Is it better to have 2gb of value ram or 1gb of good ram?

00maxse

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I have 1gb of corsair value select ram and my comp seems to run really well. I want to get another stick of it, but they don't seem to have any CAS 2.5 like I have in my system now. I've only seen CAS 3. So, would I be better off getting some of Corsair's higher end ram like the XMS for instance or should I just get some more value ram even if the latency doesnt' match what I have now.

Will I notice a difference in games like FEAR and Doom3, with better ram?

Thanks for your help. :D

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have 1gb of corsair value select ram and my comp seems to run really well. I want to get another stick of it, but they don't seem to have any CAS 2.5 like I have in my system now. I've only seen CAS 3. So, would I be better off getting some of Corsair's higher end ram like the XMS for instance or should I just get some more value ram even if the latency doesnt' match what I have now.

Since you already have an x850XT (great card BTW), the 2GB of Memory would decrease the amount of stuttering in games (especially FEAR). It might not necessarily give you more frames, but things will be more smoother. Don't worry about the CAS being 3 instead of 2.5, there is <.01% difference in performance on an A64 platform.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I Agree With MadModMike ( Like Always :D )
Stick With Your Corsair , Get Another 1Gb and You WILL See Lots of Difference In Your Games :twisted:

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
2 Gb of value ram is good compare to 1 Gb of high performance ram for gaming and multitasking as well.

Yeah I have them Value Select ram from Corsair in one of my pc and works great. :D

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005

Since you already have an x850XT (great card BTW), the 2GB of Memory would decrease the amount of stuttering in games (especially FEAR). It might not necessarily give you more frames, but things will be more smoother. Don't worry about the CAS being 3 instead of 2.5, there is <.01% difference in performance on an A64 platform.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

sorry to complain, but on a sidenote it seems that every thread i've been to today, at least one person makes this same grammatical mistake! it's starting to get on my nerve. you're probably going to flame me now,.. but just think - wouldn't you much rather be elsewhere flaming intel fanboys right now?