Good area to build new comp

ZackInTheBox

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
So I'm going to build my computer and im wondering what will be the best place to do it where there will be no static. I bought an anti-static wristband (i think im stupid) and I plan on doing it in my kitchen where there is linoleum and my wooden cutting board is where i will do the motherboard work. Is this good? I really dont want to fry anything from my 2k system :)

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
So I'm going to build my computer and im wondering what will be the best place to do it where there will be no static. I bought an anti-static wristband (i think im stupid) and I plan on doing it in my kitchen where there is linoleum and my wooden cutting board is where i will do the motherboard work. Is this good? I really dont want to fry anything from my 2k system :)

Your kitchen is the best place, but I've built tons of systems over carpet and even some ON carpet (I was lazy), I never worry about ESD and I don't think you should.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

loveamd

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
You might also want to go to your local hardware store like SEARS and pick up 4 or 5 tool box mats. Those are those thick black 'rubber' inserts that sit in the bottom of each tool chest shelf. Those work great for keeping static down, keeping things from sliding off the table and keeping your table from getting scratched. Might also be called Tool Cabinet Liner. They are like 49 cents a piece.