VPN and XP Firewall issues

Last response: in Networking
Share
March 17, 2005 11:52:45 AM

I've set up a VPN to access my home network when I'm on the road using my
laptop. I can login and create the VPN connection. What I can't do is access
LAN resources with the Windows XP Firewall enabled.

VPN Client is configured on my laptop. VPN Server is configured on my
desktop. Both sytems have XP Home SP2. I have a Netgear wireless router that
I configured the VPN through port forwarding and static IP address
assignment for the VPN Server host.

If I turn off Windows Firewall, resource access works seamlessly. Can I use
the Windows XP firewall with this VPN setup? If so, how do I sent it up?

Thanks so much for you insight and wisdom.

Cheers

CompuGuy@bresnan.net

More about : vpn firewall issues

March 24, 2005 10:47:26 AM

You need to allow the correct port through the firewall. If you have a
router already then you can probably just leave off the Windows
firewall, as your router has a firewall built-in, which is far superior
to the Windows one. If you don't have a router I would get one anyway.

If you still want to enable the Windows Firewall, just find out what
port you are using and go to the control panel and open Windows
Firewall. Click the exceptions tab and then the add port button. Then
just put in some name, and then specify the port you need to let
through and select whether it is TCP or UDP. Repeat that process until
you have all of the ports opened that you need.

Chad
!