X2 4200 on A8N32 SLI temperature

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
guys... i have my X2 4200 and A8n32 just for a couple of months... at first i got all the settings to default and run the A.I NOS feature cuz dun have time to tweak it yet. Only now i realize something's fishy... either at load or idle... the temp sticks at 44. and it's not moving at all in the bios's hardwaer monitor. tried updating the bios but no effect. changed the stock thermal compund with AS5 also gives me no result. can anyone here who also has A8N32 tell me how's their CPU goin..? could it be the thermal sensor's breaking or it is just the mobo...?

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
that's because the ai booster software that comes with the mobo is defective, delete it and if u need to tweak anything, do it from the bios. had a very similar problem with my mobo

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
i didnt get any software or asus utilities installed in.. i do all tweaking from the bios and got the reading of my temp from there as well.... :?

UPDATE: i've changed the cooler to Zalman CNPS9500... still gives me the same result... and now it goes u to 55 during prime65!!!! helppp!!!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
What PC case you using?

Are you getting good airflow?

How much AS5 did you use, and did you use your finger to apply it with?

That Zalman should be an exellent HSF for cooling. I know it's a big chunk of copper.. heh, but man... something up with it.

I'm guessing the sensors are fine.

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
yeah.. tried resetting the BIOS... i am using Cooler Master Centurion 5 with one Silenx 80mm infront (intake) and one other 120mm at the back (exhaust). at first i am suspectiong my case airflow is not good enough... so i tried removing the side panel and leave it open... still no signs of dropping.

about the AS5, i applied very thin layer only.. just as instructed i the websites and reccomended by many in the forums...

:cry:

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
installation was no sweat... pretty easy and straightforward for 939... just that u have to put the backplate on 775.... but man.. im getting crazy over the temppppp :cry:

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
the peak load my processor has wnet to is 45*c but my hsf wasn't attached right or something beacause after repostioning it it now doesn't go above 40 in a hot room hell if i leave a window open and have fresh air circulating it usually sticks in the 30's. with window open mine idles at sub30 sometimes.

well... gues i'll just try replacing and reapplying my hsf / AS5 again... and see how it goes.... pray for me... haha, thx for all the responses guys :wink:

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I dont know for sure, but it sounds kind of normal to me. My 4400 doesnt vary much in temperature either. And it is normal for it to rise to 55 w/out watercooling while running prime 95...

Ai booster does suck though. Actually I switched my A8N-SLI Premium out for an EVGA board. Better and more options in the BIOS.

My Asus board seemed to hang a lot on me. Could be software related, but I havent had that problem with my other boards...

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
what case do you have and what sort of ventilation does your room have. seems odd that your max is 10-15*C higher than mine.

It's a Cooler Master Centurion 5, with one SilenX 80mm (intake) at teh front, and one SilenX 120mm (exhaust) at the back. my room temp is around 20 - 25 C. at first i thought that my case is a bit too cramped... so i tried to leave the side panel open.. but still no change in the CPU temp......

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The only idea I have left is to point a big fan at the side of the case, just to see if the temp drops.

That is only to test the sensor to get a reaction. If the reading still sticks, then I would assume faulty sensor.

Is your MB still RMA-able?

Also.. how are the vcore voltage looking?

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
The only idea I have left is to point a big fan at the side of the case, just to see if the temp drops.
That is only to test the sensor to get a reaction. If the reading still sticks, then I would assume faulty sensor.
is your MB still RMA-able?
Also.. how are the vcore voltage looking?

at the time im writing this.. the Vcore is 1.39. i think my mobo is still RMA - able.. but will i able to return it... only cuz my CPU temp is too high?

mpjesse

Splendid
STOP.

There's nothing wrong w/ those temps. Your idle is a little above normal- but nothing to be worred about. The maximum thermal limit of an Athlon 64 is well over 80C. You're nowhere near that.

My 4200+ idles at 39C and gets up to 59C under full dual core load. That's completely normal.

Relax. Don't go buy some ridiculous aftermarket solution and don't listen to have the yahoos around here who tell you 44C is high.

-mpjesse

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
STOP.

There's nothing wrong w/ those temps. Your idle is a little above normal- but nothing to be worred about. The maximum thermal limit of an Athlon 64 is well over 80C. You're nowhere near that.

My 4200+ idles at 39C and gets up to 59C under full dual core load. That's completely normal.

Relax. Don't go buy some ridiculous aftermarket solution and don't listen to have the yahoos around here who tell you 44C is high.

-mpjesse

but the thing is.. i am currently using Zalman CNPS9500. even my previously oc'd athlon 64 3000 didnt get that hot during idle... don't u think something is wrong...? cuz i also plan to oc the 4200 as well.. tt's y im a bit worried...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Did you try pointing a fan at the side off? That should really make the temp drop below 44C. I also asked if his vcore was okay, which I guess isn't faulty. :lol:

If most people can get 39-38C on stock idle, surely, he should get around 32-34C idle with that big piece of copper.

If he wasn't planning on OC, I don't think he needs to be worried about temps. But if he is, then I think any OC would wonder about his/her temp on the core at certain times.

If having a temp sensor thats faulty is normal, then I don't know why he spent 60 bucks on the Zalman HSF.

I guess it is a piece of artwork.. should be able to see it from the side of the case. And during X-mas, he could decorate it like a tree. :D

Athough, it would be a really big bummer if he did RMA it, and had the same problem.

Say HisoKa, do you have background program running? Is your CPU load 0-2 percent when you leave it at idle?

That would be the only other thing I can think of, perhaps anti-virus, antispamware, ect, if it sticks at 44C.

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
yes.. it's ard 0 - 2 % during idle... Vcore 1.39.. and no background program or whatsoever.. well.. my computer runs without problem at stock speed with that kind of temp... the thing is i wanna squeeze abit more out of it.. so im planning on oc... that's y the temp comes into my concern... and it even crashes when i increase my fsb a mere 5mhz... like it keeps restarting as soon as it goes inside windows...

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
ahaha, i don't mind with anything they said tho ^^ yes strangestranger, i am monitoring both from the BIOS and the PCProbe as well.. and i think the PC probe also got its reading thru the BIOS tt is smth called the ACPI if im not wrong... but yea... it could be that i've done some mistake or overlooked some small stuff till the temp goes up... i appreciate all the replies in this topic ^^ thx alott

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I hope I wasn't sounding like an ass..

I do think he should get 3-5C min (Idle) difference with that HSF.

I believe he should do the proper troubleshooting to really determine if it is a fautly temp sensor. I only assumed it was faulty, if he says it stays at 44C. It also could mean.. the polling is just really slow.. not that the senor is bad.

It would be really bad to RMA the MB to find the same temps, on the replacement board.

But it would be really nice, to help this guy figure out what we can to get better temp readings.

And I'm not from the new generation, nor do I need to use the language that pretty much shows that quality.

HisoKa, when you ran Prime95, you did say it got to 55C. Did it go back down to 44C? To me, if it did, it might be working just fine. But it should go below 44C when you have a big, lets say, 24" fan blowing on high, with room temp air on it. If it doesn't budge, then that is my assumption its faulty.

And.. when you ran Prime95, was it running on both cores or just one?
<please say you did it on both at the same time :lol:>

Dunno if MM5 can support it, but have you tried another windows monitor app?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well.. tell me. What is one thing that does matter when overclocking?

Especially, if it was.. a Prescott? (in this case it isn't, but trying to prove one point)

After seeing my P4 2.66 hit 63-65C OC to 3ghz I pretty much knew, I didn't want to run my CPU at that speed with stock HSF.

Now.. if I didn't know, it was running at 63+C, and OC it anyways, and saw a temp of 44C because of a faulty sensor...

You can imagine I would have problems later on.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr.. I wasn't talking about physical tempatures, or exact temps.

I was talking about OC'ing, and taking considerations to what the sensors are telling me or the person observing it.

I know for a fact, I couldn't tell you exactly how cold or hot something is by touching it, or going into a room.. but say.. its warm, or cool, chilly, hot.. humid.

But I know if the temp ouside is 105F degrees from a weather channel or thermometer, I shouldn't wear a coat.

I do trust to a point of what a MB sensor says thats going on. Or GPU temps. I recently changed my stock hsf to zalmans hsf. And I pretty much saw the difference. Now I can't say it is exactly right, but I know there is a temp difference, and worth the investment in protecting my GPU from heat.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
LOL okay... wusy. I'll leave him alone, though I don't recall, provoking him to do.. anything.

Ya... we dont need sinking sensors. It's all over rated.

But did you know, AMD is more cost effective power and heat wise?

You prolly do.

Hmmm, you think those sensors told them anything?

Naaa... their not accuate enough.. I'll let it be at that.