7600 GS to come to AGP

cleeve

Illustrious
The 7600 GT is a very high performance midrange GPU. Priced right, this would make a VERY NICE upgrade for AGP users.

The only question is, does the 7600 GS have disabled pipelines?

[EDIT] Yes, it does... 8 pipelines. Damn, why can't they just release the 7600 GT in AGP? An 8 pipeline 7600 is basically an overclocked 6600 GT. Nothing to write home about.[/EDIT]

http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=30223

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
That from a guy who shows he has an AGP Radeon 9550? :mrgreen: Seriously, if the 7600GS is priced >$200, NVIDIA is wasting their time. Sure there will be some buyers, but not enough. I think there is demand for a really decent (almost cutting edge) AGP Graphics card at a low price though.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
...[EDIT] Yes, it does... 8 pipelines. Damn, why can't they just release the 7600 GT in AGP? An 8 pipeline 7600 is basically an overclocked 6600 GT. Nothing to write home about.[/EDIT]

Well, it is more than an overclocked 6600 because it supports Pixel Shader 3.0 and such. That can mean alot to someone if they want to use Vista on their system, as Vista will "prefer" using the newest gen cards. In my post above, I just want to emphasize that an _INEXPENSIVE_ AGP card with the latest gen support would be great, that's all.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
The problem, here at least, is the price difference between the platforms. Take the X800GTO - an awesome card for ~$150-170.

It's too bad that the same card costs 240+ for an AGP version.

hongkongphuey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah this shift to PCI express is kind of funny. It's like they are trying so hard to get us to buy new PCI cards and Mobo's when AGP is still a good bulk of all mobo's out there. I really hope that some good stuff comes out for AGP soon, cause I'm not going to buy a new Mobo, CPU and RAM just for a new video card. It's too wasteful for me and I'm sure others in a similar situation. Nvidia wants everyone to have an SLI 7900 so bad but they still charge way too dam much for their hardware. Talk about inflation.

ATI :oops:
Nvidia :roll:
Their logic :x

The 7600 GT is a very high performance midrange GPU. Priced right, this would make a VERY NICE upgrade for AGP users.

The only question is, does the 7600 GS have disabled pipelines?

[EDIT] Yes, it does... 8 pipelines. Damn, why can't they just release the 7600 GT in AGP? An 8 pipeline 7600 is basically an overclocked 6600 GT. Nothing to write home about.[/EDIT]

The rats should have used 12 pipes. Price $135.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
mmmm.... Strange :eek:
But The Fact Is Lots Of People Still Have AGP Mobo (Like All Of My Friends ) and They Dont Want To Change CPU , Mobo , Memory and etc Just To Buy A New Card ...
I Think Creating AGP Card is a Good Idea , I`m Wondering Why ATI Doesnt Make X1900XTX AGP :D
:twisted:

[EDIT] Yes, it does... 8 pipelines. Damn, why can't they just release the 7600 GT in AGP?

Because then it would compete with their GF7800GS, can't have that 'cause then where would they sell their cast-off GTs?

It's funny that they want to keep the AGP market, but don't want to give them any good products, it's like I'm running their strategy department in the sense that I want people to move to PCIe and be done with it, so the only thing we'll offer them is crippled parts for too much money until they get the hint. That way the AGP-luddites also can't complain since technically they 'are supplying the AGP market'.

At this point in time though, we've all seen the writing on the wall, it's time to move to PCIe with all the nice hybrid boards out there (as you and I know), it's the perfect time for everyone except the AthlonXP guys who still have no hybrid solution that I know off, but they should move to AMD64 anyways if they are thinkng of adding VPU power above a GF7800GS.

Since they use the HSI bridge I doubt we'll ever see another FAST AGP card or 'cheap/bargain/value' one compared to their PCIe counterparts.

jeremy_pro

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
At this point in time though, we've all seen the writing on the wall, it's time to move to PCIe with all the nice hybrid boards out there (as you and I know), it's the perfect time for everyone except the AthlonXP guys who still have no hybrid solution that I know off, but they should move to AMD64 anyways if they are thinkng of adding VPU power above a GF7800GS.

Tru dat. Those 7900 and 7600 vga's from Nvidia are looking very sexy. But to go to pci-x now and to upgrade again in ,say, october when vista,dx 10, socket am2, intel conroe, maybe nvidia 8 series are released is not very resonable IMO. Hell I'll wait.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I think the AGP 7800GS is still the best AGP video card money can buy for the see-able future. Except for the 20 pipe UK only Gainwards.
(Even if there was a AGP 7600GS)
Now I think we can give this a rest.

Latest posts