series CPU PERIOD including the extreme edition.
March 14, 2006 7:56:22 PM

Look man, don't listen to the others here. We all know AMD a good processor but so is Intel. If you wanna buy now, most certainly make sure you buy a dual core Pentium D and no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Intel. The Pentium Ds are good processors and with Intel getting ready to drop the prices on them, makes em even more sweet. :wink:

It's nice to see that at least your honest and will stick with Intel and I, unlike the others, at least respect that and won't sway you otherwise. Good luck
!