Sign in with
Your question

Help decide Mobo please

Last response: in Motherboards
March 13, 2006 12:50:42 AM

Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI Socket 939 or ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard. I can't decide Gigabyte GA-K8N has no AGP socket. ASRock 939Dual has one of each AGP and PCI-E. Gigabyte GA-K8N is $99 and ASRock 939Dual is $69. Could anyone help me decide or is there a better choice. I'm getting a AMD 3700+ and a sapphire radeon x800GTO2 to go with it. And can anyone suggest the minimum PSU.

More about : decide mobo

March 13, 2006 12:43:24 PM

If you're getting an ATI card then don't get an SLI mobo - SLI is nVidia specific tech. Take a look at the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9. Inexpensive, quiet and stable board.
March 13, 2006 1:02:52 PM

Quote:
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI Socket 939 or ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard. I can't decide Gigabyte GA-K8N has no AGP socket. ASRock 939Dual has one of each AGP and PCI-E. Gigabyte GA-K8N is $99 and ASRock 939Dual is $69. Could anyone help me decide or is there a better choice. I'm getting a AMD 3700+ and a sapphire radeon x800GTO2 to go with it. And can anyone suggest the minimum PSU.

The ASrock will serve you very well, especially for the price. A 350w PSU will be sufficient; nothing on that list takes up much power at all. BTW, are you going to overclock?
Related resources
March 13, 2006 1:42:44 PM

This is the GA-K8NF-9 that I was talking about. No wasted space for an AGp slot, $7 more than the Asrock and from a better mfr IMHO.
March 13, 2006 2:10:34 PM

Quote:
This is the GA-K8NF-9 that I was talking about. No wasted space for an AGp slot, $7 more than the Asrock and from a better mfr IMHO.

Asus versus gigabyte? don't be silly =) (asrock is just a cheap asus brand)
March 13, 2006 2:37:55 PM

what do you mean? you can get an sli board and use an ati card... You just cant do sli or xfire w/ it. I have an asus a8nsli premium w/ an x1900xt and runs great. I did that for a few reasons:

1- nforce chipsets are rock solid stable, better/more mature than any other amd chipset

2- did not want sli, but wanted the extra slots in case of future pci-e upgrades. Also wanted the fanless cooling on that mobo (wont buy any other mobo than asus... just my thing)

3- MaximumPC has shown that ati actually runs faster on nforce mobos than their own chipsets w/ single card! (just slight diff though)

Of course, you are right in that there is no reason for him to spend the $ there if he doesn't have to, and based on the asrock choice he should look at that comparable gigabyte mobo.

I would go w/ the asrock... but i just like asus over any others.
March 13, 2006 2:39:50 PM

Quote:
what do you mean? you can get an sli board and use an ati card... You just cant do sli or xfire w/ it. I have an asus a8nsli premium w/ an x1900xt and runs great. I did that for a few reasons:

1- nforce chipsets are rock solid stable, better/more mature than any other amd chipset

2- did not want sli, but wanted the extra slots in case of future pci-e upgrades. Also wanted the fanless cooling on that mobo (wont buy any other mobo than asus... just my thing)

3- MaximumPC has shown that ati actually runs faster on nforce mobos than their own chipsets w/ single card! (just slight diff though)

Of course, you are right in that there is no reason for him to spend the $ there if he doesn't have to, and based on the asrock choice he should look at that comparable gigabyte mobo.

I would go w/ the asrock... but i just like asus over any others.

asus is asrock...
chipset performance compared between different video cards is so slight its impossible to tell in game FPS without FRAPS...
March 13, 2006 2:47:05 PM

Quote:

asus is asrock...

that is why i said to go w/ asrock. I said the reason was that I liked asus... which was meant to imply that I liked asrock.

and I also said that the perf diff was slight... I just had it among the other reasons b/c it was a (albeit small) factor.
March 14, 2006 6:34:01 PM

Quote:
Asus versus gigabyte? don't be silly =) (asrock is just a cheap asus brand)

They may be made by the same company, but an Asrock board is not the same as an Asus. If it were, then it would be labeled and priced like an Asus. As a company, Ford produces both the Jaguar XKR and the Ford Focus - which do you think is higher quality and more expensive?
March 14, 2006 6:35:18 PM

yes, but the manufacturing is really just the same. It's like comparing a Pentium 4 to a Celeron...Celeron's just didn't make the highest cut =)
March 14, 2006 6:42:33 PM

Quote:
Celeron's just didn't make the highest cut

Bad analogy. There are a lot more components where a mfr can cut costs on a mobo. I'm not saying that Asrock is bad. Just don't expect the same quality from an Asrock that you expect from an Asus - they have a different name and price for a reason.
March 14, 2006 6:45:01 PM

that's my point. its a different manufacturing process im sure, but i highly doubt the quality control would deviate far from ASUS.
March 14, 2006 7:08:32 PM

Quote:
that's my point. its a different manufacturing process im sure, but i highly doubt the quality control would deviate far from ASUS.

I'm not saying what you're saying. I'm saying the Asrock boards will be manufactured with lower quality components and the boards will have less strict QA imposed during/after the mfr process. You are saying they will basically be of the same quality/reliability as an Asus board. I would say those statements are mutually exclusive.
March 14, 2006 8:29:18 PM

First off, if your buying a new processor, motherboard and VIDEO card, why are you even worried about an AGP slot? You cannot use and AGP and PCI-E for SLI. Are you planning on running some kind of dual card setup for TV-Tuner????
March 14, 2006 11:53:30 PM

no your right. I will go with PCI-E. I've Used all your guys helpful tips. As I said before I have about $800 to spend. I've decided to go with a REFURBISHED: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard, a eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT CO SE 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card and a AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor. So what do you think?
March 15, 2006 12:23:36 AM

Don't get a refurb mobo/video card. that's setting yourself up for disaster.
March 15, 2006 1:10:29 PM

instead of the refurb you could get the non-premium sli from asus and be same perf. w/ new stuff. Or get the non-sli one and save more if you dont plan on getting another vid-card. The refurb just doesn't come w/ cables or any of the essential things to get going, so you end up spending more to get the same.
March 15, 2006 5:38:41 PM

Thank you that makes scense. I do want another video card, but not now. I think I'll go with a SLI board,not refurbished. Thanks for all your help.
March 15, 2006 5:50:35 PM

SLi is a waste of money :o 
March 15, 2006 7:04:04 PM

I completely agree with you on that. It's only for those that:
1. Have unlimited budgets and
2. Must game at the highest resolutions with all the eye candy on.
!