Intel throws good money after a bad chip

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Ya know, that's a good question. I got a great idea, have Intel give us the money and we'll help them design it better :wink:

I've often wondered when Intel is going to "bag" the whole Itanium thing myself. Makes me wonder though because now, they're on the right track with all the other chips lines. Will they do the same for Itanium?

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Let's hope all those billions will make for a die shrink and cooler temps... something that seems to avoic to Intel procs like the plague...

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Ya know, that's a good question. I got a great idea, have Intel give us the money and we'll help them design it better :wink:

I've often wondered when Intel is going to "bag" the whole Itanium thing myself. Makes me wonder though because now, they're on the right track with all the other chips lines. Will they do the same for Itanium?

Concur - But at what cost to their rep. Their new chip looks to be pretty good (based from them). Are they going in two different ways. Based on what I see AMD is investing more to the server side right now and is willing to give some ground on mainstream CPUs to Intel. :wink:

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, I completely agree with that and it's really not a bad thing either. AMD does have a very good architecture in place right now. No need in fixing something that ain't broke I always say.

AMD has such a stronghold on the server market and are making more gains every day. That's one area Intel really suffers in currently.