AMD Will regain Crown And Throne

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Even though AMD is keeping much secrecy on their Plans. They do have plans to Counter and Encounter Intel’s Woodcrest and Conroe. They have been thinking and doing thing to keep on top of the ladder.
!!Ha-ha, I’m backing my info up this time!!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30250

And AMD had a Ace up their sleeves on Intel’s 'eNiGMA technology'
'I say.I'm glad Intel finally realized that AMD is a Very difficult competitor.'

Henri Richard says in the article
"AMD will pursue an "evolutionary" course. Henri Richard is "glad" Intel is "aligning" on AMD"

thebunny

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I don't think that from now on Intel will have processors that outclass AMD. the performance of both competitors will be almost similar.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Haha, what is AMD gonna counter with?
With a CPUs that eat double the power and are outperformed by the low-end parts? Sound VERY unlikely to me.

BTW, posting the INQ as a source is just like no source at all >_>

thebunny

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
CONROE IS NOT ON THE MARKET (is that to hard to understand???)
AMD has plenty of time to launch a beter processor :roll:

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thats what Im asking: What are they gonna counter with?
Their architecture is so inflexible, they will not be able to do anything until 2008-ish.

I hope that Conroe is all that Intel promissed, and I hope that AMD has something even better! Win-win situation for both AMD and Intel fanboys; better products all around.

Who has the performance crown? The AMD Athlon FX-60.

Conroe can't be purchased and neither can AM2 processors. The performance crown sits atop the head of a processor that can actually be purchased, not off of benchmarketing.

thebunny

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I hope that Conroe is all that Intel promissed, and I hope that AMD has something even better! Win-win situation for both AMD and Intel fanboys; better products all around.

Who has the performance crown? The AMD Athlon FX-60.

Conroe can't be purchased and neither can AM2 processors. The performance crow sits atop the head of a processor that can actually be purchased, not off of benchmarketing.
And he is right :mrgreen:
I am not an AMD fanboy, i am a price performande fanboy ant AT THE MOMENT
AMD has the p/p crown

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Even though AMD is keeping much secrecy on their Plans. They do have plans to Counter and Encounter Intel’s Woodcrest and Conroe. They have been thinking and doing thing to keep on top of the ladder.
!!Ha-ha, I’m backing my info up this time!!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30250

And AMD had a Ace up their sleeves on Intel’s 'eNiGMA technology'
'I say.I'm glad Intel finally realized that AMD is a Very difficult competitor.'

Henri Richard says in the article
"AMD will pursue an "evolutionary" course. Henri Richard is "glad" Intel is "aligning" on AMD"

I agree 100% AMD is playing possum right now. Let Intel think they are the greatest and when they go to sleep pounce on them!

They will wake in the morning of new that their flagship CPU has been bested.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Absolutely True, Let the Intel(the Bunny) think they got it made. And let them go to sleep with no worries of being beaten. The AMD(the Turtle) slow but steady will Win The race. And not just for a moment, AMD will go ahead for another 5 Years from what i see AMD do from the Last 5 years. So AMD Boys and AMD Likers. You people can pat yourselfs on the back for sticking with AMD through the (CONROE vs FX-60 battle) because AMD isn't going to go anywhere For the Near Future. And dont think AMD will be Letting Intel Beat them With a Overhyped Pentium3

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hell no, even though I'm saying 'AMD Boys' I'm not saying I Love AMD in anyway, it's just that I like AMD of its cheap price and its overall reliability. And AMD is the Underdog. Remember its still only about 15% give or take 5% of the INTEL market, just saying that every one of the Intel boys are saying that AMD is being dropped outta the market. It’s not true. It’s just that they let Conroe come out and seem like its better than what they have. But AMD just needs a few more months to let loose their hidden secrets. Remember AMD is the stronger so far because Conroe isn't out yet. AND No it's not I LOVE AMD post. Its an “AMD isn't one to be counted out, even if Conroe does live up to its Hype.” post

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
So is this some sort of I love AMD thread?

More of a prediction thread.

I am not biased at all. I love the fight between these two companies. Thank GOD for it.

Without it we would be in the Microsoft Era of CPU's. One company with a monopoly on the industry.

I buy whatever is best. Right now its AMD, I just upgraded from an Intel though and before that I had AMD. Round and round we go.... I love it!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Hell no, even though I'm saying 'AMD Boys' I'm not saying I Love AMD in anyway, it's just that I like AMD of its cheap price and its overall reliability. And AMD is the Underdog. Remember its still only about 15% give or take 5% of the INTEL market, just saying that every one of the Intel boys are saying that AMD is being dropped outta the market. It’s not true. It’s just that they let Conroe come out and seem like its better than what they have. But AMD just needs a few more months to let loose their hidden secrets. Remember AMD is the stronger so far because Conroe isn't out yet. AND No it's not I LOVE AMD post. Its an “AMD isn't one to be counted out, even if Conroe does live up to its Hype.” post

I think there's no reason we should be speculating about AMD's next core revamp. Because it won't be out till 2007. The AM2 processors are just the current crop but able to use DDR2. They should actually end up slower per clock then the current AMD CPU's (due to DDR2 latency). AMD will be late with the K9 so don't expect miracles. Conroe still has alot of tweaks it can incorporate. Heck it doesn't even have an intergrated memory controller and yet still is a dominating processor (due to full 128bit registers).

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

I think there's no reason we should be speculating about AMD's next core revamp. Because it won't be out till 2007. The AM2 processors are just the current crop but able to use DDR2. They should actually end up slower per clock then the current AMD CPU's (due to DDR2 latency). AMD will be late with the K9 so don't expect miracles. Conroe still has alot of tweaks it can incorporate. Heck it doesn't even have an intergrated memory controller and yet still is a dominating processor (due to full 128bit registers).

AMD can do the same before release. You can bet with the numbers Intel is putting out they are back to the drawing board with the AM2. No way will AMD just take a back seat to Intel without a good clean fight.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Absolutely, Although Intel Chip developers are More Experienced and better payed probbaly. They aren't as competative and as agressive to get a better and overall cooler CPU as the AMD developers. And i bet that if AMD developers are probbaly as Aggressive as their Fan base, then we've got a couple of MAd dogs and Airhogs trapped under our Dual Core processers.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
AMD can do the same before release. You can bet with the numbers Intel is putting out they are back to the drawing board with the AM2. No way will AMD just take a back seat to Intel without a good clean fight.

If AMD goes back to the drawing board then don't expect AM2 until 2007. There's no way they're going to do that. AMD do not have the resources to pull an nVIDIA or ATi (NV30/R520). They will release the AM2 and ride it out.. just like they did the AthlonXP. They'll continue to sell processors because of an established fan base.

It's not as easy as just going back to the drawing board.. each tape out of a core costs Millions.

Absolutely, Although Intel Chip developers are More Experienced and better payed probbaly. They aren't as competative and as agressive to get a better and overall cooler CPU as the AMD developers. And i bet that if AMD developers are probbaly as Aggressive as their Fan base, then we've got a couple of MAd dogs and Airhogs trapped under our Dual Core processers.

Intel is taking an aggressive stance. They're finally perceiving AMD as a viable threat (especially with the success of the Opteron) therefore to sum them up as tired old foggies is exactly what's brought AMD into this mess. They underestimated Intel just like AMD Fanboys did. Anandtech and Tom's Hardware both talked about Otellini steering the ship into a different direction. It's a large ship to steer and Intel was cautious and did so in quite the exceptional manner.

If I were about to invest in a company... I'd probably be buying Intel stocks right now.

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
AMD have stated that the new socket is purley a technology enabler (they are not even changing the performance rating with the new socket, i.e. same frequency same performance rating).
Once they are on the estabilished socket, we should then see some more optimizations come down the line (probably with the transistion to 65nm).
In the desktop and mobile sectors they will probably loose some ground for a while, however as far as AMD is concerned with the Server sector that is far more lucrative.
The new 1207 socket will allow them to go quad core very quickly and the extra bandwidth is far more important for SMP workloads.

In traditional DB/ERP/webserver workloads the extra latency isn't such a problem as average user response times are around 1 to 2 seconds anyway (so whats an extra 10ns??), it's the ability to process alot of users in parallel that is more important.
Just look at the new SUN T1 chip 8 really slow cores but capable of processing 32theads in parallel.
Around April-June this year SUN will be releasing a new 8 socket Opteron board (1207 pins) that will be quad core ready. Once quad core get released (early 2007), we'll be seeing 32 core Opteron servers.
Intel does not want Woodcrest to compete in the space as this is what they have planned for itanium (billions of dollers have already flown down this black hole).

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Personally I think Intel has shot themselves in the foot, by releasing performance data so, soon.
AMD is in the fortunate position that they are selling everything they can make. So a drop in demand, will probably make very little difference, although future orders may go down (will have to adjust their farcasts).
However Intel have quite a few chips they can't get rid of and any drop off in demand (cos people are waiting for conroe), may hit them further.

I see AMD maintaining profitablity and Intel loosing out.
One conroe hits the streets, Intel better be ready to supply CPUs and chipsets.
AMD will then either be forced to drop prices and/or up CPU speed or bring forward 65nm and any improvements.
Intel will have a lot of old P4 stock to get rid of.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
LoL, I'll take Some of those Extra P4's for Free. I'll only take if they are free. And load Emulators For XBOX 360 and PS2. Or if they Are completely Completely! Useless. I'll hook they all up To make a Beowolf Cluster. And make that thing Fold my Laundry Lol j/k i'll just Fold@home with those thing, I live in a Condo So Energy might not be a Big Problem because its free. But i'll need to Liquid Nitrogen Cool my Room. to keep it Room temprature give or take 100 Degrees *C.