Can't open folder by left clicking in Explorer

I don't know what I've done, but whenever I click a folder
in Windows Explorer to open it, the Search Results window
appears rather than a listing of the contents of the
folder. If I right-click the folder, the context menu
shows Search as the top listing above Open. If I click
Open, the contents of the folder will appear. Can anyone
tell me how I can get Search and Open to switch places?
Thank you, Robert
6 answers Last reply
More about open folder left clicking explorer

    Hi

    Try the following link to Kelly's web site. Please read the directions at
    the top of the page:

    Line 18 - right hand side

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know what I've done, but whenever I click a folder
    > in Windows Explorer to open it, the Search Results window
    > appears rather than a listing of the contents of the
    > folder. If I right-click the folder, the context menu
    > shows Search as the top listing above Open. If I click
    > Open, the contents of the folder will appear. Can anyone
    > tell me how I can get Search and Open to switch places?
    > Thank you, Robert

    Type in Start Run
    regsvr32 /i shell32

    http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    "Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46a501c49069$69122860$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    > I don't know what I've done, but whenever I click a folder
    > in Windows Explorer to open it, the Search Results window
    > appears rather than a listing of the contents of the
    > folder. If I right-click the folder, the context menu
    > shows Search as the top listing above Open. If I click
    > Open, the contents of the folder will appear. Can anyone
    > tell me how I can get Search and Open to switch places?
    > Thank you, Robert

    Will and David: I thank you both for your replies to my
    original message. I have not tried your suggestions yet
    because I don't want to create additional problems.

    I think I know what happened to cause my problem. I was
    following directions in a WinXPnews letter to add the
    option of printing the contents of a folder in Explorer to
    the right-click menu. I created a batch file called
    Printdir.bat, and saved the file as %windir%\Printdir.bat.
    I went to Folder Options, File Types tab, clicked File
    Folder, clicked the Advance button, clicked the New
    button, and typed Print Directory Listing in the Action
    box, and Printdir.bat in the Application used to perform
    action box.

    I was unable to perform the next step to edit the Registry
    by navigating to HKEY CLASSES ROOT\Directory\shell because
    I could not find the item in Regedit in my Windows XP Home
    Edition.

    At this point I did not know what to do. I right-clicked
    a folder and the menu showed Print Directory Listing. I
    clicked it and the listing was printed. However, when I
    left-clicked a folder the Search Results window popped up
    rather than the contents of the folder. To open a folder,
    I had to right-click it, scroll down the menu and left-
    click Open.

    I hope someone can tell me how to find the necessary item
    to edit in Regedit, or how to restore my computer to its
    status before I engaged in the above exercise. I have
    contacted WinXPnews with no response as yet, and I have
    tried System Restore and it does not do anything. Thank
    you, Robert

    Just do what I said or do what will said. It's a common problem.

    "Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5a6301c491df$9aec79e0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Will and David: I thank you both for your replies to my
    > original message. I have not tried your suggestions yet
    > because I don't want to create additional problems.
    >
    > I think I know what happened to cause my problem. I was
    > following directions in a WinXPnews letter to add the
    > option of printing the contents of a folder in Explorer to
    > the right-click menu. I created a batch file called
    > Printdir.bat, and saved the file as %windir%\Printdir.bat.
    > I went to Folder Options, File Types tab, clicked File
    > Folder, clicked the Advance button, clicked the New
    > button, and typed Print Directory Listing in the Action
    > box, and Printdir.bat in the Application used to perform
    > action box.
    >
    > I was unable to perform the next step to edit the Registry
    > by navigating to HKEY CLASSES ROOT\Directory\shell because
    > I could not find the item in Regedit in my Windows XP Home
    > Edition.
    >
    > At this point I did not know what to do. I right-clicked
    > a folder and the menu showed Print Directory Listing. I
    > clicked it and the listing was printed. However, when I
    > left-clicked a folder the Search Results window popped up
    > rather than the contents of the folder. To open a folder,
    > I had to right-click it, scroll down the menu and left-
    > click Open.
    >
    > I hope someone can tell me how to find the necessary item
    > to edit in Regedit, or how to restore my computer to its
    > status before I engaged in the above exercise. I have
    > contacted WinXPnews with no response as yet, and I have
    > tried System Restore and it does not do anything. Thank
    > you, Robert

    Will and David: Boy you guys are great. I followed Will's
    suggestion and my problem was solved. I really appreciate
    your fine help and I thank both of you. Robert

  6. :bounce: Thanks you for the replies in this forum.. I also have the same problem like with robert.. I searched from many forums the solutions but there are no answers until i stumble in tomshradware forums here i tried your tips and then it worked..they you very much now i am registered in this forum cuz it really helps me with my solve my problems in my pc,,thanks more power!!

Windows Explorer Explorer Microsoft Windows XP