FS I need sound please help

Hi Guys,
This is not OT. I have my grandson age 13 coming to stay in a couple of
days. I have built him a dedicated FS2004 computer from parts I have been
given. I have upgraded it to Windows ME ( Don't ask). All is well, except
that I cannot get the Creative Soundblaster Live card model No CT4780 to
work. I have installed the correct driver from the CD and looked on the
Creative site for help and an upgrade with no luck. Neither the sound, nor,
of course, the game port MS FF sidewinder joystick, will work. I have the
correct driver and CD for that too. I have taken the card out and put it
into a different slot, but no joy. Any suggestions or help would be welcome
as I do want my grandson to have a good experience here, as his parents are
divorcing and well.....

Cheers,
Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
8 answers Last reply
More about sound help

    Did the drivers install correctly?
    Does the sound card show up in Control Panel\System\ Device Manager?
    Is there a conflict showing ? (Again Control Panel\System\ Device
    Manager)
    Check here for a more compatable driver.... http://www.driverguide.com/
    Lastly... Have you put the speaker cable in the right jack socket? (I'm
    asking this 'cos once I was tearing my hair out and that was all the
    problem was !
    Hope this helps...

    Pete

    "Pete" <piperwarrior5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Did the drivers install correctly?
    > Does the sound card show up in Control Panel\System\ Device Manager?
    > Is there a conflict showing ? (Again Control Panel\System\ Device
    > Manager)
    > Check here for a more compatable driver.... http://www.driverguide.com/
    > Lastly... Have you put the speaker cable in the right jack socket? (I'm
    > asking this 'cos once I was tearing my hair out and that was all the
    > problem was !
    > Hope this helps...
    >
    > Pete

    Something else that has bit me in the past. Is the sound output digital (if
    going to digital speaker system). OR, if going to non digital speakers, is
    it analog sound. I have the same type of sound card, and my speakers are
    using digital sound through the subwoofer. Having a senior moment, do not
    remember how you manage to set it up one way or the other. Sorry. Most
    likely in the Control Panel someplace.

    Hope this helps,

    Paul

    "Quilljar"
    > that I cannot get the Creative Soundblaster Live card model No CT4780 to
    > work.

    We did this once before, but if it's not the same computer, check to see if
    the motherboard has on-board sound and gameport. WinME won't like 2 of
    them.

    Dallas

    The last time I updated my creative drivers (WinXP Pro) there was a feature on the creative site to interrogate my machine from
    their website and let the program determine what drivers were necessary from the scan.
    I'm not sure if it will work the same with Win ME but here is the procedure to get to the page in question and how to find the
    option depending on where you are in the world.
    Goto www.soundblaster.com
    Select Support from the menu in the page.
    Pick your location in the 'Creative Worldwide' menu that appears which will expand as you select options then select the 'go'
    button to the lower right of this.
    You should now be on the downloads page and a couple of paragraphs down in the centre you will see the AutoUpdate text link in
    blue so select it.
    Accept on next page.
    When the dialogue box appears requesting to run "Creative Software AutoUpdate" select 'yes'.
    If other dialogue boxes appear during this process then select 'yes' to install them.
    It should then tell you what you have installed in the machine. If it does select the 'Check Update' button.
    Then look for the download for Drivers only in the available downloads page it displays. Should be pretty self explanatory from
    there but see note below.
    After the update, you will most probably need to reset your machine to complete the update.

    Note: that there is a lot of add-on software it may recommend depending on the operating system and what that particular card will
    support but just ignore those. They aren't needed.. just look for the driver package it recommends. Also, if you have a firewall
    active, deactivate it for this procedure.
    If you have no joy there then there are various newsgroups you can try using 'creative' and 'products' keywords.

    Quilljar wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    > This is not OT. I have my grandson age 13 coming to stay in a couple of
    > days. I have built him a dedicated FS2004 computer from parts I have been
    > given. I have upgraded it to Windows ME ( Don't ask). All is well, except
    > that I cannot get the Creative Soundblaster Live card model No CT4780 to
    > work. I have installed the correct driver from the CD and looked on the
    > Creative site for help and an upgrade with no luck. Neither the sound, nor,
    > of course, the game port MS FF sidewinder joystick, will work. I have the
    > correct driver and CD for that too. I have taken the card out and put it
    > into a different slot, but no joy. Any suggestions or help would be welcome
    > as I do want my grandson to have a good experience here, as his parents are
    > divorcing and well.....
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Quilljar
    > see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
    > Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

    Could be it is trying to use an IRQ something else is using. That's
    what I liked about Creative they were usable at different address'. In
    XP it's under device manager/view/recourses by connection.

    Just a thought
    Mike

    Paul Riley wrote:
    > "Pete" <piperwarrior5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did the drivers install correctly?
    >>Does the sound card show up in Control Panel\System\ Device Manager?
    >>Is there a conflict showing ? (Again Control Panel\System\ Device
    >>Manager)
    >>Check here for a more compatable driver.... http://www.driverguide.com/
    >>Lastly... Have you put the speaker cable in the right jack socket? (I'm
    >>asking this 'cos once I was tearing my hair out and that was all the
    >>problem was !
    >>Hope this helps...
    >>
    >>Pete
    >>

    > Something else that has bit me in the past. Is the sound output digital (if
    > going to digital speaker system). OR, if going to non digital speakers, is
    > it analog sound. I have the same type of sound card, and my speakers are
    > using digital sound through the subwoofer. Having a senior moment, do not
    > remember how you manage to set it up one way or the other. Sorry. Most
    > likely in the Control Panel someplace.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Paul

    Creative Live came with a lot of programs. Creative Diagnostics was one
    of them. Find and run that. Paul jogged my memory on this. Last fall
    I put in a Creative Live card to find no sound. After running the
    diagnostics program and finding the card was ok I found it was looking
    for the wrong speaker setup. My speakers are 4.0, there is about four
    different versions of speakers Live sees. Pick the right one it should
    work.

    Mike

    I am overwhelmed by the number of excellent suggestions, and am delighted to
    report that I tried most of them and this morning it worked! I think it must
    have been a combination of using the wrong plug connection (the motherboard
    one) and not having installed all the right drivers. I had forgotten all I
    ever knew about ME and how hard you have to work to get the right things
    going. This morning, I discovered a CD with what seemed to have been the
    audio driver which I had overlooked. I am so relieved and pleased. Thanks
    everyone for your time and support. This is the only NG that gets things
    done.

    Don't ever try alt.windows.XP or whatever, all nasty trolls and bad
    languaage!

    Many thanks,

    Quilljar
    see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
    Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

    >This is not OT. I have my grandson age 13 coming to stay in a couple of
    >days. I have built him a dedicated FS2004 computer from parts I have been
    >given. I have upgraded it to Windows ME ( Don't ask). All is well, except
    >that I cannot get the Creative Soundblaster Live card model No CT4780 to
    >work. I have installed the correct driver from the CD and looked on the
    >Creative site for help and an upgrade with no luck. Neither the sound, nor,
    >of course, the game port MS FF sidewinder joystick, will work. I have the
    >correct driver and CD for that too. I have taken the card out and put it
    >into a different slot, but no joy. Any suggestions or help would be welcome
    >as I do want my grandson to have a good experience here, as his parents are
    >divorcing and well.....

    I suppose that the sound card is recognized by the OS? Do you see any
    question or exclamation mark in the device manager (control pane)? The
    card may just be toast...

    Live! drivers for Me are here BTW:
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?Product_ID=4857&Product_Name=Live%21&OSName=Windows+Millennium&OS=4&DriverType=1&details=1

    ===