SATA drives keeps failing

SWODNIW

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Hi everybody,

I have an ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe Mainboard and recently bought a SATA drive; 250 gig Seagate SATA 150 with NCQ. After a few weeks (continous running) i found in event viewer lots of messages like:
"An error was detected on device DeviceHarddisk1D during a paging operation."
and
"The device, DeviceScsiUlSata1, did not respond within the timeout period."

I tested the drive with the tool provided by seagate who reported a defective drive. Changed the drive with the vendor, and got another model: Maxtor 250 gig SATA 150 with 16 Mb cache.

After another few weeks of continous running with the new drive the messages in event viewer apeared again. I changed the SATA port from the embeded Promise controller to integrated to chipset one. Nothing good happened.

I have to tell you that i use this drive as a boot drive partitioned 50 / 200 gig. Also an extensive chkdsk reports bad clusters.

It crossed my mind that the SATA controller defects the drives. Could it be possible. Any ideas ? I`m fresh out.

Thanx in advance.

Superheat

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Things I would check:

1. Be sure you have the latest bios revision for your motherboard
2. Check your drivers after installation for latest drivers
3. Get the latest driver for your chipset
4. Check your MOBO to be sure you are plugging into proper SATA connector. Some mobos have connector dedicated to raid only.

SWODNIW

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Mobo BIOS and drivers are all at the latest versions available. I`m an experienced user (say me :) ...) and i keep my OS and firmwares up to date. Like i said before, i used both embeded controller (Promise 378) and ICH controller, all with the same result.
Further more, i checked the drive with powermax 4, and got a "failing drive" result.
Since is the second drive that fails in the same way, i begin to suspect the mobo.
The question is: can a SATA controller affect a drive in a way that the drive fails, because i have never experienced something like that before, or it was bad luck and maybe the third drive will perform well.

Or, there is a problem with SATA drives and i should return to PATA.

Thanx a lot.

Superheat

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
I would be more suspicious of a mobo problem or power supply problem. I have had some bad drives arrive in the past. The chance of getting 2 bad drives??? I doubt it. I dont believe that the controller could cause damage to disk drive. An electrical or heat problem would be more likely culprit.

SWODNIW

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Thank you very much for your time.
It seems that other folks have problems with SATA drives too.
It is very strange since i have a similar setup (SATA+PATA) only that i boot from SATA.
I will search further for a solution to this problem, and i`ll let you know, maybe you will use the intel.

Thanx again.