XP Pro SP2 and Intenet Explorer 6

September 2, 2004 1:39:26 PM

To those who may be able to help

After installing SP2, all of the profiles on my PC have the same
problem when accessing IE from the start menu - it doesn't start and
instead opens the OPEN WITH dialog box. If I then select Internet
Explorer (I can't select Always use this program...) from the list it
opens up Explorer in the C:\Documents and Settings\<User Profile>
directory.

I have selected CANCEL for this option as well and then get a message
THE ITEM YOU HAVE SELECTED IS UNAVAILABLE. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MOVED,
RENAMED OR REMOVED. DO YOU WISH TO REMOVE IT FROM THE LIST? YES/NO.

I have tried removing and readding to the Start menu but this did
nothing - the IE icon still has that bloody unassociated Windows
program graphic.

I've done a Google search for help with my problem but after over an
hour of looking I decided to just ask as I couldn't see any problems
similar to mine.

The thing is I like having IE on the start menu. Can anybody offer
some relief to this pain?

Thanks

Anthony
(blatantly obvious comment: remove SPAM to reply by email)
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 1:39:27 PM

Try Ctrl_Alt_Delete tabs @ the same time,this opens task mgr.,then
select,new task,type:cmd In cmd type:Sfc /Scannow When the graph
starts,insert xp cd,exit the info window.When the graph is thru,type:
CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:EXIT Reastart computer and
remove cd.Also,run the DOS window in Min.,sometimes the graph runs
behind it.

"Anthony Brain" wrote:

> To those who may be able to help
>
> After installing SP2, all of the profiles on my PC have the same
> problem when accessing IE from the start menu - it doesn't start and
> instead opens the OPEN WITH dialog box. If I then select Internet
> Explorer (I can't select Always use this program...) from the list it
> opens up Explorer in the C:\Documents and Settings\<User Profile>
> directory.
>
> I have selected CANCEL for this option as well and then get a message
> THE ITEM YOU HAVE SELECTED IS UNAVAILABLE. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MOVED,
> RENAMED OR REMOVED. DO YOU WISH TO REMOVE IT FROM THE LIST? YES/NO.
>
> I have tried removing and readding to the Start menu but this did
> nothing - the IE icon still has that bloody unassociated Windows
> program graphic.
>
> I've done a Google search for help with my problem but after over an
> hour of looking I decided to just ask as I couldn't see any problems
> similar to mine.
>
> The thing is I like having IE on the start menu. Can anybody offer
> some relief to this pain?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anthony
> (blatantly obvious comment: remove SPAM to reply by email)

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:36:11 PM

Andrew,

Tried your suggestion and unfortunately there is no difference. Still
the same problem.

Also, I have just noticed that the Administrative Tools folder is now
empty where as before the SP2 install it contained numerous icons.

Considering uninstalling SP2 to see if that returns everything to
'normal' again.

Cheers

Anthony

Some dude calling himself, Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:

> Try Ctrl_Alt_Delete tabs @ the same time,this opens task mgr.,then
> select,new task,type:cmd In cmd type:Sfc /Scannow When the graph
> starts,insert xp cd,exit the info window.When the graph is thru,type:
> CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:EXIT Reastart computer and
> remove cd.Also,run the DOS window in Min.,sometimes the graph runs
> behind it.
>

>"Anthony Brain" wrote:
>
>> To those who may be able to help
>>
>> After installing SP2, all of the profiles on my PC have the same
>> problem when accessing IE from the start menu - it doesn't start and
>> instead opens the OPEN WITH dialog box. If I then select Internet
>> Explorer (I can't select Always use this program...) from the list it
>> opens up Explorer in the C:\Documents and Settings\<User Profile>
>> directory.
>>
>> I have selected CANCEL for this option as well and then get a message
>> THE ITEM YOU HAVE SELECTED IS UNAVAILABLE. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MOVED,
>> RENAMED OR REMOVED. DO YOU WISH TO REMOVE IT FROM THE LIST? YES/NO.
>>
>> I have tried removing and readding to the Start menu but this did
>> nothing - the IE icon still has that bloody unassociated Windows
>> program graphic.
>>
>> I've done a Google search for help with my problem but after over an
>> hour of looking I decided to just ask as I couldn't see any problems
>> similar to mine.
>>
>> The thing is I like having IE on the start menu. Can anybody offer
>> some relief to this pain?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Anthony
>> (blatantly obvious comment: remove SPAM to reply by email)

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 9:04:41 PM

And now to slightly pull my foot out of my mouth, I was logged on as
the wrong user in regards to the Administrative Tools. Oops.

They are fine when I log on as the admin user.

Cheers

Anthony

Some dude calling himself, Anthony B <SPAManthonybSPAM@exemail.com.au>

!