I can't edit the fs9.cfg

I have earlier made changes to FS9.cfg without problems, but now I can't do
it anymore. When I open the cfg with notepad, make the changes (the
old.module trick to get rid of the warning message when loading FS9) and
save it, nothing new happens when I start the sim. Then when I go back and
open the cfgf again, I se that the changes I have made are gone. I try
again, and after saving I reopen the file and the changes are there. After
starting the Sim - they are gone. What has happened here and why can't I
keep the changes I've made.
Thx

Jens Weber
Las Vegas

Anytime the sim has a problem there is a file created named FS9.cfg.txt
.. Be sure you're changing the file named FS9.cfg, not the .txt file. (If the
..txt file is there just delete it).

Trip

"Wilhelmine A. Dillman" <wilhelmine@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have earlier made changes to FS9.cfg without problems, but now I can't do
>it anymore. When I open the cfg with notepad, make the changes (the
>old.module trick to get rid of the warning message when loading FS9) and
>save it, nothing new happens when I start the sim. Then when I go back and
>open the cfgf again, I se that the changes I have made are gone. I try
>again, and after saving I reopen the file and the changes are there. After
>starting the Sim - they are gone. What has happened here and why can't I
>keep the changes I've made.
> Thx
>
> Jens Weber
> Las Vegas

Be sure you follow this procedure:

1. Quit FS.
2. Open the cfg file and edit it.
3. Save it.
4. Start FS.

Hope this helps,

--
Tom Gibson
Cal Classic Propliners www.calclassic.com

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:13:23 -0700, Tom Gibson <noway@nohow.com>
wrote:

>Be sure you follow this procedure:
>
>1. Quit FS.
>2. Open the cfg file and edit it.
>3. Save it.
>4. Start FS.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Wilhelmine A. Dillman wrote:
>> I have earlier made changes to FS9.cfg without problems, but now I can't do
>> it anymore. When I open the cfg with notepad, make the changes (the
>> old.module trick to get rid of the warning message when loading FS9) and
>> save it, nothing new happens when I start the sim. Then when I go back and
>> open the cfgf again, I se that the changes I have made are gone. I try
>> again, and after saving I reopen the file and the changes are there. After
>> starting the Sim - they are gone. What has happened here and why can't I
>> keep the changes I've made.
>> Thx
>>
>> Jens Weber
>> Las Vegas

your .cfg file has no association with a program to open it, so you
have to do "open with" then choose Notepad and this will open it
with notepad where you can change things, then save it and that's it

Mark

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the advice which unfortunately didn't work. I then deleted the
CFG and restarted FS, made all my settings in the FS, exited and opened the
cfg with wordpad, made the additional changes, and voila - it worked.
Thanks for your support. This NG is just great.

Jens Weber

>Thanks for the advice which unfortunately didn't work. I then deleted the
>CFG and restarted FS, made all my settings in the FS, exited and opened the
>cfg with wordpad, made the additional changes, and voila - it worked.
>Thanks for your support. This NG is just great.

Advice: never ever use wordpad for this but notepad.exe

===
Best Regards
Katy

WordPad uses formatted text, as opposed to the pure text used by Notepad.

In short, the formatted text can screw things up...

> "Katy Pluta"
> > Advice: never ever use wordpad for this but notepad.exe
>
> Err... why?
>

> Dallas

dallas

"Lakeview Bill"
> WordPad uses formatted text, as opposed to the pure text used by Notepad.
> In short, the formatted text can screw things up...

I've used WordPad for years to edit .cfg files and it's always saved them
back into a text file. :-/

Dallas

>I've used WordPad for years to edit .cfg files and it's always saved them
>back into a text file. :-/

Usual argument that "I've used it for years and it works fine" until
the day it will screw it up :) It is not recommended, is all...

===
Best Regards
Katy

dallas

"Katy Pluta"
> Usual argument that "I've used it for years and it works fine" until
> the day it will screw it up :) It is not recommended, is all...

I like living on the edge... that's why they call me Danger Puppy...

DP

>I like living on the edge... that's why they call me Danger Puppy...

ROFL!!! Happy flying, woof! :)

===
Best Regards
Katy