Landclass - No Difference?

I have installed the free beta landclass from fsgenesis, however I
notice no difference. I am wondering if I am installing it correctly,
when it asks me the path, it is blank, so i manually select c:\program
files\microsoft games\Flight Simulator 9\ ...is this correct path to
install it?

any suggestions?

thanks,
Nickolas

Hi Nicholas
I'm not familiar with that particular file but a landclass I put in was
merely one .bgl file which I dragged into a mesh file for the same area so
all .bgl's were together then went into scenic library and entered the one
folder as usual. It works. So should be in a folder in Add on scenery and
entered as usual. Perhaps FS9/named/folder/scenery/(.bgl)

Don

<nickolas80@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have installed the free beta landclass from fsgenesis, however I
> notice no difference. I am wondering if I am installing it correctly,
> when it asks me the path, it is blank, so i manually select c:\program
> files\microsoft games\Flight Simulator 9\ ...is this correct path to
> install it?
>
> any suggestions?
>
> thanks,
> Nickolas

should read FS9/named folder/scenery/(.bgl)

"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Nicholas
> I'm not familiar with that particular file but a landclass I put in was
> merely one .bgl file which I dragged into a mesh file for the same area so
> all .bgl's were together then went into scenic library and entered the one
> folder as usual. It works. So should be in a folder in Add on scenery and
> entered as usual. Perhaps FS9/named/folder/scenery/(.bgl)
>
> Don
>

> <nickolas80@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have installed the free beta landclass from fsgenesis, however I
>> notice no difference. I am wondering if I am installing it correctly,
>> when it asks me the path, it is blank, so i manually select c:\program
>> files\microsoft games\Flight Simulator 9\ ...is this correct path to
>> install it?
>>
>> any suggestions?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Nickolas

Try this:

1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery

2. Create a subfolder within "Addon Scenery" called "US landclass."
Open the "US landclass" folder and within that folder create a second
subfolder called "scenery."

3. Drag the file you downloaded (probably fsglc_us.bgl) into that new
"scenery" folder.

4. Fire up Flight Simulator, go to the scenery library, and add an
item. You'll want to select the "US landclass" folder you created, not
the "scenery" subfolder. Don't cache, use scenery directly.

5. Quit FS and reload. It should be working now.

6. It's important that you NOT create a "texture" subfolder under "US
landclass." With landclass files, this will create a memory leak.

Notice that the folders "US landclass" and "scenery" had to be created
first

Ignore that last line, "Notice that the folders "US landclass" and
"scenery" had to be created first." -- That was left-over from my first
set of instructions, which I decided were too sloppy.

Trip Lane's answered this in another thread today. I haven't noticed a
tremendous performance hit when I did cache (in my benighted days), but
if you've already got the scenery on your hard disk, having another
copy in the cache folder is not going to help -- unless perhaps you
have the cache on another physical disk, in which case your machine can
perhaps multitask more efficiently. Cf. MegaScenery users who report
better performance when they put the scenery on a second drive.

MS added the "cache to disk" option so that users could do a partial
install of FS, leaving the scenery on the distribution CDs. Reading
scenery from CD is very slow. To make FS useable in this mode, they
allow one to cache scenery once read from the CD to disk, so following
reads are fast(er). As has been pointed out, there is no performance
benefit in caching disk-resident scenery.

/Chris T

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> MegaScenery users who report better performance when they put the
>> scenery on a second drive.
>
> I'm going to see if I can free up enough space on my second drive
> (currently just used for storage) so that I can install my
> MegaScenery PNW onto it. Thanks again!
>
> - --
> Melissa

Hi Melissa

Don't forget to add a paging file to that disk as well (as per MegaScenery
recommendation!)

Chris