HP 1100a scanner

I have an HP 1100a printer/scanner and I have been quite happy with it.
Recently I moved to a new PC which has a 3gHz P-4 as opposed to the old
one which was a 400mHz P-2 and I can't get the scanner to work. Printer
is fine. Local copy works fine but any attempt to scan to the PC gets
me an error: "Unable to locate scanner. Unable to start a scan session.
Device is disconnected."

This happens on both LPT1 (motherboard port) and LPT2 (SIIG PCI card).
Sent an inquiry to HP, never answered (I assume because 1100a is no
longer supported). Located a newer software disk on HP web site and
bought it, same result. Turned out that even though CD was newer, it
had the same version of the LaserJet documentation desktop, 4.3.2.50.

Installed the s/w on my laptop (500 mHz P-3) and its fine. All PCs are
running W2K + sp4 + updates. If I pull the printer cable, I get the
same error message.

If anyone can point me toward other software, hardware hacks or any
other suggestions, I am open. Its been working like a champ and I hate
to scrap it but I need the scanner.

I am also considering installing a seperate scanner such as the ones
shown at:

http://www.provantage.com/rwh_Ambir_Scanners_All.pdf

or a similar one. Does anybody have opinions on those?

On 30 Dec 2004 14:41:48 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers richgr@panix.com
(Rich Greenberg) wrote:

>I have an HP 1100a printer/scanner and I have been quite happy with it.
>Recently I moved to a new PC which has a 3gHz P-4 as opposed to the old
>one which was a 400mHz P-2 and I can't get the scanner to work. Printer
>is fine. Local copy works fine but any attempt to scan to the PC gets
>me an error: "Unable to locate scanner. Unable to start a scan session.
>Device is disconnected."
>
>This happens on both LPT1 (motherboard port) and LPT2 (SIIG PCI card).
>Sent an inquiry to HP, never answered (I assume because 1100a is no
>longer supported).

Check the port settings in the bios and try a different setting.
Standard => Enhanced => EPP
http://EdwardGRuf.com

In article <5qm8t0tb50hvkasob3j1a01bg8ljqngfsc@4ax.com>,
Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
>On 30 Dec 2004 14:41:48 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers richgr@panix.com
>(Rich Greenberg) wrote:
>
>>I have an HP 1100a printer/scanner and I have been quite happy with it.
>>Recently I moved to a new PC which has a 3gHz P-4 as opposed to the old
>>one which was a 400mHz P-2 and I can't get the scanner to work. Printer
>>is fine. Local copy works fine but any attempt to scan to the PC gets
>>me an error: "Unable to locate scanner. Unable to start a scan session.
>>Device is disconnected."
>>
>>This happens on both LPT1 (motherboard port) and LPT2 (SIIG PCI card).
>>Sent an inquiry to HP, never answered (I assume because 1100a is no
>>longer supported).
>
>Check the port settings in the bios and try a different setting.
>Standard => Enhanced => EPP

Thanks Ed, tried that already to no avail. Some settings the printer
didn't work. All settings that the printer worked, the scanner failed.

Forgot to mention in the earlier post, but it was suggested that this is
a software problem with the faster CPU, it doesn't wait long enough for
the scanner to reply.

> Forgot to mention in the earlier post, but it was suggested that this is
> a software problem with the faster CPU, it doesn't wait long enough for
> the scanner to reply.

in the Configure LPT Port Timeout (seconds), maybe you can set that to
higher than 90 seconds?

In article <10t90ndbp3nk299@corp.supernews.com>,
NJ <someone@example.net> wrote:

>> Forgot to mention in the earlier post, but it was suggested that this is
>> a software problem with the faster CPU, it doesn't wait long enough for
>> the scanner to reply.
>
>in the Configure LPT Port Timeout (seconds), maybe you can set that to
>higher than 90 seconds?

I can try it. Where would that be set? Device manager? BIOS?

> I can try it. Where would that be set? Device manager? BIOS?

in control panel / printers / right click on the printer & go to properties
/ Ports / Configure port

In article <10t9h9g32au6v12@corp.supernews.com>,
NJ <someone@example.net> wrote:

>> I can try it. Where would that be set? Device manager? BIOS?
>>

>in control panel / printers / right click on the printer & go to properties
>/ Ports / Configure port

Already set to 90 seconds.

In article <10t9h9g32au6v12@corp.supernews.com>,
NJ <someone@example.net> wrote:

>> I can try it. Where would that be set? Device manager? BIOS?
>
>in control panel / printers / right click on the printer & go to properties
>/ Ports / Configure port

Found it. Changed from 90 secs to 300, still no go. The error is
immediately upon clicking on "start scan".

This worked for me on both WinXP and Win2K machines

Control Panel
..System
....Device Manager
......Ports (Com & LPT)
...................................Click on the + sign to get it to expand
........Printer Port (LPT1)
...................................Select the Printer Port and right click and select Properties

There is a box [_] Enable legacy Plug and Play
Put a check mark in the box by clicking it.
Close up and restart the computer