SATA II on SATA I mobo; not detected. Why?

vol_com

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Hi!
I hooked up SATA II HDD on SATA I mobo (understand that transfer rate is still as SATA I), and I intend to use this Drive as my primary drive where I'll install OS and other programs. Also, I intend to use an IDE HDD as back-up. my mobo is Gigabyte, RZ, 7VT600P-RZ(-C).
After hooking up, and switchin on PC, BIOS unable to detect my SATA HDD, but only IDE. What have I done wrong here? Pls enlighten me. THX!

ms2005

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
SATA2 normally detects fine - try:
- check data cables, sometimes they don't seat well, try another if you have it
- listen for spinup - check power if it doesn't
-try moving power to another string if you are using molex to sata jumper
-try another controller if present - mine has nvidia and promise
- flash MB BIOS
-If all else fails take back and exchange for PATA - there really is no significant performance difference.

S7A88Y

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Had this same problem with my computer, you have to take the manufactures BIOS, save to a FORMATED! floppy and then procede to install W1ndowz, punch F6 when it asks to install a third party driver, and then press enter.

vol_com

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
I havent fixed a floppy drive yet, but one question.
I saw somewhere in this forum that you have to set jumper settings to allow sata hdd to transfer at 1.5Gps instead of the SATA II speed? how do i do that?
I can't seem to find any picture in google to show me how to set those jumpers.
This is then followed by changing BIOS setup of "RAID" to "IDE"? Rite?
anyway can someone send me a link to set those 'em jumpers,
I've been googling for ages....heeelp

pat

Expert
Hi!
I hooked up SATA II HDD on SATA I mobo (understand that transfer rate is still as SATA I), and I intend to use this Drive as my primary drive where I'll install OS and other programs. Also, I intend to use an IDE HDD as back-up. my mobo is Gigabyte, RZ, 7VT600P-RZ(-C).
After hooking up, and switchin on PC, BIOS unable to detect my SATA HDD, but only IDE. What have I done wrong here? Pls enlighten me. THX!

Because there is a jumper on the drive(well most brand has anyway) to set SATA1 compatibility, but you did not read the drive label..