Canon BJC-610 problem

I've had this printer for a few years, it has worked great, however a
year ago or so the printer went to my girlfriend and she never used it.
When I went to hook it up I discovered that the ink that WAS in the
cartridges had dried up. So, they needed to be replaced, I did that. put
in the new cartridges and when I start it up. It gives me the error that
there is no black ink. No problem, I ran the cleaner function it to
clean out black. No change, did it a 2nd time, still no change. Every
other color prints but NOT the black!

Anyone got any solutions on how to find out what is going on? I read
somewhere that you can manually clean the print head but how does one do
that?

Any help apperciated, thanks!

netrage wrote:
> I've had this printer for a few years, it has worked great, however a

> year ago or so the printer went to my girlfriend and she never used
it.
> When I went to hook it up I discovered that the ink that WAS in the
> cartridges had dried up. So, they needed to be replaced, I did that.
put
> in the new cartridges and when I start it up. It gives me the error
that
> there is no black ink. No problem, I ran the cleaner function it to
> clean out black. No change, did it a 2nd time, still no change. Every

> other color prints but NOT the black!
>
> Anyone got any solutions on how to find out what is going on? I read
> somewhere that you can manually clean the print head but how does one
do
> that?
>
> Any help apperciated, thanks!

Step 1: Take out print head and clean with rubbing alcohol and q-tips.
Mainly concentrate on the black. You need to clean inside where the
contacts are for the cartridge and underneath where the nozzles are.
Step 2: Run through 3 print head cleanings.
Step 3: Try printing something. If the problems still persist you
will need to replace print head. At this point due to the age of the
printer it is not worth your while.

chaosfury wrote:
> Step 1: Take out print head and clean with rubbing alcohol and q-tips.
> Mainly concentrate on the black. You need to clean inside where the
> contacts are for the cartridge and underneath where the nozzles are.

Is there any where online that would have directions on how to take it
out as I poked around in it but couldn't find that however I did notice
that behind where the black ink cartrideg goes there is black ink all
over in there... so I don't know if that's any indication of the problem ...

> Step 2: Run through 3 print head cleanings.
> Step 3: Try printing something. If the problems still persist you
> will need to replace print head. At this point due to the age of the
> printer it is not worth your while.

Yeah... I have been looking into replacing the printer as I have a
feeling the printhead might be hosed and everything I've been reading
sasy that basically the printer would make a good paperweight.

But directions on how to remove the printhead so I can try to clean it
and see what happens. Guess its worth a shot before writing it off completly