Intermittent fault with Epson and XP ;o(

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could give me some advice please about some
printer woes I've been having recently...

I have an Epson ink jet printer that's about 18 months old (done a fair
bit of printing in it's life though!) and I'm running Windoze XP with
SP2. All has previously been working in harmony but for the past month
or so whilst printing I'm getting a (now dreaded!) "pop" sound and a
"this document failed to print" error message from my taskbar. The
printer pauses for a second then either spits out the rest of the page
unprinted and goes onto the next, or it resumes where the glitch
occurred repeating a few lines of what it was printing at the time
carrying on with the rest of the pages as normal.

This error occurs intermittently and I'm having to go back through what
I was printing and re-print the pages it didn't manage (it can be more
than one in a document) so I'm wasting time and paper and it's starting
to get really irritating!!

Any thoughts folks? Don't know whether this is hardware or software
based. Re-installed the printer but no help. I have the latest Epson
drivers and otherwise everthing is hunky-dory with my PC. Is this the
way printer's die??? Do I maybe new a new connector cable (looks fine
to me though!) or a new printer - hope not cos I've bulk bought my
ink!?! The printer hasn't been moved about or anything like that...
Thoughts / suggestions welcomed!
Thanks in advance,
L ;o)

You may not have adequate space in the printer spooler area of your hard
drive.

On most computers running XP, the spooler area is on the C: drive. It
can be moved, (I believe there is a MS Knowledge base article that
explains how to move it).

See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314105

You can also try to defrag your C: drive first and see if that fixes it,
but the problem is a lot of stuff tends to be loaded to the C: drive,
often including the virtual memory and that can crowd the available
space on the drive. Inkjet printer require fairly large print spooler
locations (and sometime only work with contiguous storage space)

Art

lindy1013@bigfoot.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering if someone could give me some advice please about some
> printer woes I've been having recently...
>
> I have an Epson ink jet printer that's about 18 months old (done a fair
> bit of printing in it's life though!) and I'm running Windoze XP with
> SP2. All has previously been working in harmony but for the past month
> or so whilst printing I'm getting a (now dreaded!) "pop" sound and a
> "this document failed to print" error message from my taskbar. The
> printer pauses for a second then either spits out the rest of the page
> unprinted and goes onto the next, or it resumes where the glitch
> occurred repeating a few lines of what it was printing at the time
> carrying on with the rest of the pages as normal.
>
> This error occurs intermittently and I'm having to go back through what
> I was printing and re-print the pages it didn't manage (it can be more
> than one in a document) so I'm wasting time and paper and it's starting
> to get really irritating!!
>
> Any thoughts folks? Don't know whether this is hardware or software
> based. Re-installed the printer but no help. I have the latest Epson
> drivers and otherwise everthing is hunky-dory with my PC. Is this the
> way printer's die??? Do I maybe new a new connector cable (looks fine
> to me though!) or a new printer - hope not cos I've bulk bought my
> ink!?! The printer hasn't been moved about or anything like that...
> Thoughts / suggestions welcomed!
> Thanks in advance,
> L ;o)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, worth trying before I go and buy a new printer!
L ;o)