A college based VPN

This is for an assignment I am doing at school. A college wants to
allow their year co-ordinators to access Microsoft Access and make
changes/additions to their records from home. To do so they propose
either a) a dialback system or b) an internet based connection.

I decided that VPN would probably be the best way to go because it is
fairly cost-effective, it is accessible and it has the neccessary
security. It is mentioned in the problem that the college already has a
server(s), and I am assuming that it also has an application for
software.

I am assuming that this is also designed to be a cost-effective
solution, because obviously only a dozen or so home-users will need to
access the network and they probably will not all be accessing the
network at the same time.

Basically what I am asking is, will the default Microsoft software be
sufficient in both security and compatibility to allow users access to
the application server to change/add records to the database? and if
not what sort of additional software will be neccessary?

I'd also like to know what the cost would be for any additional
hardware that the school may need to purchase. I am guessing probably a
new router and PIX firewall, however is there anything else that would
be required?

Any answers you have would be great, cheers :)

sonelliot@hotmail.com wrote:
> This is for an assignment I am doing at school. A college wants to
> allow their year co-ordinators to access Microsoft Access and make
> changes/additions to their records from home. To do so they propose
> either a) a dialback system or b) an internet based connection.
>
> I decided that VPN would probably be the best way to go because it is
> fairly cost-effective, it is accessible and it has the neccessary
> security. It is mentioned in the problem that the college already has a
> server(s), and I am assuming that it also has an application for
> software.
>
> I am assuming that this is also designed to be a cost-effective
> solution, because obviously only a dozen or so home-users will need to
> access the network and they probably will not all be accessing the
> network at the same time.
>
> Basically what I am asking is, will the default Microsoft software be
> sufficient in both security and compatibility to allow users access to
> the application server to change/add records to the database? and if
> not what sort of additional software will be neccessary?
>
> I'd also like to know what the cost would be for any additional
> hardware that the school may need to purchase. I am guessing probably a
> new router and PIX firewall, however is there anything else that would
> be required?
>
> Any answers you have would be great, cheers :)

Do your own homework.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)