How do I print on 2 sides with XP & HP720C?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
December 30, 2004 3:05:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

How do I print on 2 sides with XP & HP720C?

In Win98 I can use the HP driver but is not compatible with XP.
XP has it's own driver and there does not appear to be a 2 side
printing option.

Some progs will allow odd and even pages but this does not work in
Internet Explorer.

Any help appreciated.

David

More about : print sides hp720c

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 30, 2004 3:05:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <7dr7t0ts3se1l3q1i36cuar2v4st5ap7qk@4ax.com>,
NOSPAM@easily.co.uk says...
> How do I print on 2 sides with XP & HP720C?
>
> In Win98 I can use the HP driver but is not compatible with XP.
> XP has it's own driver and there does not appear to be a 2 side
> printing option.
>
> Some progs will allow odd and even pages but this does not work in
> Internet Explorer.
>
> Any help appreciated.

There might be 3rd party programs, but it's probably cheaper to dump
the printer and buy a new one. The printer was out of production by the
time Win2K came out, much less XP. Worse, it's a host-based printer
which has a unique language not shared with other HP printers.

You can try and see if the NT4 drivers will work, but I doubt it.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 30, 2004 7:31:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:33:46 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <7dr7t0ts3se1l3q1i36cuar2v4st5ap7qk@4ax.com>,
>NOSPAM@easily.co.uk says...
>> How do I print on 2 sides with XP & HP720C?
>>
>> In Win98 I can use the HP driver but is not compatible with XP.
>> XP has it's own driver and there does not appear to be a 2 side
>> printing option.
>>
>> Some progs will allow odd and even pages but this does not work in
>> Internet Explorer.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> There might be 3rd party programs, but it's probably cheaper to dump
>the printer and buy a new one. The printer was out of production by the
>time Win2K came out, much less XP. Worse, it's a host-based printer
>which has a unique language not shared with other HP printers.
>
> You can try and see if the NT4 drivers will work, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the comments, I guess you're right.

I expect electronic equipment (including printers) to last a long time
and not be considered 'throw away' :-)

David
a b α HP
December 31, 2004 8:10:48 AM

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
> In article <7dr7t0ts3se1l3q1i36cuar2v4st5ap7qk@4ax.com>,
> NOSPAM@easily.co.uk says...
>> How do I print on 2 sides with XP & HP720C?
>>
>> In Win98 I can use the HP driver but is not compatible with XP.
>> XP has it's own driver and there does not appear to be a 2 side
>> printing option.
>>
>> Some progs will allow odd and even pages but this does not work in
>> Internet Explorer.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> There might be 3rd party programs, but it's probably cheaper to dump
> the printer and buy a new one. The printer was out of production by
> the time Win2K came out, much less XP. Worse, it's a host-based
> printer which has a unique language not shared with other HP printers.
>
> You can try and see if the NT4 drivers will work, but I doubt it.

I can tell you categorically that NT4 drivers will *NOT* run under XP. If
there are no 2000 drivers (and there aren't) then it's the native drivers or
nothing. The native drivers are enough to get the unit printing, but no
more. They do not support any advanced features (such as duplex).

There are now two options: -

Purchase FinePrint (www.fineprint.com) to restore the duplex feature (though
it won't be automatic)
Ditch the unit and purchase something that was manufactured in the 21st
century (my preferred option)

on salads.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 31, 2004 8:18:58 AM

NOSPAM@easily.co.uk wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:33:46 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
> <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <7dr7t0ts3se1l3q1i36cuar2v4st5ap7qk@4ax.com>,
>> NOSPAM@easily.co.uk says...
>>> How do I print on 2 sides with XP & HP720C?
>>>
>>> In Win98 I can use the HP driver but is not compatible with XP.
>>> XP has it's own driver and there does not appear to be a 2 side
>>> printing option.
>>>
>>> Some progs will allow odd and even pages but this does not work in
>>> Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> There might be 3rd party programs, but it's probably cheaper to dump
>> the printer and buy a new one. The printer was out of production by
>> the time Win2K came out, much less XP. Worse, it's a host-based
>> printer which has a unique language not shared with other HP
>> printers.
>>
>> You can try and see if the NT4 drivers will work, but I doubt it.
>
> Thanks for the comments, I guess you're right.
>
> I expect electronic equipment (including printers) to last a long time
> and not be considered 'throw away' :-)
>
> David

And what planet are you from?! Do you really think that it makes good
business sense for HP to continue to support every printer they've ever
manufactured? Wake up and smell the java!

There is a driver here http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/49/49422.htm
which may work (though I ditched my 720C long since so I wouldn't know). You
could have found it too, had you bothered to Google, but if there is one
thing that I've come to realise from these groups is that people are too
damned lazy to wipe their own arses and expect someone else to do it for
them.

on salads.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 31, 2004 2:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:18:58 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>NOSPAM@easily.co.uk wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:33:46 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
>> <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <7dr7t0ts3se1l3q1i36cuar2v4st5ap7qk@4ax.com>,
>>> NOSPAM@easily.co.uk says...

>>> There might be 3rd party programs, but it's probably cheaper to dump
>>> the printer and buy a new one. The printer was out of production by
>>> the time Win2K came out, much less XP. Worse, it's a host-based
>>> printer which has a unique language not shared with other HP
>>> printers.
>>>
>>> You can try and see if the NT4 drivers will work, but I doubt it.
>>
>> Thanks for the comments, I guess you're right.
>>
>> I expect electronic equipment (including printers) to last a long time
>> and not be considered 'throw away' :-)
>>
>> David
>

>And what planet are you from?! Do you really think that it makes good
>business sense for HP to continue to support every printer they've ever
>manufactured? Wake up and smell the java!

If UK sold goods at US prices it would help. Mostly we pay 50% more
for everything.

>There is a driver here http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/49/49422.htm
>which may work (though I ditched my 720C long since so I wouldn't know). You
>could have found it too, had you bothered to Google, but if there is one
>thing that I've come to realise from these groups is that people are too
>damned lazy to wipe their own arses and expect someone else to do it for
>them.

A pitty you have to be so rude and wrong. I tried google but got
swamped so tried here.

Thanks for the reference.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 31, 2004 9:23:13 PM

NOSPAM@easily.co.uk wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:18:58 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
> <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
>
>> NOSPAM@easily.co.uk wrote:

>>> Thanks for the comments, I guess you're right.
>>>
>>> I expect electronic equipment (including printers) to last a long
>>> time and not be considered 'throw away' :-)
>>>
>>> David
>>

>> And what planet are you from?! Do you really think that it makes good
>> business sense for HP to continue to support every printer they've
>> ever manufactured? Wake up and smell the java!
>>

> If UK sold goods at US prices it would help. Mostly we pay 50% more
> for everything.

And where do you think I'm from?

>> There is a driver here
>> http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/49/49422.htm which may work
>> (though I ditched my 720C long since so I wouldn't know). You could
>> have found it too, had you bothered to Google, but if there is one
>> thing that I've come to realise from these groups is that people are
>> too damned lazy to wipe their own arses and expect someone else to
>> do it for them.
>
> A pitty you have to be so rude and wrong. I tried google but got
> swamped so tried here.
>
> Thanks for the reference.

You are a liar - you didn't Google at all - that was the first link in the
list!
on salads.
December 31, 2004 10:44:19 PM

Miss Persp...
You are So right ....
He could use fineprint tho www.fineprint.com
this does 2 sided printing as a driver
> NOSPAM@easily.co.uk wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:33:46 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
>> <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <7dr7t0ts3se1l3q1i36cuar2v4st5ap7qk@4ax.com>,
>>> NOSPAM@easily.co.uk says...

>>> There might be 3rd party programs, but it's probably cheaper to dump
>>> the printer and buy a new one. The printer was out of production by
>>> the time Win2K came out, much less XP. Worse, it's a host-based
>>> printer which has a unique language not shared with other HP
>>> printers.
>>>
>>> You can try and see if the NT4 drivers will work, but I doubt it.
>>
>> Thanks for the comments, I guess you're right.
>>
>> I expect electronic equipment (including printers) to last a long time
>> and not be considered 'throw away' :-)
>>
>> David
>

> And what planet are you from?! Do you really think that it makes good
> business sense for HP to continue to support every printer they've ever
> manufactured? Wake up and smell the java!
>
> There is a driver here
> http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/49/49422.htm which may work
> (though I ditched my 720C long since so I wouldn't know). You could have
> found it too, had you bothered to Google, but if there is one thing that
> I've come to realise from these groups is that people are too damned lazy
> to wipe their own arses and expect someone else to do it for them.
>
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 24, 2005 11:50:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

It makes good business sense for any business to support their products for a
reasonable time but in my experience HP don't.
In 1999 I bought my first CD burner from HP at a cost of AUD800 (~USD500). In 2000
I upgraded to Windows 2000 and the burner wouldn't work. The HP web site had driver
upgrades but they didn't work so after many hours wasted this expensive burner was
junked. Contacting HP service in Australia was a waste of time - no response to our
problem.
Result, no HP products in my office now or ever!

If anyone ever asks me about this HP product or that HP product I recommend that
they avoid them like the plague.
Canon is the go here, Canon scanner, Canon s9000 and 820 printers, Canon Rebel
digital camera etc. Can always get driver upgrades (if necessary) when upgrading
to a new version of Windows.
Epson doesn't rate either what with their chipped carts, warranty threats, scare
advertising (you *will* wreck your printer if you use generic carts or ink).

BTW, why do you have to be so rude?

Rescho

> NOSPAM@easily.co.uk wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:33:46 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
> > <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <7dr7t0ts3se1l3q1i36cuar2v4st5ap7qk@4ax.com>,
> >> NOSPAM@easily.co.uk says...

> >> There might be 3rd party programs, but it's probably cheaper to dump
> >> the printer and buy a new one. The printer was out of production by
> >> the time Win2K came out, much less XP. Worse, it's a host-based
> >> printer which has a unique language not shared with other HP
> >> printers.
> >>
> >> You can try and see if the NT4 drivers will work, but I doubt it.
> >
> > Thanks for the comments, I guess you're right.
> >
> > I expect electronic equipment (including printers) to last a long time
> > and not be considered 'throw away' :-)
> >
> > David
>

> And what planet are you from?! Do you really think that it makes good
> business sense for HP to continue to support every printer they've ever
> manufactured? Wake up and smell the java!
>
> There is a driver here http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/49/49422.htm
> which may work (though I ditched my 720C long since so I wouldn't know). You
> could have found it too, had you bothered to Google, but if there is one
> thing that I've come to realise from these groups is that people are too
> damned lazy to wipe their own arses and expect someone else to do it for
> them.
>
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 24, 2005 11:50:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I appeciate your comments and agree about support. I'm considering
changing this printer when my stock of cartridges runs out so will be
looking for a good printer! Looks like Canon might be in the running.

Despite the previous rude comments I still can't find any drivers to
give 2 sided printing. The drivers suggested were no different to the
ones I already have installed.

David
!