Why wont my monitor work when I'm installing a new graphic..

Ark3000

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
card? Im trying to install my 6600GT OC but everytime I plug it in the AGP slot, my monitor doesnt display anything. Can anyone tell me whats wrong?

andysapple

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
At the risk of stating the very bloody obvious, is the monitor plugged into the correct hole, and nice and firmly?

Sorry to insult your intelligence, but i found using a digital to vga adaptor with my xfx 6600gt that it had to be screwed down pretty damn tight or the monitor didnt post...

Ark3000

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
yeah its on tight. But does it have anything to do with uninstalling the last graphic card? I THINK I uninstalled it but its pretty hard to tell from an integraded graphic card.

Shad

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Go into your bios and make sure your integrated graphics are turned off etc... then there is always the possibility you got a dead card.

Ark3000

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
is it a standard vga connection or are ther multiple choices cause you have to make sure the monitor knows what to expect. also go into device manager and disable the onboard gfx just to be on the safe side.

Well, its just like any normal VGA monitor but the card comes with two ports that I have no idea what for and an S cable port. But how do I go to my BIOS to disable the card? Is it still in the divice manager?

Ark3000

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
ye those are dvi ports. i'm assuming you using an adapter to connect the dvi cable to you vga port on your monitor. i can only suggest you make sure the connectors are as tight as possible without doing any harm to the sockets

WHAT???!! Is that the problem? Do I have to connect it to those ports? Is there anyway I could use my old VGA ports?

Ark3000

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Man, this is the last time Im buying crap off ebay. Thanks alot Stranger for your help. But is there anyway I could use my old VGA port?

billymeter

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
card? Im trying to install my 6600GT OC but everytime I plug it in the AGP slot, my monitor doesnt display anything. Can anyone tell me whats wrong?

If I understood your posts correctly, I'm assuming you're moving from integrated video to a AGP video card.

You're probably not seeing anything from your monitor because the integrated video has not been turned off. First, plug your monitor back into the old VGA port. Then go into your computer's BIOS. It varies depending on the motherboard, but it's usually F2, F10, F12, DEL or some other variation when you first turn the computer on and it's doing a RAM count (motherboards typically hide this RAM count now with a picture of their logo or the PC brand name. If you tell me what brand of motherboard/PC you have, I should be able to narrow down what key you should press.)

When you're in the BIOS, you need to find the setting to disable the integrated video and then save and exit the BIOS. Shut down the PC and reconnect the monitor to your new video card. Hopefully you should see the output on your monitor.

If you cannot find an option to disable the integrated video in your BIOS, you may have to flash your BIOS to a more current version. Just goto the manufacture's website and search within the support section. It should be pretty easy to find. If you need more help, please let me know.

Ark3000

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
ok, now that I know I have to connect my monitor to the DVI unit, all I need to do is find a damn converter. I've already checked in PC World, CC, and 2 RS. Nothing.

shamoo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
im gonna go out of the way and were gonna use a strange work around
first go to the bios set it to use onboard only make sure onboard is enabled
next install the card
leaveing your moniter pluged into the onboard
wait for windows to boot
insert disk and install all the drivers
next at the desktop after a restart
right click -> properities
and settings
you will notice eyther 2 or 3 displays on your desktop
right click on one of the grayed out ones and click attached
then right click on it again it will now be solid grey
and click use as primary desktop
next click apply
move your moniter cable to new vga plug
if it works good if not reply back.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
im gonna go out of the way and were gonna use a strange work around
first go to the bios set it to use onboard only make sure onboard is enabled
next install the card
leaveing your moniter pluged into the onboard
wait for windows to boot
insert disk and install all the drivers
next at the desktop after a restart
right click -> properities
and settings
you will notice eyther 2 or 3 displays on your desktop
right click on one of the grayed out ones and click attached
then right click on it again it will now be solid grey
and click use as primary desktop
next click apply
move your moniter cable to new vga plug
if it works good if not reply back.

Uhm that won't work. His problem is that he doesn't have a Second VGA connector. They are DVI. He needs to buy an adapter like this

Please read the posts before replying guys.

Ark3000

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
well, I bought one online. Ironically, its from eBay. So are you guys 100% sure I have to use the DVI ports and disreguard my VGA port that came with the comp?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Yep. You may have to tell the BIOS to boot to that card once you get a chance, but you have to have the DVI to VGA connector first. The onboard port can ONLY be used with the onboard chip.