DVD

September 1, 2004 8:11:05 PM

Cannot play DVD on XP.
I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
working fine.
Thanks

More about : dvd

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 8:28:04 PM

Do you have a proper software player and decoder. XP does not come natively
with a DVD application.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"des27" <des27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cannot play DVD on XP.
> I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
> else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
> working fine.
> Thanks
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:49:13 PM

I installled DVD&MP3 XPack from Intervideo. Is that enough?

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:

> Do you have a proper software player and decoder. XP does not come natively
> with a DVD application.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "des27" <des27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cannot play DVD on XP.
> > I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
> > else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
> > working fine.
> > Thanks

September 1, 2004 10:56:16 PM

From what I can see, yes. Is this the primary disk or is the DVD a copy.
If it's a copy, that's likely the issue. If not, if the disk was from a
different region, something that is implied but is not clear from your post,
that could also be the issue.

You probably should contact interVideo's tech support.

--

>I installled DVD&MP3 XPack from Intervideo. Is that enough?
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:
>
>> Do you have a proper software player and decoder. XP does not come
>> natively
>> with a DVD application.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "des27" <des27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Cannot play DVD on XP.
>> > I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
>> > else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything
>> > is
>> > working fine.
>> > Thanks

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:31:02 AM

It is a new DVD. I will call Intervideo

"des27" wrote:

> I installled DVD&MP3 XPack from Intervideo. Is that enough?
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:
>
> > Do you have a proper software player and decoder. XP does not come natively
> > with a DVD application.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >
> > "des27" <des27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Cannot play DVD on XP.
> > > I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
> > > else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
> > > working fine.
> > > Thanks

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 4:46:59 PM

> Cannot play DVD on XP.
> I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
> else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
> working fine.
> Thanks

I recently installed a MicroAdvantage DVD drive on my system. When first
installed following their instructions, it would r/w data properly but not
play standard commercial DVDs.

It turns out that they had included third party software on their CD to play
the DVDs -- XP can't do it on it's own without additional software. Nowhere
in the instructions did MicroAdvantage say what the other software was for or
that it should be installed so I had ignored it as junk.

Good luck...

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)
!