Why my computer goes into log in mode when idle

blueeyesmale

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
if i leave my computer on-it goes into my login screen-and i can't figure why and how to fix it,because i have stuff downloading but i will never finish if it always goes into my log-in screen.Can you please help me out i tried everything i know how,but no luck thxs.

pknut

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Go to start and in search type "screen saver". When the screen saver settings window pops up, make sure your settings are correct (turn off screen saver and in advanced options make sure it does not sleep). Next, Click on "Change Power Settings" then "require a password on wakeup" then "change settings that are currently unavailable" select "Don't require a password".

Does it turn on the screen-saver or does it actually log you off or reboot the PC? pknut's fix will work if this is a screen-saver that is starting, but from how you described it, almost sounds like the computer is logging off your account.

If it's just the screen-saver, anything running on the PC will continue to run when the screen-saver kicks in.

blueeyesmale

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

no i have the screensaver off and it still does it so i don't know why it still does that go to log-in screen-have any other idea-i would love to know.thxs!

blueeyesmale

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

Question:no it just goes to my log-in screen without rebooting.

VikingsValhalla

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Blueeyesmale, check your screensaver again. In Windows 7 below the drop menu for the screensaver is a wait timer. To the right of the timer is a check box that states "On resume, display login screen". If this box is checked it is what will bring you to your login screen and force you to put your password in. I have this setting checked on my computer, and it does what you have explained earlier. It does not log you out, just brings up login screen.