Sign in with
Your question

Adding to a RAID 0 Stripe

Last response: in Storage
March 12, 2006 12:57:35 AM

I currently have two 150 mb WD Raptors set with a RAID 0 config. I attempted to add a third WD 74 mb HD and just have as a separte drive for back up and such. Windows does not recognize the drive. When I run WD Data DOS software, I see the drive but get the 0138 error.

SATA and Raid options are enabled on my Auss A8N32 SLI Delux MB.

Is there something I am missing?

More about : adding raid stripe

March 12, 2006 1:39:44 AM

Need more info like what controller u are using the motherboard has two . I don't believe you can use two different size drives on the same controller on the motherboard I believe they all have to be the same size . I do know some of the new add on cards allow for different size drives . If you just want it as a back-up i would try it on the silicon image as the other two are on the nvraid . The plug on the back of the motherboard is not a sata plug but an Esata plug which is different . Download the manual from asus and it will give you more info than the one that came with your board.
March 12, 2006 4:45:28 AM

Quote:
I currently have two 150 mb WD Raptors set with a RAID 0 config. I attempted to add a third WD 74 mb HD and just have as a separte drive for back up and such. Windows does not recognize the drive. When I run WD Data DOS software, I see the drive but get the 0138 error.

SATA and Raid options are enabled on my Auss A8N32 SLI Delux MB.

Is there something I am missing?

Usually, it is as simple as installing the 74 gigs on a spare SATA connector, and make sure that RAID is disabled for that connector, if you're using the nvidia controller. With nvidia controller, RAID can be set individually for each connectors.

With onboard controller, then it might be a bit more complicated.
Related resources
March 12, 2006 6:00:10 AM

this is a noob question on the same subject. i also have two 150 gb raptors in raid 0 on an asus a8n 32 deluxe MB on a system just built (my first--hence the noobie desig.). after the raid 0 is set up (on the MB Nvdia controller in my case)--is there a way to verify that the HDs are actually working in Raid 0 instead of individually. i have checked the bios and all is in order there and the boot up bios flash says "healthy striped array"--but, would feel better with more evidence.

by the way--how do u like your rapters in raid 0?
March 12, 2006 8:35:22 AM

Quote:
this is a noob question on the same subject. i also have two 150 gb raptors in raid 0 on an asus a8n 32 deluxe MB on a system just built (my first--hence the noobie desig.). after the raid 0 is set up (on the MB Nvdia controller in my case)--is there a way to verify that the HDs are actually working in Raid 0 instead of individually. i have checked the bios and all is in order there and the boot up bios flash says "healthy striped array"--but, would feel better with more evidence.

by the way--how do u like your rapters in raid 0?

I dont have any raptor, but a way to verify is that the array will show up as one big HDD of 300 gb instead of 2 150 gb

At the install, if you have 2 hdd listed, then you've messed up with the RAID drivers. If you have only one listed, then you're ok
March 12, 2006 8:22:24 PM

txs--there are 2 HDs listed on boot up.
March 13, 2006 10:30:08 AM

I like the RAID 0 Stripe for great file uploads but somewhat leary of "failed drive" possibilties. Thus, the third drive desire.

I am using the on board controller so will check with ASUS.

Thanks.
March 13, 2006 11:27:31 AM

Quote:
txs--there are 2 HDs listed on boot up.

There will be. In the raid config/detect screen that first pops up on boot it will likely show you that you have a strip set of 1+1 drives.

What the guy above said was go to into disk manager and see if you only have one disk listed. If it shows one large disk then the raid is working. If you have 2 disks listed, then something is wrong.
March 13, 2006 3:05:46 PM

Slowkill I think what you are looking for is raid 5 do a search on google and read up on raid 5 . I am going to change from 4 drives in raid 0 to three drives on stripe and one as a parity ( raid 5) . I still don't know if you can use drives of different size on the nvidia raid .
March 13, 2006 3:11:42 PM

Raid 5 might be a better choice, but it will require reloading the OS, and also it will require a new controller. I don't think that onboard controller will do RAID5, but even if it does, it will still require a fresh install.
March 13, 2006 3:44:44 PM

Onboard controller does raid 5 . As for the fresh install I think your correct but it will be worth it.
March 13, 2006 3:48:42 PM

Providing the controller does it without loading a different driver, then it is possible that one could pull a ghost image of the current install, switch to RAID5, reload the ghost image and be back to where it is today. I, however, would do a clean install.

Generally speaking [not know how that controller will work] is that you can use different size drives in any raid array, it will just default to the lowest common denominator. Or, you could use JBOD configuration and it will just add all the drives together as one big drive, but of course there will be no redundancy or performance increase in that config.
!