Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How low will they go??

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 12, 2006 4:38:32 AM

More about : low

March 12, 2006 4:43:58 AM

wow i didn't know they were so damn cheap
March 12, 2006 5:07:03 AM

Say could you recommend a microATX integrated video MB for this puppy?
For an entertainment system. :) 
Related resources
March 12, 2006 7:33:13 AM

Negative.

Absolutely not!

It's running @ 2.66GHz and has a 533MHz bus that's equivalent to an AMD dual core @ 1.46 GHz with DDR1 PC2100 and without an onboard memory controller.

It must have failed a TON of tests to be binned as an 805 you can't get lower than that.

It is cheap but that is all it is.
March 12, 2006 7:42:44 AM

He didnt ask you about processor choice, read the post properly next time.

@ woodchuk:
For an entertainment system it wouldnt be bad if you had at least a small video card in it.
March 12, 2006 8:06:55 AM

Be serious, that's 2 P4b chips sharing a fsb. That's the new definition of bandwidth starved.
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2006 10:05:45 AM

Quote:
Be serious, that's 2 P4b chips sharing a fsb. That's the new definition of bandwidth starved.


not to mention clock for clock worse cause of prescott vs northwood

another thread in THG someone overclocked it pretty well - cant remember the details but it was better then any prescott dual core offering.
March 12, 2006 11:00:37 AM

Not quite,it's 20-30% slower than a 3800 but it costs a lot less(less than half of the X2 3800 price). And you still get a significant boost in multitasking or in multi threaded applications.
It's by far the best bargain you'll ever get for that kind of money.
March 12, 2006 3:40:54 PM

Quote:
Be serious, that's 2 P4b chips sharing a fsb. That's the new definition of bandwidth starved.


Indeed!

It is crippled and bandwith starved... c'mon it has a 533 bus sheeesh

Not as good a bargain as you might think.

And it failed the 800MHz FSB test and probably 10 levels of core clock tests from 3.6GHz all the way down to 2.66GHz.

This is the lowest binned CPU in the whole family.
March 12, 2006 5:10:04 PM

OK You've talked me out of it. Prob wouldn't be happy with something that is slower than I already have :)  even if it is dual core(almost). Guess it would make some people very happy tho. Esp if they were considering something like this! Such a deal :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
March 12, 2006 6:29:37 PM

Quote:
OK You've talked me out of it. Prob wouldn't be happy with something that is slower than I already have :)  even if it is dual core(almost). Guess it would make some people very happy tho. Esp if they were considering something like this! Such a deal :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 



You'll be better off with an IBM PPC, AMD64, MIPS, Motorola, HP PA-RISC, Sparc or something like that :D 

Oh by the way IBM and Sun both make AMD64 servers as well as Sparcs and PPCs, etc :-D

HP does too even though they were Intel's partner on the IA-64 / Itanium project.

That is quite an endorsement :D 

AMD64 Chips are SOOOOOO terrible, IBM, SUN, HP and many others use them in their top of the line servers, that's funny isn't it?

PC Chips / ECS = terrible by the way.
March 12, 2006 6:34:57 PM

I betcha most or all other companies use AMD and Intel. Whatever is cheaper/faster on the market during the time frame. :wink:
March 12, 2006 6:38:27 PM

Please,
The 805 WILL OC very well with the right motherboard and what you considered "crippled" may just be that it requires a higher Vcore to attain an 800FSB or higher. Still waiting for an official benchtest/review but it will certainly be a better buy and performer than ANY of the smithfield cores(stock spd) if it can hit an 800FSB @ 4Ghz. Watercool it and it's highly likely you can go even further. Yes, this is speculation but in the OC CPU thread's Denster has already gotten his 805 up to 3.73Ghz air cooled! If a 905 is released with the 65nm process and 2x2Mb L2 cache, look out. It'll OC even better. If it OC's higher than an 800FSB, it may give most other dual cores a serious run for the $$ regardless of manufacturer and WILL be an Incredible Value. Time will tell.
March 12, 2006 6:40:57 PM

u'd be better off with a single core AMD 300+
March 12, 2006 6:49:00 PM

Where the 805 will shine will be if it can get close to or pass an 800FSB when OC'ed. A uATX mobo with onboard graphics will most likely NOT be for OC'ing. I'd first look for a uATX board without video, if it exists. You'll most likely have to go with an ATX board to utilize the 805's potential when OC'ed.
March 12, 2006 7:01:19 PM

What??!
What the hell are you smoking?? What are you going to buy for that price? It's DUAL core that will OC to at least 3.7Ghz, 740FSB air cooled and most likely higher with the right cooling solution. Even at 740FSB on air is not much of a loss compared to the 820 @ 800FSB and the higher frequency, 3.7Ghz, most likely will offset that difference. No A64 3000 can compare.
March 12, 2006 7:11:56 PM

Thanks, good ideas. My idea was to get the MicroATX since I'm waiting for a more sophisticated graphics card to add later, one that was optimized for 1366x768 for instance, without interpolation. HDMI outputs as well as DVI would be appreciated. This one will not be O/C'd since I want to keep it real cool and quiet, so I think it needs a faster processor from the start for future loads to be added.

Speaking of alternative CPU's I had one of these once. It had what you'd call a one track mind with an IQ of 75.Don't accept one even for free :wink:
March 12, 2006 7:54:39 PM

Quote:
Please,
The 805 WILL OC very well with the right motherboard and what you considered "crippled" may just be that it requires a higher Vcore to attain an 800FSB or higher. Still waiting for an official benchtest/review but it will certainly be a better buy and performer than ANY of the smithfield cores(stock spd) if it can hit an 800FSB @ 4Ghz. Watercool it and it's highly likely you can go even further. Yes, this is speculation but in the OC CPU thread's Denster has already gotten his 805 up to 3.73Ghz air cooled! If a 905 is released with the 65nm process and 2x2Mb L2 cache, look out. It'll OC even better. If it OC's higher than an 800FSB, it may give most other dual cores a serious run for the $$ regardless of manufacturer and WILL be an Incredible Value. Time will tell.



Good luck finding a board the 805 is typically going to paired with that can OC.

Chances are it will be coupled with a low end 533MHz FSB only Chipset with 0 OC potential onboard EVERYTHING, a $5 PSU and $10 case without any active cooling except maybe the PSU fan.
March 12, 2006 8:23:01 PM

Really?????!!!!!! Try this on for size and be sure to see ALL the Pent. D's :lol: 

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

That's just one board and if I look @ my own Abit AW8's CPU support list, I bet I'll find it there too.

FYI, Most high end board's from a quality manufacturer using an nForce4, Intel 945, 955, & 975 chipset WILL support the 805 with nothing more than a bios update IF that. Chances are they'll support the 905 when it arrives as well.

I'd try the 805 on my own rig(see sig) but it's too much of a hassle to tear apart my H2O setup just for testing. The 905 may be a different story.
March 12, 2006 9:17:55 PM

Quote:
Really?????!!!!!! Try this on for size and be sure to see ALL the Pent. D's :lol: 

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

That's just one board and if I look @ my own Abit AW8's CPU support list, I bet I'll find it there too.

FYI, Most high end board's from a quality manufacturer using an nForce4, Intel 945, 955, & 975 chipset WILL support the 805 with nothing more than a bios update IF that. Chances are they'll support the 905 when it arrives as well.

I'd try the 805 on my own rig(see sig) but it's too much of a hassle to tear apart my H2O setup just for testing. The 905 may be a different story.




BREAKING NEWS: Intel decides to pair 805 CPU with i440FX chipset. Customers will be required to switch to 72pin 80ns SIMMs.

http://www.intel.com/performance/desktop/extreme/em64t....
March 12, 2006 9:41:58 PM

No Fair!! Your doin' drugs and not sharin'! :o  :lol: 
March 13, 2006 3:01:30 AM

Hey All :)  I hope this may clarify some doubts as to the capability of the Pent D 805 Processor :) 



In response to Apache Lives who wrote:

Quote:
another thread in THG someone overclocked it pretty well - cant remember the details but it was better then any prescott dual core offering.


That would possibly be me... I have just recently built a new system with an EVGA NF51 MB, and I bought a PENTIUM D 805 just for the sake of comparing it to my AMD X2 4400.... Now I realize that you can't compare apples to oranges but I just wanted to try the Intel dual core out.

What I am about to tell you may surprise all of you some, and then again perhaps you will laugh, but it is the truth. :) 

Custom PCZ wrote:
Quote:
Where the 805 will shine will be if it can get close to or pass an 800FSB when OC'ed. A uATX mobo with onboard graphics will most likely NOT be for OC'ing. I'd first look for a uATX board without video, if it exists. You'll most likely have to go with an ATX board to utilize the 805's potential when OC'ed.


PRECISELY what I have done. And this is for woodchuck too if you are still out there... I had the same plan in mind to build a Media center PC. Go with an ATX board, because you will have more room and options. Just have to find a nice desktop case that will house it. The Coolermaster Cavalier 4 (CAV-T04) worked for me... $100. It is awesome and plenty of room. Nice blue case lights :)  The Pentium D 805 is enough processor for what most of us are doing, games, movies, surfing the web... It's not like we are protecting the USA with radar systems or keeping track of everybody's bank accounts... In a big way, I would say, I would have just been happy with the 805 if I had known what I know now about the AMD X2 4400, (which is my other chip). The X2 is NOT as overclockable, though it has a bigger cache, it responds a little quicker, but the Pent 805 gives it a very close run for the money!!! And it costs about $300 less :) 

I have gradually OC'd the 805 to great degree and I am sure it will withstand much more than I have given it, however, I am using only a Stock HSF currently and looking into a watercooler.

Right now I am at 3.73Ghz and steady. With the temps all under 50c... however when I ran prime 95 torture test, my temps ran above 65c and that was a little too much for me :o 

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=78589

So I have decided to keep things down until I get a better cooling device.

The EVGA board for the Pentium D is an awesome board with every possible BIOS configuration available, VCore, CPU Voltage shift, VDIMM, LDT, you name it this BIOS has it! And I strongly recommend it to anyone looking to buy a Pent 5 processor... Just as EVGA has a reputation for having an extremely overclockable graphics card, so goes their MB's.

The Pent D 805 is an amazing chip that I would also recommend to anyone who wants to get a lot of bang for a low price!!!

I have put it through some rough testing, running 3 or 4 or 5 programs at once and it has proved to be a fine instrument.

I have played multiple games on it with only a 6200TC graphics card and it has not been choppy once.

Together they (EVGA NF51 and The Pent D 805) make an awesome fairly inexpensive team... And I will be looking to see about OC'ing it to 4Ghz stable. I believe it will run at that speed. :) 

In regards to LINUX_o
Quote:
Good luck finding a board the 805 is typically going to paired with that can OC.

Well I just did:) 

If you are looking to go with a conroe, or even the new Quad core chips, then I suggest you wait to buy a new MB for it is almost inevitable that socket compatibility will become an issue as it always has :) 

Coolermaster Black Cavalier 4 (CAV-TO4)
Evga 133-P4-NF51-AX
350W Stock PS
Intel Pentium D 805 w/Stock HTSink-Fan
1GB Geil DDRII 533 4-4-4-12
80GB Hitachi DS SATAII
Chaintech GeForce 6200TC
Lite-On DVD DL
March 13, 2006 6:14:36 AM

Congrats Denster, those are amazing numbers on stock air. Did you have to bump vcore to get there? My present game machine works great and sounds like a Hoover when pushed to get stable Prime. Don't think the Athlon would be stable at 62 :)  I've been following the AMD performance curve and just want to try a Pentium system again since I like both actually. For some reason I can tolerate crashes and reboots on games but not on a HTPC which I expect to run like my refrigerator, quiet and gives me no s...t along the way.
March 13, 2006 9:44:14 AM

In response to Woodchuck:

Quote:
Congrats Denster, those are amazing numbers on stock air. Did you have to bump vcore to get there?


I did up the VCore as little as possible. Only 100mA on the Pentium D (from 1.35 to 1.45) with temps steady at about 40-50c depending on ambient air.

On the X2 the VCore is around 1.4V as well with temps below 40c under light load :) 


AND BTW... This EVGA NF51 is an awesome ATX board, and has completely configurable SMART FAN Options: CPU, and 2 other fans, PLUS Thermal Throttling options :) 



SYSTEM I

Aspire XPlorer
EVGA 133-K8-NF41-AX
550W Black Beauty PS
AMD64 X2 4400+ w/Zalman Cooler
3 GB Corsair XMS
250GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA II
EVGA 6800GS CO SE
SBAudigy
Terminator TV/FM Card (for Jazz radio)
Olevia 26" Widescreen
Logitech Mx Laser Mouse w/Thermaltake Lighted Gaming Pad
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard/Thrustmaster Game Controller
NEC DL DVDRW
Memorex DVDRW
80GB Seagate Ext. Hard Drive
30GB Apple iPod Video
Windows XP SP2 (updated)



SYSTEM II

Aspire XCruiser
Gigabyte K8N PRO SLI
550W PS
AMD64 3200+ w/Zalman Cooler
1GB Patriot RAM
250GB WD ATA
Chaintech GeForce 6200TC
Samsung 910MP TV Monitor
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
NEC DL DVDRW
BenQ DVD DL
Windows XP SP2 (updated)



SYSTEM III

Coolermaster Black Cavalier 4 (CAV-TO4)
Evga 133-P4-NF51-AX
350W Stock PS
Intel Pentium D 805 w/Stock HTSink-Fan
1GB Geil DDRII 533 4-4-4-12
80GB Hitachi DS SATAII
Chaintech GeForce 6200TC
Lite-On DVD DL
Windows XP SP2 (updated)
March 13, 2006 1:57:38 PM

VINDICATION-How sweeeet it is. :D 

Thanx sooooo much for the reply.
Now, if they release a PD 905 for around the same price....... 8)
!