Preslers and Nvidia nForce4 chipsets ??

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
With the release of Intels new Presler series (9xx ) over the new year, it has finally hit the shops and actually not as expensive as i thought it woud be (thank god for that) the pentium D 920 and 930 i would say goes for a decent price considering virtualization technology and the other goodies..

Anyway, i have been trying to give myself a reason to get one of these babies but i seem to have gathered from some reading that all pentiun D series (even the older 8xx series) can only run on a Motherboard with the i9xx Express chipset family.

i have proven this to be wrong as i saw some cases of the pentium D 8xx series running on an Nvidia n Force4 chipset mobo.

Considering i have an new ASUS motherboard with a load of features which i am totally in love with but the problem is that it utilizes an Nvidia nForce4-SLI Intel edition chipset.

Anyone know if nForce 4 chipsets can will work with the pentium D 9xx (presler) series??

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Dont anyone even have a slight clue 8O 8O

This forum is not only for comparing AMD against INTEL you know. :lol: :lol:

This is the real deal :lol: :lol:

i need ideas please.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Yes the nForce4 chipsets are fully compatible with the 8xx and 9xx series. You may need to check the specific manufacturer for the lower end non-SLI ones, but most should have support. The only Intel dual core that was finicky was the 820D on the original nForce4 SLI board. However, the problem was corrected on the nForce4 SLI x16 and doesn't occur for the 920D.

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Thanks man :D

and yes, its an nForce4 SLI that i have :wink:

any links to help me read?? i would appreciate em if you got some

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I just wanted to say, that if the presler is for that Asus motherboard, I did check the site and saw no CPU support for 950 or 9xx for that P5ND2-SLI. (unless it not the one)

So hard to say, since it is a Nfore4 SLI chipset, or I over looked it, or Asus just don't wanna keep info update.. heh

Just my 2 cents...

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
With the release of Intels new Presler series (9xx ) over the new year, it has finally hit the shops and actually not as expensive as i thought it woud be (thank god for that) the pentium D 920 and 930 i would say goes for a decent price considering virtualization technology and the other goodies..

Anyway, i have been trying to give myself a reason to get one of these babies but i seem to have gathered from some reading that all pentiun D series (even the older 8xx series) can only run on a Motherboard with the i9xx Express chipset family.

i have proven this to be wrong as i saw some cases of the pentium D 8xx series running on an Nvidia n Force4 chipset mobo.

Considering i have an new ASUS motherboard with a load of features which i am totally in love with but the problem is that it utilizes an Nvidia nForce4-SLI Intel edition chipset.

Anyone know if nForce 4 chipsets can will work with the pentium D 9xx (presler) series??

if you can get a board that supports conroe (if there is such a thing as conroe support) or better still wait for conroe - it would be worth it, the P4's are slow, the AMDs are quicker and the conroe is even quicker.

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
The lack of 65nm 9xx support on the original SLI is kind of wierd when they seem to support the 65nm 6x1 Cedar Mills.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

exactly my confusion :? if officially it doesnt, how come some manufacturers get it to?? :?

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
This should answer your question.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5N32-SLI%20Deluxe

thanks for the help, but that link is for the P5N32-SLI which does support presler cores, however mine is a P5ND2-SLI, the website says it only supports Pentium D 8xx series, it can support them with an nForce 4 chipset then why not the 9xx (preslers) ??

Or is the site just not up to date, if so how come they could update the P5N32-SLI and not the P5ND2-SLI ??

so many unanswered questions :cry: :cry:

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Ahhh,

I see your point. Sorry about the misinformation. It could be that they have not completed a BIOS update. The deductive reasoning would be:

If you look closely at their site and the board I originally gave the link to, you'll find that the 9xx series preslers were not supported till the latest bios, 308. It was released on 2/23/06.

Your board has not had a BIOS update since 1/05/06 so chances are your due for presler support any time now. That would be my best guess. :wink:

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Ahhh,

I see your point. Sorry about the misinformation. It could be that they have not completed a BIOS update. The deductive reasoning would be:

If you look closely at their site and the board I originally gave the link to, you'll find that the 9xx series preslers were not supported till the latest bios, 308. It was released on 2/23/06.

Your board has not had a BIOS update since 1/05/06 so chances are your due for presler support any time now. That would be my best guess. :wink:

good observation my friend :D