Cooling the 7900GT

a_Jhawk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Ok IMO i think that the 7900GT's fan is a little small. So i was think about getting the Artic Cooling AVC-NV5R3 nv Silencer Rev.3. Would this work on the 7900 or should i just wait for Atric cooling to release a product desigined for the 7900?

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Let me get this right.

You looked at the 7800GT and saw the massive fan, then went back to the 7900GT and saw that little thingy working as a fan, and now you're wondering if you should get a bigger one. First of all, do you even have the card yet? Are you running it at really high Temps that are pushing you to buy an aftermarket fan?

As far as I know, the 7900GT series should generate lesser heat than the 7800GT (Even with the smaller fan).

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Basically the 7800 and 7900 is not much different but the 7900 is the 90nm version of the 7800. So with it's new chip architecture it should be cooler otherwise they wouldn't just leave the 7900GT's ram with no heatsink if heat is a major concern. I would guess the temps will be the same or cooler than the 7800 but with smaller fan and maybe it could quiter as well.

I would try running it first and test it with high setting and get the temps. Only then you can replace the cooler with an aftermarket, if the temps are not cool enough for you. If it doesn't go over 65c* then you should be alright. But keep in mind that removing the card's cooler voids it's warranty as saying in manufacturer warranty deal that any software or hardware modification voids the card's warranty.

So for me, Im not worried about the temps and overheating for if it destroys my card I could get a new one with the warranty.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, the artic cooling is pretty good got it for one of my pc with a 7800GT. I got the Nv. Silencer Rev.3 but for my sli it doesn't fit because it very huge so I only have the stock cooler for my SLI 7800GTX. As for my 7800GT with the AC cooler it was a lot cooler especially the case since it vents out the hot air outside the case, as oppose to the stock cooler that will just blows the hot air back inside. I just wished the AC cooler was a little slimmer, it would be nice to see my sli with these coolers in them.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
My recommendation would be to get a Zalman VF700CU. Performance is excellent and the price is nearly identical to the AC Silencer. You won't be disappointed.

a_Jhawk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Let me get this right.

You looked at the 7800GT and saw the massive fan, then went back to the 7900GT and saw that little thingy working as a fan, and now you're wondering if you should get a bigger one. First of all, do you even have the card yet? Are you running it at really high Temps that are pushing you to buy an aftermarket fan?

As far as I know, the 7900GT series should generate lesser heat than the 7800GT (Even with the smaller fan).

no i dont have the card yet but as soon as newegg get them back in stock im buying one.

And i just think the fan is to small to be cooling the card. I think bigger is better and it would be awsome if the card took up two slots and sucked in cool air from outside the case (like the ati cards do), because im not going to put anything below the 7900 anyway.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The idea that "bigger is better" only applies to what you need. What are the temperatures of the card? That's all that matters. It's like comparing a Prescott to a Venice -.-

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Artic cooling Accelero X1, New sherrif in town. The NV silencer is dead, This new shark is cooler, gpu controlled, fan speeds for 2d mode and 3d mode can be changed in rivatuner. its smaller, cools alot better and should fit the 7900GT no problem. I should have my 7900 gt by wenesday and ill get a artic cooling accelero X1 to test. Just google it to get reviews. Way quieter than the vf700, cools better, and the fan adjusts to 3d mode, and 2d mode. Vf700 runs at only 1 mode all the time.

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
i would wait until the 7900gt arrives first. no , the AC NV5 silencer rev3 is not compatible with the 7900gt, first of all the 7900gt features all new PCB which has much different memory arrangement than the old 7800gt. plus the new 90nm core doesn't even come with a shim like the 7800gt.

look at the screenshot below.... the memory arrangement on the 7900gt is further back than the old 7800gt.
03.jpg

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Artic cooling Accelero X1, New sherrif in town. The NV silencer is dead, This new shark is cooler, gpu controlled, fan speeds for 2d mode and 3d mode can be changed in rivatuner. its smaller, cools alot better and should fit the 7900GT no problem. I should have my 7900 gt by wenesday and ill get a artic cooling accelero X1 to test. Just google it to get reviews. Way quieter than the vf700, cools better, and the fan adjusts to 3d mode, and 2d mode. Vf700 runs at only 1 mode all the time.
VF700CU has a hardware wire change you can use to adjust fan speed. Even at highest though, it's next to impossible to hear.

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Thanks so much for that pic man. Its really helpfull and the only way someone like me without a 7900 gt would be able to know the exact length difference. Looks like a half inch to me. Well the NV5 is definietly out. The Accelero X1 is much smaller, doesnt cover the whole card like the nv5. I saw reviews and its smaller than a 7800GT reference cooler in length. But ur advice is best, I can measure the exact space on the PCB and check the measurements on the Accelero X1 since it fits like a normal heatsink. The other alternative is a Zalman vf 700. Honestly, after reading the reviews im confused. See I know the zalman can be switched to either 5v mode, and 12 v. But who is going to open their case everytime they want to change speed if they're leaving the pc on while they sleep to complete a download or something or other 2d apps. Its impossible. From what I hear the Zalman is loud at 12v. I really dont know, youll have to give me ur honest oppionion. I have a Zalman cnps7000 B which runs at low in idle for the cpu. And my case is well ventilated so i only have 2 very quiet case fans (inaudible) and a inaudible power supply with a 120 mm fan. So I dont know how i will react to the noise. Some people have different levels of quiet and loud. Gaming doesnt bother me cause I have headphones/speakers on. Its 2d applications at night, and when someone is typing a word document at 7 am in my room with a gpu fan at loud that bothers me. Thats why I was leaning towards the Accelero X1 as its fan is at 25% in 2d mode(desktop) (almost inaudible) and 100% in 3d mode and load for powerfull gaming. Just like a normal heatsink. The zalman will fit no problem, so I guess i just need your oppiinions on it. Any help is appreciated
accelero.jpg

Hmm, This will be truely a exact tight fit, or a non fit. Only way to find out is simply measure the 7900GT and see it will work. if not the vf700 is my only choice

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
yes, but will it fit. I have one go, Someone is ordering some stuff for a pc and I have one chance to slip a cooler in to the price for the 7900GT. VF700 or Accerlero X1. The order is being made on wenesday. The 7900 Gt is only about 1/2 inch shorter than the X1. All I need is a measurement from the first mounting hole on the left of the 7900 GT to where the closet cap is. Simple. I would love the vf700. But is it going to be loud in 12 v mode. :cry:

sik1977

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
Does the Zalman cooler actively cools the ram on the 7900GT?

I don't understand why such high clocked ram on the 7900GT (XFX clocks their's upto 825Mhz on the xxx version) doesn't require a heatsink. That ram must get very hot!! and should be harder to overclock without extra cooling (but doesn't seems to be the case in a review i read of the XFX 7900GT xxx version which doesn't mention it as an issue).

Can someone please explain why such high clocked ram doesn't require active cooling or heatsinks??

I have a Asus EN7800GTX TOP which comes with the Artic Silencer cooler preinstalled and is factory overclocked to 486/1350 (from 430/1200) and is inaudible (very happy with it). But even with that huge heatsink I don't think I can go much beyond 1400 (i.e. 700Mhz) on the memory without getting artifacts. I know that some silicon clocks better then other, and a better timing on a piece of silicon, such as 1.2ns rated part would be faster then a 1.4ns part, but doesn't a faster part require passive or active cooling?? or is it just a myth like the recent debate over heatspreads used by Corsair and OCZ.

I also live in a very hot climate, i.e., in summers the temperatures can rise to 50C/122F, so a good cooler is also very much needed throughout summer from letting the parts from overheating and ultimately dieing.

Thanks.

P.s' only have experience with the Artic coolers, so would vote for them over Zalman and specially if Zalman doesn't actively/passively cools the ram modules.

P.s' 2 - Does anyone know whats timing ram is used on the standard 7800GTX and the 7900GT? I read that the 7800GTX 512 used the rarely available 1.1ns and the 7900GTX uses a slightly slower 1.2ns for better availability.

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Well after doing a whole bunch of research and photos I am sure it will fit 100%. Yes, take a look at the 7900g and if compared to the 7800 gt from behind youll see that they both have the same mounting holes (9) of them and the mounting holes are spaceed exactly the same. The only difference is that to accomodate for the shorting of the pcb the first mounting hole on the left has been pulled almost a inch closer to the back of the dvi connector. Therefore allowing the card to be shortened but keeping the same hole measurments. Which means this cooler will fit as it will be in the same mounting holes. Just pulled tp the left. As the cooler starts at the first mounting hole and ends at the last, almost exactly. If you look at it from under. But know theres a second issue. On the left side of the card you will notice a small capacitor that isnt found on the other 7800's series cars. Its right next to the first mounting hole. And this could cause an issue. The artic Accelero is slightly raised to the gpu height but thats a few mm. Theres no way to tell how long this capacitator is. If its too long then the Accelero will simply no be able to sit on the card properly. DANG, what the heck are these so called modders and reviewers doing. Why they just get a dang reference accelero cooler and stick the dang thing on a 7900 gt so the whole dang world will know if it works. Itll only take 5 minutes. These pc so called "geeks" test, mod, and do stuff to pc's from dipping it in oil, to freezing it, to using shoelaces to hold fans up but they cant attach a simple heatsink to a card to see if it works. The artic cooling company are jack@**es too, cant they test it and put it on the compatability list as yes/no. MAN, these rookies. With all theri brains their this dumb, aaaaa. Well what can i say, if u want something done right, u gotta do it urself. :roll:

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Does the Zalman cooler actively cools the ram on the 7900GT?

I don't understand why such high clocked ram on the 7900GT (XFX clocks their's upto 825Mhz on the xxx version) doesn't require a heatsink. That ram must get very hot!! and should be harder to overclock without extra cooling (but doesn't seems to be the case in a review i read of the XFX 7900GT xxx version which doesn't mention it as an issue).

Can someone please explain why such high clocked ram doesn't require active cooling or heatsinks??

I have a Asus EN7800GTX TOP which comes with the Artic Silencer cooler preinstalled and is factory overclocked to 486/1350 (from 430/1200) and is inaudible (very happy with it). But even with that huge heatsink I don't think I can go much beyond 1400 (i.e. 700Mhz) on the memory without getting artifacts. I know that some silicon clocks better then other, and a better timing on a piece of silicon, such as 1.2ns rated part would be faster then a 1.4ns part, but doesn't a faster part require passive or active cooling?? or is it just a myth like the recent debate over heatspreads used by Corsair and OCZ.

I also live in a very hot climate, i.e., in summers the temperatures can rise to 50C/122F, so a good cooler is also very much needed throughout summer from letting the parts from overheating and ultimately dieing.

Thanks.

P.s' only have experience with the Artic coolers, so would vote for them over Zalman and specially if Zalman doesn't actively/passively cools the ram modules.

P.s' 2 - Does anyone know whats timing ram is used on the standard 7800GTX and the 7900GT? I read that the 7800GTX 512 used the rarely available 1.1ns and the 7900GTX uses a slightly slower 1.2ns for better availability.
sik in all honesty i think heatsinks (to a certain degree) on memory are worthless. heatspreaders on my ram, which runs extremely hot, really did hinder the performance of the vantec tornado right above them. however, on VGA ram, I think it could certainly help to have a heatsink on the ram to give it more surface area to cool. the vf700 does have passive heatsinks, yes, but the 80mm fan cooling the core also can reach out to hit the sinks (if you look at the design you'll see that) as well as the rest of the card. if you really want to find out what timing your VGA ram has, you might want to figure out what bios it has first and see what you can dig up on that.

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
hmmmm, Well the 7900 GT doesn't even have memory heatsinks so Im guessing the Vf700 will only help. I really wanted the accelero X1 but there seems to be a small capacitator on the left side of the card that might make it impossible to fit.

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Actually the 1900 XTX is more than an inch longer than the 7900 GT. The accelero would fit but theres a small capacitator on the left side of the 7900 GT that is over 3 mm, therefore it would interfere with the Accelero Heatsink and it wouldn't be able to lie flat on the GPU. Anyways I have the vf700 which performs very good and idles around 38c.