pc reboots and doesn't boot anymore

bjut

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
hello guys!

sori if this post is out of place. i really don't know which particular component is wrong so i'm posting my problem here. anyway my system is:

Athlon64 3000+
ECS A939 nForce4
GEIL 512 PC400 DDR
Inno3D FX6600 256MB DVI (PCI-E)
Seagate 20gb
PCI Modem
P4 Dynamo 400W PSU

So what happened before was that the PC would suddenly reboot from time to time. I fixed this problem by checking the memory and replacing it. I used a cheap generic brand of memory that time and got fed up after it broke down twice so I got the new GEIL now. However, after putting in the GEIL mem, I was able to use the PC only once. After shutting down, it wouldn't boot up anymore. I tried removing the mem and putting it back again and it would boot up sometimes but it wouldn't boot again after turning it off. The lights would turn on, but no beeping sound can be heard and the monitor LED would be blinking continuously but that's it. What could be the problem?

Thanks for any advice!

BJ

hello guys!

sori if this post is out of place. i really don't know which particular component is wrong so i'm posting my problem here. anyway my system is:

Athlon64 3000+
ECS A939 nForce4
GEIL 512 PC400 DDR
Inno3D FX6600 256MB DVI (PCI-E)
Seagate 20gb
PCI Modem
P4 Dynamo 400W PSU

So what happened before was that the PC would suddenly reboot from time to time. I fixed this problem by checking the memory and replacing it. I used a cheap generic brand of memory that time and got fed up after it broke down twice so I got the new GEIL now. However, after putting in the GEIL mem, I was able to use the PC only once. After shutting down, it wouldn't boot up anymore. I tried removing the mem and putting it back again and it would boot up sometimes but it wouldn't boot again after turning it off. The lights would turn on, but no beeping sound can be heard and the monitor LED would be blinking continuously but that's it. What could be the problem?

Thanks for any advice!

BJ

lets see, elcheapo PSU and an ECS board with a SiS or VIA chipset no doubt - there are three things to check out

bjut

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
3 things? but that's only 2. hehe yup it might be the PSU or the mobo itself. so that narrows it down. i don't know how i could pinpoint which one is breaking down though since i don't have any other parts to swap it with. I'm planning to take it back to the shop while it's still under warranty. So any other theories?

Thanks again!

A new ATX12v PS will be the first thing the tech shop slaves into it, of that you can be sure....

power supplies are a common failure item, even when/if new.....

you might also jumping into your bios, and tweek DDR voltage from default 2.6 v to whatever your manufacturer (Geil) recommends for your module(s)..

2.7V is safe, and might boost your stability...

bjut

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
yup thanks a lot. will do. i don't know anything about mem voltage and stuff so that's something new i can try also. thanks. and is there a big difference with a 20pin and a 24 pin PSU in terms of stability? if so, then i really do need to buy a new PSU (thinking of ANTEC). hmmm. PCs are getting more and more sensitive to these things. i remember having a pentium 1 PC before and it never had these kinds of problems even if it used generic mems and an ordinary PSU from the casing.

thanks again!