DVD

Cannot play DVD on XP.
I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
working fine.
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Do you have a proper software player and decoder. XP does not come natively
    with a DVD application.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "des27" <des27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Cannot play DVD on XP.
    > I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
    > else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
    > working fine.
    > Thanks

    I installled DVD&MP3 XPack from Intervideo. Is that enough?

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:

    > Do you have a proper software player and decoder. XP does not come natively
    > with a DVD application.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "des27" <des27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Cannot play DVD on XP.
    > > I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
    > > else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
    > > working fine.
    > > Thanks

    From what I can see, yes. Is this the primary disk or is the DVD a copy.
    If it's a copy, that's likely the issue. If not, if the disk was from a
    different region, something that is implied but is not clear from your post,
    that could also be the issue.

    You probably should contact interVideo's tech support.

    --

    >I installled DVD&MP3 XPack from Intervideo. Is that enough?
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have a proper software player and decoder. XP does not come
    >> natively
    >> with a DVD application.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "des27" <des27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Cannot play DVD on XP.
    >> > I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
    >> > else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything
    >> > is
    >> > working fine.
    >> > Thanks

    It is a new DVD. I will call Intervideo

    "des27" wrote:

    > I installled DVD&MP3 XPack from Intervideo. Is that enough?
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:
    >
    > > Do you have a proper software player and decoder. XP does not come natively
    > > with a DVD application.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > > Windows Shell/User
    > > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > >
    > > "des27" <des27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Cannot play DVD on XP.
    > > > I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
    > > > else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
    > > > working fine.
    > > > Thanks

    > Cannot play DVD on XP.
    > I can read and play on a TV, but not on Windows XP. Do I need something
    > else. Set the DVD to USA zone. According to device manager, everything is
    > working fine.
    > Thanks

    I recently installed a MicroAdvantage DVD drive on my system. When first
    installed following their instructions, it would r/w data properly but not
    play standard commercial DVDs.

    It turns out that they had included third party software on their CD to play
    the DVDs -- XP can't do it on it's own without additional software. Nowhere
    in the instructions did MicroAdvantage say what the other software was for or
    that it should be installed so I had ignored it as junk.

    Good luck...

    Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

DVD Microsoft Windows XP