Network Install Help Please?

peter

To Anyone,

I have installed an HP DeskJet 694C directly to my NT4.0 server thru LPT1
parallel port on the server. My problem is that I can not get my XP
workstations to print out of the printer at all. When I try to add the
printer to the workstation, it is looking for a driver from the server. I
can not seem to pull that driver off the server. I think I will need a step
by step instruction on how to properly get this thing set up. Any help
would be appreciated! I have been trying to get this to work for 6 months
now. No success. Thanks.

Peter.

bill

Peter wrote:

>I have installed an HP DeskJet 694C directly to my NT4.0 server thru LPT1
>parallel port on the server. My problem is that I can not get my XP
>workstations to print out of the printer at all. When I try to add the
>printer to the workstation, it is looking for a driver from the server. I
>can not seem to pull that driver off the server. I think I will need a step
>by step instruction on how to properly get this thing set up. Any help
>would be appreciated! I have been trying to get this to work for 6 months
>now. No success. Thanks.

Sounds like you need to install the network printer drivers. I'm
guessing HP has them available on their website, but I don't know if
they have drivers for that printer (which is rather old).

mark

NT server will not recognize the XP drivers to allow you to add them. To
get around this you will need to install the XP drivers locally first, like
to the LPT port. Then, when you install the network printer, XP already has
the drivers.

Mark
"Peter" <h_youth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To Anyone,
>
> I have installed an HP DeskJet 694C directly to my NT4.0 server thru LPT1
> parallel port on the server. My problem is that I can not get my XP
> workstations to print out of the printer at all. When I try to add the
> printer to the workstation, it is looking for a driver from the server. I
> can not seem to pull that driver off the server. I think I will need a
step
> by step instruction on how to properly get this thing set up. Any help
> would be appreciated! I have been trying to get this to work for 6 months
> now. No success. Thanks.
>
> Peter.

peter

Mark,

Thanks for the info. Do you mean physically take the printer to the
workstation and install it as a local printer? Then... physically take
the printer to the NT 4.0 server and install it there out of the LPT1 port
with the NT driver?

Pete..

"Peter" <h_youth@hotmail.com> wrote let it be known in

> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the info. Do you mean physically take the
> printer to the workstation and install it as a local
> printer? Then... physically take the printer to the NT
> 4.0 server and install it there out of the LPT1 port with
> the NT driver?
>
> Pete..

Physically install the printer to the LPT port of the XP
machine. Install all drivers and do a test page.

Move the printer back to the NT machine.

Go through the 'add printer' routine like before, but this time
it should detect that appropriate drivers are already installed
on the local machine.

Once it is installed and working over the network, you can
delete the LPT1: version of the printer. (Don't delete it until
the networked printer is set up, or it may delete the drivers as
well...) IF it prompts you to delete the drivers, say 'No'! (but
it shouldn't ask, since the dirvers by that time will also be
needed by another installed printer).

I've done this hundreds of times...

mark

You shouldn't have to physically move the printer- just lie to the computer
and say it's on LPT1. By moving it, though, you do get to print a test page
to be sure the drivers got installed....

Mark
"Peter" <h_youth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the info. Do you mean physically take the printer to the
> workstation and install it as a local printer? Then... physically take
> the printer to the NT 4.0 server and install it there out of the LPT1 port
> with the NT driver?
>
> Pete..
>

> "Mark" <marklb@bogus.net> wrote in message
> > NT server will not recognize the XP drivers to allow you to add them.
> > get around this you will need to install the XP drivers locally first,
> > like
> > to the LPT port. Then, when you install the network printer, XP already
> > has
> > the drivers.
> >
> > Mark
> > "Peter" <h_youth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> To Anyone,
> >>
> >> I have installed an HP DeskJet 694C directly to my NT4.0 server thru
LPT1
> >> parallel port on the server. My problem is that I can not get my XP
> >> workstations to print out of the printer at all. When I try to add the
> >> printer to the workstation, it is looking for a driver from the server.
> >> can not seem to pull that driver off the server. I think I will need a
> > step
> >> by step instruction on how to properly get this thing set up. Any help
> >> would be appreciated! I have been trying to get this to work for 6
> >> months
> >> now. No success. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Peter.

peter

Mark & Curt,

I will give it a go. Will let you know how I made out.

Thanks for the info!

Pete..
"Curt Bousquet" <NNTP@scanline.com.nospam> wrote in message
> "Peter" <h_youth@hotmail.com> wrote let it be known in
>

>> Mark,
>>
>> Thanks for the info. Do you mean physically take the
>> printer to the workstation and install it as a local
>> printer? Then... physically take the printer to the NT
>> 4.0 server and install it there out of the LPT1 port with
>> the NT driver?
>>
>> Pete..
>
> Physically install the printer to the LPT port of the XP
> machine. Install all drivers and do a test page.
>
> Move the printer back to the NT machine.
>
> Go through the 'add printer' routine like before, but this time
> it should detect that appropriate drivers are already installed
> on the local machine.
>
> Once it is installed and working over the network, you can
> delete the LPT1: version of the printer. (Don't delete it until
> the networked printer is set up, or it may delete the drivers as
> well...) IF it prompts you to delete the drivers, say 'No'! (but
> it shouldn't ask, since the dirvers by that time will also be
> needed by another installed printer).
>
> I've done this hundreds of times...

peter

Curt,

No go. XP says driver not compatible when I try to install it on the
workstation. the printer installed perfectly on the NT server. Any
thoughts?

Peter