A Call For Reasonable FanBoy-ism - Please Read

Hello All,

I've been reading and posting on this forum for about a month now. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here that have a lot to contribute. However, this board is currently being plagued by negativity and extreme fanboy-ism (both Intel and AMD).

I am calling for people to exercise what I would like to dub as "Reasonable FanBoy-ism".

I wear my AMD logo on my sleeve (not literally!), but I can open my eyes to Intel products and realize the advancements they are making. The fact that Intel and AMD are cut-throat competitors is a good thing for everyone. It means we will see product advancements and lower prices than what we would see in a processor monopoly.

Part of reasonable fanboy-ism is to quit all this "Intel Sucks" and "AMD Sucks" garbage. If you do not have a statement you can back up with facts, then don't say it. Learn to have an appreciation for other products, even if you choose not to purchase them.

It may be difficult for everyone to be objective when you have a brand preference, but if we all just attempt to be civil and respectful, things will be much better on this board.

If someone is trolling or being an extreme fanboy, IGNORE THEM. Don't throw fuel onto the flame fest. If you do not respond to the person's comments they will lose interest due to a lack of negativity.

Rules of Reasonable FanBoy-ism: (Working list, may add or delete items)

1. Back it up with FACTS!
2. Be respectful of others, no personal attacks
3. If someone is being an extreme fanboy moron/jerk: IGNORE THEM, DO NOT RESPOND!
4. See the value of competitive products, even if you do not choose to purchase them

Open for discussion! Have any ideas on "rules" that would help these boards to be more civil and more intelligent, post them!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
All Fanboyism is bad... there's nothing reasonable about it.

You can be a fan of a product, but to be a fan of a company is the same as my little sister cheering on the Backstreet Boys. :p

Ok, we are off to a bad start here.

Nobody on the boards cares about who started what. Hence the "IGNORE PEOPLE" rule/request.

Fanboy-ism, love it or hate it exists. I used to be an Intel Fanboy and converted over to an AMD Fanboy later on.

STOP THE NEGATIVITY, THIS THREAD IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Techno,

I think you might be fighting a losing battle. It is a shame too, since Toms used to be the premier place for REAL information. There have always been fanboys but like you said they used to BACK IT UP with intelligent conversation and DEBATE not slinging/flaming.

I think the folks you are talking to/about are a younger generation which are too easily swayed by what they think is COOL. This board has been lacking on information and rampant with a whole lot of "I think".

I say if you are a fanboy and you do not like what i say about INTEL or AMD or NVIDIA or ATI then prove me wrong via debate and information. The "your wrong" statements are nothing more than childish comments usually thrown by people who have little to NO information on the topic at hand.

Humor is very much different than flaming. What I find amazing is what the MODS allow.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This seems like a good idea for this thread but I see it getting ugly before it's all said and done. Not trying to be negative here, just throwing my two cents in.

I do applaud your efforts though.

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
There's not much you can do about jumped up kids trying to "big up" whatever hardware they're currently running, going on and on about it and instantly dismissing the competition they've not even seen, even if they're totally wrong; In their minds they own the best and can't handle something taking that away from them so their answer is post a message saying how rubbish a product is regardless if it's been launched or has technical merit.

I've just realised I've already devoted too much time to small minded brats and will cease.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The one thing I'd like to add is, these guys don't even realize how stupid they really sound too.

If anything, why don't all of them just throw out their papers and bring their machines to the table? Have some sort of competition. Is this possible?

I think it would be absolutely hilarious to find out the flamers are using the opposite of what they're promoting in these forums. I bet they are. I mean, how are we going to know? :mrgreen:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
This is a sensible and altogether reasonable proposal. It's just wise to play "nice". I advise all the "fanboy's" out there to tone down the flaming. Agree to disagree - but stop the flaming and abuse!

Jake Barnes, Moderator

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hello All,

I've been reading and posting on this forum for about a month now. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here that have a lot to contribute. However, this board is currently being plagued by negativity and extreme fanboy-ism (both Intel and AMD).

I am calling for people to exercise what I would like to dub as "Reasonable FanBoy-ism".

I wear my AMD logo on my sleeve (not literally!), but I can open my eyes to Intel products and realize the advancements they are making. The fact that Intel and AMD are cut-throat competitors is a good thing for everyone. It means we will see product advancements and lower prices than what we would see in a processor monopoly.

Part of reasonable fanboy-ism is to quit all this "Intel Sucks" and "AMD Sucks" garbage. If you do not have a statement you can back up with facts, then don't say it. Learn to have an appreciation for other products, even if you choose not to purchase them.

It may be difficult for everyone to be objective when you have a brand preference, but if we all just attempt to be civil and respectful, things will be much better on this board.

If someone is trolling or being an extreme fanboy, IGNORE THEM. Don't throw fuel onto the flame fest. If you do not respond to the person's comments they will lose interest due to a lack of negativity.

Rules of Reasonable FanBoy-ism: (Working list, may add or delete items)

1. Back it up with FACTS!
2. Be respectful of others, no personal attacks
3. If someone is being an extreme fanboy moron/jerk: IGNORE THEM, DO NOT RESPOND!
4. See the value of competitive products, even if you do not choose to purchase them

Open for discussion! Have any ideas on "rules" that would help these boards to be more civil and more intelligent, post them!

Thanks, Jake!

For a semi-noob, TC is knowledgeable beyond his years.

Very good proposal! Please heed ideas, forum members.

Still fanboy sh|tz flying everywhere.
Don't think it worked.

It's not that my ideas didn't work, it's just that a lot of people either didn't read them, or did read them and just didn't care. However, I must say things have calmed down now that people are getting bored with flaming each other over Conroe.

Yesterday I went over to the Video Card section to see if they had the same problem, but with nVidia/ATI fanboy wars, and to my surprise there wasn't much of anything that I saw in my brief visit!

Like the moderators have said, report the outrageous threads. I reported a thread and a moderator get back to me very quickly about it and took corrective actions.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
The Posters here have to Learn to limit themselfs to Pointles and unsuppoerted Fanboy is'm Lol Yeah me too. But i'm just hunkeringdown the hatch and letting the Monkey Sh!+ fly and only come up to shout "incoming!" and then take one to the face and then lock up and settle in again. WE're only gongi to learn by seting Our Moral limits. not by being fed them forcefully.